Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: An Explanation, and a Plea for Forgiveness...

An Explanation, and a Plea for Forgiveness...

First of all, let me just say thank you to everyone for your kind words. They mean so much to Bella and myself. I wanted to kind of let everyone know what happened, and to ask for forgiveness. I have never had a harder few days. Yesterday started off no different than any other day, really. Bella and I were getting ready to go to work. I put Arthur in the 'laundry room', which is an area outside which is walled in and has a bolted door, that bolts from the outside. I figured he'd be able to hang out there for the couple hours we were at work, while the other 3 hung out in the yard. The door/gate is over 5 ft high. I went back inside to finish getting ready, when i hear fighting outside.... i run out and arthur had managed to get out of the laundry room by climbing over the gate, and had Charlie in his mouth. This attack was unprovoked. And again, he wouldn't let him go. We kicked, beat and did everything we could to get Charlie loose, including picking up a shovel and beating Arthur over the head with it. Nothing was working! Charlie was screaming. I ran inside and called 911. They called Animal Control. Bella managed to get them separated, and was standing between them, with the shovel in her hands screaming for me to get Charlie in the house, which i did.

That's the explanation. Now, I need to ask for forgiveness. Crying and hysterical, we decided that the best thing to do was to put my big boy down. If he could clear a 5 1/2 ft gate to attack unprovoked, what was next? Our wall is shorter than the gate. What happened if he jumped it to get to a dog outside? What if we rehomed him and he attacked a child? We were out of options. I cry now as I write this, because i still wonder if there was something we could have done. At 8am, Dec. 2nd we took Arthur into Animal Control to have him put down. I have never had to do a harder task in my life. we kept talking to him, telling him we loved him, and that we were sorry but I still feel so guilty. He was just a baby, barely 8 months old. And I'm responsible for taking his life. Does that make me a bad mom?

then today, I had to take Charlie to the vet because I noticed a large puncture wound I hadn't noticed yesterday. They shaved a good half of him, from his ears to behind his front legs. And omg! He's so torn up. There is a HUGE wound, the size of a quarter which is really very close to a thru and thru. There are dozens of punctures, bruises and bite marks. He's on anti-biotics, and I have to flush all the major punctures twice a day, which is not as simple as it sounds. The vet said he was very lucky that he didn't get killed. And at that moment I felt so angry. With myself, with Arthur, with Charlie. That is such a horrible feeling.

Please, please forgive me! Arthur, please forgive me. I love you, sweet boy. I'm so sorry and I love you dearly. Rest easy, little boy. You are sorely missed.
    "He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
    -- Immanuel Kant

Sounds like you did the right thing I don't stand in judgement I think if he was doing this at 8 months old it most likely would have escalated and possibly to a person.

Hugs to all of you.

*~ HUGS*~ To you, Bella and the crew.... Get well soon Charlie.

Arthur will always love you! I'm sure he knew something was not right with himself.... he doesn't blame you, nor do I!

You did what was right to protect your household, and anyone that may have come into your yard!

He's at peace now, and he has you to look after now!

Again, Get Well Soon Charlie!!!

Many many *~Hugs~* to you all.

RIP Sweet Arthur, you have nothing to fear now... play hard.

~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

I firmly believe that some dogs are just born wired wrong--through no fault of their owners they have issues that can't be overcome. Sounds like Arthur was one of those dogs. I'm sorry that his dog aggression couldn't be managed and that you had to make that decision.

I hope Charlie will recovery quickly from his injuries. Flushing wounds is not fun! I've had to do it a few times myself.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

There's no need for us to forgive you, dear heart. And I am sure Arthur already has. The work you will have helping Charlie recover is enough burden on your heart.

You did the right thing sending Arthur to the Rainbow Bridge. I know that in my heart. He was probably as confused by the changes in his own behavior and had no more understanding of it than we do. He lived 8 months of a loved and cherished life. Many dogs don't even get that.

I hope at some point you let his breeder know, so they can tell other pups from his litter's owners about the potential danger.

Arthur was a beautiful dog, and a loved dog. Think of him aggression-free at the Rainbow Bridge, okay?

It must have been a very hard decision and you must be very upset but you know you have done the right thing.

RIP Arthur

JC, I think you and Bella did the right thing. Sometimes, hard as it is for me to say this, it's the best option. A dog that large and strong who is "wired wrong" as Glacier said (and I agree with her), would just be a serious danger to the public. Yes, there was a chance that he could have been rehomed, but what if that home didn't work out? What if the people in that home weren't honest about his animal aggression when they then surrendered him? What if they really couldn't handle him or treated him wrong and his aggression turned to humans?

I'm so sorry you had to make this decision and I hope Charlie heals quickly and without infection.

I'm sorry you all had to go through this.

{{{{{Hugs to you all}}}}}

Please don't feel guilty! What could you do? I believe you did the right thing. Arthur is at the RB waiting for you and he will not be angry at you. Whatever was wrong with him will be ok now that he's there. So sorry you had to go through this and for the loss of your Arthur. Hugs to you and Bella and your pups. I hope Charlie gets well soon.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

You Did What You Had To

My heart aches for you and the sadness you feel over what has taken place in your family. i can only imagine how terrible this was for you to live through. you need not feel guilty or ashamed of what you did, it was the kindest act for Arthur and the rest of the fur babies you have. Arthur is at peace now and is not a threat to anyone, anymore. It's going to take time for you to heal as this really isn't much different than losing a pet due to an illness or old age. It all hurts the same. yes it's sad when it's a young dog but you had no other choice. You likely saved a worse situation from happening. Don't be too hard on yourself, you have suffered enough pain already. God Bless and help you're broken heart mend fast.
    (((((gentle hugs)))))
    Nikita Mommy & Daddy Miss You So Much.....Always Will....Look For Cappy Sweetie & Keep Each Other Company. Cappy You Stole So many hearts Sweet Boy. We All Love You & Miss You. Play Hard Sweet Babies.

You absolutely did the right thing, as hard as it was, please don't feel guilty. And lots of hugs to Charlie, I hope he recovers soon without any ill effects, emotionally or physically.

i think you did that right thing.Im sure he didnt want to live like that all his life..which is very sad. im so sorry about your Arthur.
    {{Hugs}}

RIP Arthur

I really believe you did the right thing. I for one, commend you for being a strong enough person to make what was obviously the right decision.
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

What a difficult decision you had to make. Our thoughts and prayers are with in you in this rough time for your family.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

As I stated earlier, it's much easier for a lot of people to say what they would have done if it were them. You did what you think was best for everyone involved. It sounds like Arthur did have some major issues that couldn't be addressed. It's sad but at least he's at peace now. I hope Charlie gets a lot better soon.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I agree with everyone elses sentiments.... he was just not right for one reason or another,, and you did your very best.... He is happy and aggression free at RB,, I am sure of that.... Please forgive your heart..... you did the most loving thing possible,,, you gave him forever freedom and no worries for an eternity.....