Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: benadryl- updated..new question

benadryl- updated..new question

yes,another thread on allergies Kodies been really itchy lately,and i was wondering if Benadryl will help with the itching?
    Last edited by sammy101; 04-06-2006 at 03:39 PM.

Probably. However my vet did once tell me that some dogs aren't effected by benadryl at all. I'd try it though, more likely than not it will help. As for the dose it's 2 mg per pound the dog weighs. So if Kodi weighs 10 lbs you can give him 20 mg of of the Benadryl. (I know Kodi weighs more than that I was just using 10 lbs as an example. ) You can give benadryl up to 4 times per day (every 6 hours).

Also bathing Kodi in an oatmeal shampoo may help. A bath period will probably help, it will get the allergen out of the fur. I'd limit the time Kodi spends outside too.

I'd also wash Kodi's bedding (I use a colorless & fragrance free detergent, no fabric softener and no dryer sheet).

I also spray my furniture and carpet with Febreze allergy reducer.

Lastly as a topical spray I love Allercaine. It quickly deadens the itch. I know because I use it on myself when I get a mosquito bite.

It seems like a lot, but believe me it helps tremendously. I go through this with both my pomeranian, Bitsy, and my husband, Justin.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

thankyou!
    I have Oatmeal shampoo,but its cheap stuff from Target,so whenever we go to Petsmart again i'll get some better stuff.But he did just get a bath last Thursday.and his beds were recently washed..i'm not sure what kind of detergent though since my mom washed them.
    Again,thanks for all the info!

I gave Mandy Benadryl for her allergies. It helped but it wasn't quite enough. She has to take a prescription antihistamine. I use it in between getting her prescription sometimes.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by sammy101
    thankyou!
    I have Oatmeal shampoo,but its cheap stuff from Target,so whenever we go to Petsmart again i'll get some better stuff.But he did just get a bath last Thursday.and his beds were recently washed..i'm not sure what kind of detergent though since my mom washed them.
    Again,thanks for all the info!

The detergent may not bother him. I just find that the colorless, fragrance free kind works best for both Bitsy and Justin. It may help to spray febreze allergy reducer on Kodi's bedding between washings too. Every time he goes outside he picks up pollen and then it gets on his bedding and the carpet and anywhere he goes. You bring it in too and track it on the carpet and anywhere you go (assuming you have carpet). All that then irritates Kodi.

Justin and I are in the process of buying a new house and when we move in one of the first things we're going to do is rip out the carpet and put tile and wood throughout the whole house. Carpet is just too hard on people and animals with allergies. I'm not saying you have to rip out your carpet, just know that it holds allergens and the things that irritate Kodi. Extra vacuuming will greatly help.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

One benedryl a day helps Charlie immensly!

Not sure of what the proper dosage for a smaller dog would be, so I will state the obvious but contact your vet for an appropriate dosage.

Be careful breaking the pill open into water or on food though. To get the full strength of the medicine they would have to drink EVERY drop of water or eat every piece of food (and lick the bowl clean). I just slip the pill in a piece of hot dog and my two are none the wiser

facebook

I put his pill in a hotdog,so he does eat it all
    Anyways,since we're not moving to Canada quite yet,were going to be buying a house here,and we've been looking for a house with hardwood floors/tile.So hopefully that would help him.

That would probably help a lot. Also look into getting an ozone maker/air purifier witha HEPA filter that gets allergens out of the air. That will help A LOT, and will help keep you healthier, too!

facebook

What about sneezing?? My Charlie sneezes when I open the door, or when he gets really excited. AND he is itchy.

I think I'll try that spray. He HATES baths. I have to take him to get groomed.

Now, when you say benedryl. Is it the human kind? or do dogs have their own benedryl?

Quote Originally Posted by ashleycat
    What about sneezing?? My Charlie sneezes when I open the door, or when he gets really excited. AND he is itchy.

I think I'll try that spray. He HATES baths. I have to take him to get groomed.

Now, when you say benedryl. Is it the human kind? or do dogs have their own benedryl?
    Human kind. I just go to walmart, buy the offbrand benedryl (the "no name" brand, its so much cheaper and just as effective!), and give one pill. If he is itchy is should especially help. If you are unsure always call your vet!

facebook

Another question...
    Kodie was fine with his allergies until i recently gave him a bath..with a cheaper shampoo from target. My parents and i were thinking maybe its the shampoo?He wasnt this bad until i gave him a bath
    We are very willing to spend on a different shampoo,a higher quality one from like Petsmart. Any recommendations? He hasnt been himself b/c he's so itchy If he doesnt get better then he's most likely off to the vet.

Definitely sounds like the shampoo was the culprit

Don't know what to recommend.. probalby not Hartz, but the 8in1 brands I have always had success with, they should sell those at Petsmart.

facebook

It would be a possibility thats for sure. Just before you give him any more baths I would really rinse him off well, even good shampoos can cause irritation if not rinsed thoroughly. But you said he "wasn't this bad until I gave him a bath" does that mean he has some slight irritation? If so then the shampoo probably caused the outbreak, weather it was actually the ingredients or just the irritation of being bathed.
    Personally I'd rather be safe than sorry & dump the shampoo.

Good luck at the vets & let us know how it goes!
    Soar high & free my sweet fur angels. I love you Nanook & Raustyk... forever & ever.

thanks. I'll give him a good rinse tomorrow,i'll give him a good rub with warm water,hopefully that will help.And no we're not going to use Harts shampoos.

I found some on the website,they sound alright.Isnt Oatmeal shampoos good for dry skin?and i've also heard try to stay away from products with dyes in it?
    this one

this one

this one

or this one

Oatmeal is excellent for dry skin; aloe is even better

facebook