Thread: Kitchen and household appliances

Kitchen and household appliances

When you buy kitchen and household appliances, you better check where it's made! Recently, I bought a Braun electric water kettle, the very same one I've bought 3 times before since the eighties. Only this time it was made in Czeck Republic, not in Germany! I had no idea and assumed it was the same good quality as usual, but no! When the water starts boiling it kind of stops, and then start again, and it's noisier, too. I went to the shop where I bought it, and they tried it a few times, but said there was nothing wrong. However, the shop assistent said another person had complained about the same item, but he would not take it back, since it worked when he tried. Arghh!

Last year, my Kenwood toaster kind of quit, the bread came up immediately when I put it in, but not every time. Well, I put it in the cellar in case I really needed it. Well, at Christmas 2010 I got a Philips toaster (made in China). It worked fine until a few days ago. The bread came up every time I put it in. So down to get the other one from the cellar, which I'm using now - until I find one that is not made in China, or some other similar country that don't care about quality!
    Last edited by Randi; 04-16-2011 at 12:47 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I wonder if you could have learned about this by reading Consumer Reports? I always check them for large / expensive items, but I probably wouldn't for these smaller ones.

Maybe I better start!

Freedom, yes I should have checked. We do have some good Consumer report sites, but this Braun kettle, looked exactly the same as the one I had before. In the future, I'll make sure to look under the item to see where it was made!

Btw, the Kenwood toaster, I've had since mid eighties - German made, of course!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

We had that experience with washing machines - we bought a Maytag, used to its reputation for quality, and it was awful - lasted maybe 3 years before is was broken too badly to fix, and it turned out that it was not made in America any more. That was sad, and frustrating.
    I've Been Frosted

Yes Karen, it's sad that such bad quality are being produced these days, especially when we are encouraged to not throw things away so much, but be environment conscious. What has this world come to!!

I want to go back to the seventies and do some serious shopping!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    It's pretty difficult to find any appliances that are made well and with good quality parts - especially small appliances. Most small ones are just throw away items anymore, no matter how expensive, or inexpensive that they are. I can remember as a kid, my Dad taking small appliances to a repair shop if he couldn't fix them himself. Who does repairs anymore?? - anyone?? I bought my son and DIL the Platinum Keurig Coffee Maker for Christmas - and it is made in China. It wasn't cheap by any means, so I'm hoping it lasts a good long time!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Pomtzu, you're right, I also remember the days when you took things to a repair shop, but I doubt they exist anymore. I'm just glad I still have some things that my mother left me. One thing is an iron from the sixties. It works just fine!

The other day I went to look for a new toaster, I saw a good offer on a Electrolux, which used to be good quality. I turned it upside down and saw it was made in China, so I didn't buy it.

I do hope your son's coffee maker will hold out more than a few years. I believe there is a two years warranty, though.

Oh, I bought a Miele vacuum cleaner a few years ago - now I don't dare look where it's made!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I've seen items made in the USA - from foreign parts. That's kind of defeating the purpose - right???
    I have an Oreck vacuum, and Oreck products are made/assembled in Louisiana in the U.S., but that doesn't mean all of the components are made here. So we are pretty much at the mercy of the manufacturer. They know if we want or need the product bad enough, that we'll buy it. It would be my guess that very few people know where the items that they have in their household were manufactured - me included for the majority of products!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Sadly, companies now only care about price, not about quality, and peoples' buying habits reinforce that - given the choice of two appliances, they invariably go with the less expensive one, regardless of quality. So cheaper and cheaper parts are used so companies make more profit, and when the machine breaks, well, you buy a new one, and they profit again!
    I've Been Frosted

Here in the States, they must be marked with country of origin. I sell appliances for a living. Believe me I KNOW! Every single day, someone comes in and want's something US or European made. When I show them the selections, they ALWAYS say "Oh not for that price." It's the price that reflects US labor standards and quality control. I've learned that it's worth it to shell out the money for a good "whatever" than to buy four of the cheaper brands! There are good things made all over the world. Your best bet is too find a reputable retailer and find an expert sales person to guide you. Unfortunately, brick and morter kitchen retailers are going by the wayside. Customers come in to touch and feel the product, get info and then buy online. Online business has a fraction of the overhead so they can lower prices. In addition, don't be so sure you are getting what you think you are getting online. Many of these are "refurbished". In addition, supporting your local retailer is a good idea on so many levels. Not least of, if you are unhappy with your purchase, a good retailer will stand behind it. Believe me, a good company will support their dealers!

We buy all our large appliances at a local store in the next town. They've been in business for over 75 years.

We may not get the cheapest price, compared to ABC Warehouse, or Lowe's, or Sears - but we get the best service anyone ever experienced.

I went in one morning, when they opened, to buy a freezer. I knew exactly what I wanted. I bought it, and they delivered it 3 hours later.

I had a TV problem not too long ago - called and spoke to the rerpairman on the phone. He walked me through the fix for it. Corrected within 10 minutes - no charge.

Karen mentioned washing machines. We have had Maytags, and Whirlpools. The best to buy are Speed Queen. They were first made for laundromats, then they turned to residential use. You know they have to be sturdy and reliable for a laundromat. They are the only company to give a 3 year guarantee on repairs.

Bought the washer and dryer last fall - love both of them

BTW if anyone want's any info on a brand, PM me and I can give you the skinny!

Quote Originally Posted by kitten645 View Post
    BTW if anyone want's any info on a brand, PM me and I can give you the skinny!
    Thank you, I am sure many will take you up on this!
    I've Been Frosted