Thread: The Plants That Will Not Die

The Plants That Will Not Die

A field of genitically modified wheat has somehow planted itself into a farmers field. 90% of all wheat grown in America is for export & gen-mod wheat
    is banned from import in most European countries & it isn't approved for use in USA either. Workers tried to kill the plants, but they are resistant to all known pesticides.
    Thanks a lot Monsanto.

http://www.rr.com/news/topic/article...n_Oregon_field
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Wheat is an annual plant. Mow it down. It sure won't grow back then!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I dislike all the fear-mongering around genetically modified food - farmers have been selectively breeding plants for generations, but no one screamed then.

I know it isn't the same thing, but do some scientific, independently monitored and rigorously scientifically sound studies before we panic, folks. It ain't the boogie monster, it's a plant. And of course it "will die" - if ya yank it up, it'll die, instead of dumping chemicals on it that will get into the groundwater and then us, it will most assuredly die.
    I've Been Frosted

Let me guess, Monsanto has something to do with it?

I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

And once again emotion and propaganda thrash sound science.

I'm not a fan of Monsanto's techniques, as they involve mass quantities of pesticide and herbicide to prep fields, but the GMO scare is assinine.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

It's just a ruse for the US government to bring back wheat pennies.

---------------

Monsanto used to sponsor a ride for Disneyland.

You'd jump on and they would 'shrink' you and send you into a snowflake.

Nice to see they have done something 'constructive' with their money?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Thru_Inner_Space

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    It's just a ruse for the US government to bring back wheat pennies.

---------------

Monsanto used to sponsor a ride for Disneyland.

You'd jump on and they would 'shrink' you and send you into a snowflake.

Nice to see they have done something 'constructive' with their money?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adventure_Thru_Inner_Space

Thanks for the Wikipedia article Richard. Interesting, and reminds me of The Incredible Shrinking Man.

Nice to see that Monsanto has gone on to the food industry. They have cornered the market on GM seeds.

What gets me is if they are so safe, why does the Company need (Law) that protects them from any furture liability if down the road
    it proves to be a genetic nightmare?

http://www.mnn.com/earth-matters/pol...protection-act
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

For the same reason that Vaccine companies need legal protection. No matter how sound the science, an ambulance chaser with a hand picked jury can cost a company millions. You don't need sound scientific grounds to file a lawsuit, just fear and propaganda.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    For the same reason that Vaccine companies need legal protection. No matter how sound the science, an ambulance chaser with a hand picked jury can cost a company millions. You don't need sound scientific grounds to file a lawsuit, just fear and propaganda.

Drug companies have legal protection from some of the best (expensive) law firms around the world. The laws should be for the benefit of all people and not
    slanted to protect the group with the deepest pockets.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Drug companies have legal protection from some of the best (expensive) law firms around the world. The laws should be for the benefit of all people and not
    slanted to protect the group with the deepest pockets.
    Nor should laws act in a manner to create a cash register through legal extortion.