Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: a little update with photos on my progress post surgery

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Michelle - I think the fail rate is high with the lap band, because people think that the procedure is some kind of magic bullet, and they can just continue to eat as they always did. As I said, my son had it done over 18 months ago and lost 100 pounds and has kept it off. He isn't restricted to any particular diet - he can eat what he wants and what he can tolerate - and his body will tell him real quick if it can't tolerate it, or if he eats just one bite too much. Some other people that he knows that have had the procedure just continue to stuff in as much as they can, and then wonder why they aren't getting the results they expected. Of course you can overeat and stretch the stomach back out! - and that's what these people are doing and also not having the band tightened as needed. Half the battle is psychological - you have to wrap your brain around the idea that there is some work involved, and if you aren't going to work at it, you might just as well not go thru the procedure in the first place.

I have NO stomach since I had what was left of it removed back in 2000 because of medical issues, so I know what it's like for anyone who goes thru any of these weight loss procedures. I wish I could gain some weight!!! - if I can keep at 100 pounds, I consider that good. I have the same issues - I eat what I can tolerate and pay for it if I eat one bite too much. It takes some getting used to - either my way or by choice - but you can live a very normal life even tho your insides might be somewhat abnormal!

Keep up the good work - and happy eating!.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Michelle - I think the fail rate is high with the lap band, because people think that the procedure is some kind of magic bullet, and they can just continue to eat as they always did. As I said, my son had it done over 18 months ago and lost 100 pounds and has kept it off. He isn't restricted to any particular diet - he can eat what he wants and what he can tolerate - and his body will tell him real quick if it can't tolerate it, or if he eats just one bite too much. Some other people that he knows that have had the procedure just continue to stuff in as much as they can, and then wonder why they aren't getting the results they expected. Of course you can overeat and stretch the stomach back out! - and that's what these people are doing and also not having the band tightened as needed. Half the battle is psychological - you have to wrap your brain around the idea that there is some work involved, and if you aren't going to work at it, you might just as well not go thru the procedure in the first place.

I have NO stomach since I had what was left of it removed back in 2000 because of medical issues, so I know what it's like for anyone who goes thru any of these weight loss procedures. I wish I could gain some weight!!! - if I can keep at 100 pounds, I consider that good. I have the same issues - I eat what I can tolerate and pay for it if I eat one bite too much. It takes some getting used to - either my way or by choice - but you can live a very normal life even tho your insides might be somewhat abnormal!

Keep up the good work - and happy eating!.

You hit the nail on the head, none of the surgerys are a magic pill, they all take tons of work. The teacher that spoke to us said lap band is not as quick but has more long term success because it is slower. I think of course it depends on the person and how ready they are. The stomach can stretch out again, you have one do over and if you blow it you blow it. You can graze all day and you will not keep the weight off. I want to live to spend time with my grandkids and I want some energy to be able to enjoy them, I can hardly tie my own shoes and I am fed up with that.

Pom...I have some weight I would be willing to give you!
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!