Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Some Olympic observations.

Some Olympic observations.

I am all for making the Olympics more exciting and competitive.

As the first week winds down here are some of my suggestions for additions/improvements for events.

Slingshots.

Slingshots in every event. Let the other competitors sit on the sidelines and shoot at the people they compete against. Can you see that in gymnastics or track and field.

Broken glass around the gymnastic out of bounds areas.

Make the archery target a tank that dunks people in the water.

Make the people in the marathon stop and do a beer or shot for every mile they run.

Attack dogs in the track and field running events!

Anyone notice the coaches on bicycles following the sculls at the rowing events? Put in some jumps and ramps. Why not take care of two sports at once?

Put up trip wires around the table tennis tables.

Beach volleyball on asphalt!

Instead of the horses doing the jumping at the equestrian events make the riders muck out the stalls, bathe the horses and let THEM do the jumping!

Anyone with a suggestion?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post

Broken glass around the gymnastic out of bounds areas.
    Nah, let's make it wet oil paint on the out-of-bounds areas - it'll paint anything that touches it, and be indisputable!

Loud buzzer if you take an extra step after landing ... BZZZZZZ!!!

Little pool with baby pirahnas in it immediately under the balance beam, and for men, under the parallel bars - you fall off, you'll have nibble marks to prove it!

Track and Field:

Marathon is grueling enough as it is ... - how about random sensors across the road that, when you cross it's path, a loud, random noise, or flashing light, or sparkly confetti falls - you know, just to text your "grace under pressure" and reaction time.

Same for cycling ...

Shotputs are sand-filled balloons that burst upon landing

Javelins, when they hit the ground, make wounded animal or human noises - randomized so different, but louder the further they get

Mat on which high-jumpers land trigger flashing lights on the sides, bigger impact, redder pattern! Sirens at certain intervals

Boxers - wet paint on the gloves, of course, nice, bright flourescent colors
    I've Been Frosted

Oh, man - I never knew that the two of YOU could think so much alike! SCARY!

(the pirhana idea was kinda cute though...just 'nibbles'...hee hee)
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

ANother marathon suggestion?

Screeching tire noises?

At the shooting events play loud carnival music, serve cotton candy and such and give away stuffed animals instead of medals!

ROTFLOL!!!

I can't think of anything to add to these but they are great!

From Decker with Love

Fire extinguishers! At the run up to the vault in gymnastics.

Swimming?

Use goggles that black out the swimmer's view. Who ever gets to the end of the pool without crashing, wins!

Barb wire pole vaulting and high jumping!

The decathalon events while texting on a PDA.

Team volleyball with two balls at a time.

Team discus, like regular frisbee! Catch and throw!

Long Jump? More pirahnas!

Switch the balls between table tennis and tennis.

Team handball with a shot put!

-----------

What is it with the close up shots of people that screw up in their event?

Hows about Mexican wrestling masks, so they don't have to go home where everyone knows what they look like!

No more interviews with the winner's family members! We always hear how wonderful they are. Talk to some of the other participants....more intriguing storylines. Phelps got to eat, sleep and swim to get to China. He said the has a new home and multiple cars. Now, I know he trained hard to get their but who paid for his 12,000 calorie meals, lodging and expenses.

Here in Cah Lee fuh Nee ah if you eat, sleep and swim every day, You live with mom, are unemployed and have a pool. We are not Olympians, we are slackers, lazy or incredibly rich.

What about the guy who had to train on donkeys in Uruguay to prepare for the dressage? (Not a true story. Just looking for that human interest spin.)

Some suggestions...

Eels in the steple chase pool.

Little water baloon cannons on the boats for the rowing events. You get a time bonus for accuracy

More interviews with the people who lose.

A Price is Right style spin off for events that result in a tie. Bonus for getting a dollar!

Diving into green Jello!

Random sport switching. The gymnasts and weight lifters switch ... the sprinters and distance runners switch ... the divers and swimmers switch. The baseball and softball pitchers use a shot put, and the shot putters use a ball.

Combine long jump and trampoline.

Add the cannonball as an Olympic dive. Let's see how big a splash they can make!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

WoW Didnt know we had PT'rs with such Imagining Minds.. You ALL are to be ashamed && your all just too Bad..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

ANother marathon suggestion?

Screeching tire noises?

At the shooting events play loud carnival music, serve cotton candy and such and give away stuffed animals instead of medals!
    Have them shoot with guns that deliver a stream of water right to the target, too, and a little bell at the end when someone wins.

Let the shooters do their thing just as the synchronised divers are getting ready to jump. Kapow - Splash!

This thread is great!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Quote Originally Posted by DJFyrewolf36 View Post
    A Price is Right style spin off for events that result in a tie. Bonus for getting a dollar!
    Why not give out a medals for spinning the "wheel"?

Medals for finding family and friends in the stands?

Medals for getting your nation's flag first and making it around the arena while holding it up?

I have to say I was watching track and field and saw a Jamaican athlete running with his flag all twisted around...I kepy yelling, "Straighten it out!!!"

Did anyone watch the gal from Europe fall during the hurdles?
    I felt so bad for her and thought about the Mexican wrestling mask!

Why not give out a medals for spinning the "wheel"?

Medals for finding family and friends in the stands?

Medals for getting your nation's flag first and making it around the arena while holding it up?

I have to say I was watching track and field and saw a Jamaican athlete running with his flag all twisted around...I kepy yelling, "Straighten it out!!!"

Did anyone watch the gal from Europe fall during the hurdles?
    I felt so bad for her and thought about the Mexican wrestling mask!
    The Swedish hurdler - she's pretty, so they had a long close-up of her before the race and talked about her ... I did feel bad for her, but loved that the Jamaican hurdler afterwards went to to her as she was leaving the stadium and told her to hold her chin up, these things happen, and not to feel too badly. THAT was good sportsmanship, IMHO.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    The Swedish hurdler - she's pretty, so they had a long close-up of her before the race and talked about her ... I did feel bad for her, but loved that the Jamaican hurdler afterwards went to to her as she was leaving the stadium and told her to hold her chin up, these things happen, and not to feel too badly. THAT was good sportsmanship, IMHO.
    She was a doll and I loved her hair.

Did you know that the IOC give out a 'sportsmanship" medal?

I saw where a Canuck sailor won it once for giving up his chance to win a medal when he saved two other competitors whose boats had capsized!

Another "SMS" medal went to a guy who was running the marathon and was in first place when some nut ran out from the crowd and tackle him. He did get a bronze medal after the incident-He managed to get away from his attacker, but his legs seized up and he ended up getting passed in the last part of the run.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Track and Field:

Marathon is grueling enough as it is ... - how about random sensors across the road that, when you cross it's path, a loud, random noise, or flashing light, or sparkly confetti falls - you know, just to text your "grace under pressure" and reaction time.

Javelins, when they hit the ground, make wounded animal or human noises - randomized so different, but louder the further they get
    Archery sound effects, so that when the arrow hits the target, there's a moan or a groan, an ooch or an ouch. Alternatively, paste pictures of the FBI Ten Most Wanted onto the archery targets.

Track and Field - the bell that signals the last lap - ring it about a lap and a half early and confuse the heck out of everyone.

If two gymnasts are tied, or one swimmer beats out another by 0.01 second, they both get the gold medal. No more hair splitting. Great is great.

^Phelps on the left, Cavic on the right^
    Isn't this a cool photograph?