Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: More surgery (2) needed for me.... NEW UPDATE !!!post 42

More surgery (2) needed for me.... NEW UPDATE !!!post 42

In March this year the surgeon removed a hernia on my spine, which got a nerve pinched. Our hopes was that the freed nerve would heal and give NO more pain.....
    It is 5 months ago now, and that nerve is hurting more than ever. I've even tried out a new promissing medication; but no use again. The only way to treat this pain is surgery called SCS (=Spinal Cord Stimulation).

Let's explain this a bit. SPS is a medical therapy for people who suffer from a certain type of chronic pain. A small implanted device is used to generate tiny electrical impulses : these replace the feeling of pain with a tingling sensation. This is NOT a cure for the pain: the objective with this therapy
    is to reduce pain to a manageable level.

So I will get surgery on september 5th : I will receive local anesthesia, and then my doctor carefully inserts the lead (a special insulated wire) through a needle in the mid-back.

During the screening test, the doctor or nurse asks questions about the location and intensity of the stimulation, or tingling sensation. This is the reason why I have to stay alert during this operation.This process continues until they have found the best pain coverage.
    After the lead is inserted, the test period may continues for 1 month. The screener, which is still attached to the implanted lead, is sent home with me. During this time, I will test the system by adjusting the screener to meet my pain management needs.

After this trial period, I have to get permission from the National Health Service. This period mostly takes from 1 to 2 months; The shocking thing is that during this waiting period, the device will be unplugged. This means that the pain will come back , even more intense than before .

Then during a 2nd surgery, the surgeon implants a non-rechargeable system which uses a battery beneath the skin. This will happen somewhere in november.

The battery needs to be replaced every 2 years, depending on how much I use the device.

There is a very good video which explains it all better. Go to this link
    http://www.back.com/treatment-pain-n...imulation.html and then scroll down to where it says "play video"

I am looking forward to this with mixed feelings. What I will need most, is good-luck-vibes from all my friends here on Pet Talk!!
    Last edited by Maya & Inka's mommy; 09-18-2007 at 04:49 AM.
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I hope only the best for you, Lut

Gosh, this sounds complicated and a bit stressful, especially during the "off" time while you are waiting for round 2. I trust this will give you relief. Oh my. Please keep us posted on your progress. I am sure you will.

We will all be thinking of you, and wishing you only the best of outcomes.

Wow! I think I would like this route rather than taking drugs! I would be scared to death but I know when you suffer in sever pain with no relief, you are willing to do just about anything to have some relief. Actually, this sounds scarey but I could see where it would be the better option..... no side effects, no worry about becoming addicted, or having to use drugs long term, just a number of things where I see this as the better option.

Good Luck and I hope you get the best possiable results and can go on and lead a normal, pain free life.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I'm so sorry, Lut. You've been through so much. Best wishes with the surgery and a life free of pain in your near future.
    {{{{{{{HUGS}}}}}}}

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I wish you all the luck in the world that these surgeries help ease and END your pain!

My prayers and thoughts will be with you.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

That was very interesting to read all about. It sounds scary but VERY encouraging. This pain must be so depressing and so exhausting for you to bear. The device sounds like it is jsut for you though! It seems you meet all the criteria. You may be feeling so much better by Thanksgiving or Christmas!! Then, 2008 can be a very happy and comfortable year.

((((LUT))))

Oh, gosh Lut - I was so hoping that the last surgery was just taking time to heal!

This sounds promising!

Stupid question - but one would almost wish they could just remove the nerve itself! Or cauterize/laser it!

Can you apply for permission from National Health BEFORE the trial period?

BIG prayers for you and that everything goes well. As long as you get relief! That is the most important!

HUGS, SIS!!!! XOXO
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

You have my positive vibes and prayers for a sucessful surgery and
    also a speedy recovery from both operations. This does sound like it
    just might do the trick. here's hoping & praying for a final release from
    the pain.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hope this is a little encouraging news, my FIL's neighbor had this proceedure done to him, he was pretty much bedridden, he is now up and walking around! So, hopefully this will work for you too!

Catty1 - FYI - You cannot remove nerves, but you can 'burn' them closed for 6-12 months, with a proceedure called: Radiofrequency Lesioning. But nerves grow back and the hopes with this is that when they do grow back, it will take another path, which keeps you out of pain. This proceedure can be done over & over - sort of like 'training' the nerves to grow the path you want them to take.

They just did this proceedure on my lower back, and I am 6 weeks past - so far I am getting relief, but the days I feel good I tend to over-do and then next day I feel worse But it is getting better - slowly! (too slowly for me, but then again I'm impatient!! )

Good luck with the up and coming surgery, Lut!!! - I really do hope it helps with you, I know what back pain feels like!

Sending lots of headbumpies & wet kisses your way..........
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

Oh Lut, You have been through so much! This surgery sounds really positive. Please give us updates.

hugs!

I can see where you're having mixed feelings, Lut. But hopefully this procedure witll give you relief from pain for a long long time! Sending you positive vibes & prayers for a successful surgery & quick recovery!

Lut, I'm so sorry to hear that you're still in a lot of pain and will have to have more surgery. This does sound very promising and I hope that everything will work out well. I'll continue to keep you in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Dear Lut, I am so sorry for all you have gone through and now this.

I hope the surgery will be successful and you will not have to suffer this horrible pain any longer.

Saying prayers that all goes well and sending loads of love and good wishes,

Pat, Peony, Sydney, Poppy, Elmer, and Priscilla Angel

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1
    Can you apply for permission from National Health BEFORE the trial period?
    No ...! That would be perfect, hey! The docs have to be sure that the system works for me !

Thanks everybody for the sweet thoughts and the positive vibes . It feels so good to know I have so many caring friends here
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Oh Lut, I'm sorry you have to go through even more surgery. I hope this all works out for you and eventually no more pain! My prayers will be with you.{hugs}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla