Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plyšáček!

1. Plyšáček! Look at those fluffy paws! Look at the M on your sweet little head...look at that adorable trusting face -- and body!

When is the next flight to the Czech Republic! I must go and love on our Cat of the Day!!! Plyšáček!!

plus I am eager to go to the Czech Republic...I hear such good things...

How on Earth did y'all get those little accent marks over Plysacek's name?

Plýšáčék
    OOps...never mind...I played with google and found a way

Quote Originally Posted by MoonandBean View Post

Plýšáčék
    Yes, the "optional characters" are part of most typefaces, you just have to know the right keystrokes to get to them, which varies depending on which operating system you are using!
    I've Been Frosted

4. Quote Originally Posted by MoonandBean View Post

Plýšáčék
    I suspect most of us did...."Copy and Paste"!

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    I suspect most of us did...."Copy and Paste"!
    See now I never thought of that! I did, however, google "how to write in czech" and then copied and pasted from there

A long way around the pot to pull the chain.

See now I never thought of that! I did, however, google "how to write in czech" and then copied and pasted from there
    That would work, but it is a long way around the pot to pull the chain.

I have a Czech alternate keyboard layout available at my command, and most operating systems allow one to obtain this. Also, good operating systems provide a "character map" whereby you can select from the entire character set the character you need and then copy/paste it. This is slower than typing directly in Czech.

Also, Google Translate gives one a means to write in one language and translate to another. Sometimes the translations are fairly good.

Myself, I write directly in Czech, although English is my first language. I wanted to read Czech literature and philosophy, so I learned Czech in order to do so.

what those diacritical marks do

Plýšáčék
    The ý is wrong here, but the acute accent prolongs the vowel sound for half again its usual value.

The s with the hook sign "háček" [š] above it gives it the phonetic value "sh".
    Likewise the č: its phonetic value is "ch" as in "choose".

There should be no acute accent over the e in the cat's name.

Almost all Czech sentences have the stress on the first syllable. There is a difference in Czech between stress and prolongation of the phonetic value. A long a [á] is likely not stressed, but it has got to be prolonged in pronunciation. This is often difficult for non-Czech speakers to differentiate and master. The letter "y" and the letter "i" both are sounded as in Italian:hard e. There are subtle differences between these two that Czechs can hear. Likewise Czechs can hear the difference between y and ý.

The cat's name is in the DIMINUTIVE. In English we have Richard and Dick and Dickie. Czech diminutives evince affection and are vary common. So here we have formed the cat's name from the Czech word for plush, "plyš", and appended the affectionate diminutive; the cat's name is thus "little plush or plushie".