Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got Bees???

Got Bees???

Today hubby and I were working around the Barn, and we happened to look up, and this is what we saw!

View from inside the Barn window

Maggie,

I didn't slap you, I just high fived your Face!
    I've Been Boo'd!!

Is that a hornets' nest?! Holy crap!!! Knock that sucker down when it's nice and cold and wintry outside!

Wow! That's a giant bee's nest!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

Quote Originally Posted by jenn_librarian
    Is that a hornets' nest?! Holy crap!!! Knock that sucker down when it's nice and cold and wintry outside!
    Yup it is a Hornets nest, and we have no intentions of messing with it, till there is snow on the ground!
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

Oh my

It looks like a work of art! I would hate to tangle with the occupants. Snow on the ground sounds good to me..... Impressive.

I would rather take an shotgun to it than mess with it at all! Cool pics though!

Wow!! You don't really see the nests get that big around here (near people anyway). The height must of been to their advantage. They must not be bothering you guys to get a nest that big.

It's really pretty.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

GEEZ! I would have ran and not went back until it was gone!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

We never noticed the Hive, caue it is at the top peak of the barn, In the back towards the woods. We Hardly ever go back there. Probably better that way, at least we dont have to worry about the kids messing with it.
    Maggie,

I've Been Boo'd!!

W W! That is scary and beautiful at the same time!

My co-worker was just telling me that she had one in a tree in her front yard this past weekend. They called the township to find someone to come out and remove it and they were no help at all. She and her husband went out to dinner and when they came back they noticed a branch was sawed off of their tree. It turns out that some neighbors took the situation into their own hands because they have kids and were afraid they'd get stung. Apparently they soaked the nest with bee spray and then sawed the tree branch down. Then they burned the nest. My co-worker was happy that the nest was gone but not so happy when she thought of all that could have happened and the fear of legal repercussions since this all happened on her property. All's well that ends well I guess.

Yikes!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Holy Smoke's that's huge!

My nabour had one of those but they got it when it was small!

I was going to say you haven't looked UP in a LONG while for it to get that big. But then you poste aobut ti being in the back.

When I was at the vet's last week, they had an emergency call, someone was bringing in a lab who stepped on a nest of mud wasps. UGH, poor doggie!

Waiting for snow sounds like a mighty fine idea! Then the critters are all dead, and you can remove it and mount it inside in your living room! (I knew someone in Maine who had TWO mounted in her living room. )

Quote Originally Posted by Freedom
    When I was at the vet's last week, they had an emergency call, someone was bringing in a lab who stepped on a nest of mud wasps. UGH, poor doggie!

Waiting for snow sounds like a mighty fine idea! Then the critters are all dead, and you can remove it and mount it inside in your living room! (I knew someone in Maine who had TWO mounted in her living room. )
    omg WHAT are mud wasps??? I will NEVER WALK IN MUD AGAIN...at least 'till you tell me what they are. lol.

ewwwwwwww nests freak me out...they're pretty but ugly lol.
    OMG at this place we used to go to every year for a field trip, they had this big thing like a book almost, mounted on the wass and its 'pages' were glass and they put bees in it...real, live bees and they would build a nest and you could swing it around like flipping the page of a book was see inside the nest, and since it was mounted to the wall there was a hole so the bees could go out and do whatever bees do, and I HATED IT. I was always positive the bees would escape and kill everyone (i was in 2-5 grade!)
    in on the joke and i cant stop laughing

Wow, it is beautiful!