Thread: Major flea infestation cleanup

Major flea infestation cleanup

Okay, when Tinkerbell disappeared, he'd had a pretty nasty case of the fleas, and when he came back... they'd gotten worse. He's honestly not able to clean himself all the way. We're talking silver-dollar sized thick clumps of flea crap.

Now that he's got advantage on, the fleas are gone... but the flea crap is not. Bathing him doesn't work... it just gets them wet. What's the easiest way to remove this stuff from him? It makes him itch, and dries out his skin, beyond the aesthetically displeasing aspects of it, and the fact that he leaves a crust of flea crap wherever he sleeps.

Anyone recommend something for this? He's recovering well from his trip, if slowly. His wounds are healing (nicely scabbed over, swelling is going down) and he's starting to slowly put back on weight, but considering the fact that he's 16, recovery is slow. The advantage has helped enormously in his energy levels.

Tinkerbell

Well I have had that problem in the past & I used just people Hair Conditioner & bathed my baby with that & it put moisture into the furr & got the poop out. Hope I helped
    Attached Images Attached Images  

If he is really bad, you may want to consider taking him to a groomer if all else fails. However first I would try using the conditioner, maybe a mild kind like for a child and careful combing. Hope Tinkerbell feels better soon and the nasty flea mess is all taken care of. Poor baby, hope he learned his lesson about the great outdoors and is a good boy now!

Thanks so much kittycats_delight for the beautiful siggy and avatar of my kids!

lol... he knows well about the outside. He's been out there for 16 years. He's now learning the lessons of the great indoors. He's always had a tendency to disappear for a couple of days every so often, but this time, we were especially concerned.

He's sitting in an open window, sunning his old bones and feeling quite pleased with himself.

Thanks for the suggestions. Can anyone recommend a good, gentle flea comb? He's all skin and bones, and I don't want to hurt him trying to clean him up.

Tinkerbell

I think most pet stores carry real soft bristle brushes for the youngest & oldest of our cats. Or cant find in the pet dept, then try the ladies brushes for a real soft bristle. Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks. I'll keep you guys updated on progress.

I think I'd invest $5.00 in a Capstar pill from a vet and get them all off in 24 hours or less. Call around to find a vet that has them.