Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Thread: The Book Thread

I haven't read a hobby book for awhile, but right now for summer reading ( ) I'm reading "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time". I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, it's a rather odd story. :/

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    I haven't read a hobby book for awhile, but right now for summer reading ( ) I'm reading "the curious incident of the dog in the night-time". I'm not sure how I feel about it yet, it's a rather odd story. :/
    I had that as a talking book and I used to listen to it in the car on the way to work. I found the story absolutely gripping, but I was exhausted by the time I got to work some days!

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I haven't started it yet, but I bought Adrift, by Steven Callahan to read on the train when I go on vacation. His story was featured on National Geographic Explorer - an account of 76 days lost at sea in an inflatable raft after his small sloop capsized just 6 days from port.
    I love true adventure stories.
    DUDE, That was a great book. I had to stop reading it every so often to try and figure out what I would do, This guy showed great smarts during his ordeal.

That book is one reason that I make sure all my "emergency" stuff is in order.

-------------

Check into any Mt Everest story if you like adventure and drama.

They are even more interesting in the early days of climbing-now the equipment is a zillion times better that what the had back then!

Quote Originally Posted by elizabethann View Post
    The bookstore is like a drug for me. I can't walk past it without going inside. And once I'm inside I have to buy a book. I have books all over the place waiting to be read.

I love books so much, I'd marry them if they asked me. I especially love the smell of books. MMMMMM...good!

That’s how I am, also. I do go to the library on occasion, but I want to read a book when I choose, not when they tell me I can have it for these 2 weeks. Books are my one luxury - I have a stack of books waiting to be read, and pretty much add to it weekly.

I normally prefer non-fiction, but over the past few months have read some amazing works of fiction.

The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society by Mary Ann Shaffer, Annie Barrows

Synopsis:
    January 1946: writer Juliet Ashton receives a letter from a stranger, a founding member of the Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society. And so begins a remarkable tale of the island of Guernsey during the German occupation, and of a society as extraordinary as its name.

Beach Trip by Cathy Holton

I read her first two books. This third is different, but just as good. Four college roommates, getting together on an island off the Carolina coast 23 years later.

The Help
    by Kathryn Stockett

This is her first book, and it is wonderful. Set in Jackson, Mississippi in the early 1960s – just when the Civil Rights movement was gearing up.

I really had great difficulty putting any of these books down.

Are any of you readers out there fans of Shirley Jackson? Most people just know her from the short story "The Lottery" that they had to read in school, but she has written some fabulous novels and short stories besides that. If you love strangeness with a little chill of supernatural read either, "The Haunting of Hill House", "The Sundial", or "We Have Always Lived in the Castle".

"Raising Demons" and "Life Among the Savages" are two books that are based on her family life with 5 children, many cats and one large dopey dog. They are hilarious and guaranteed a LOL experience. I can't say enough about her writing.

Cathy

When you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. Mark Twain

Yeager-Chuck Yeager's biography is a rocking good read. That man was blessed with luck and timing!

The Climb
    - This was written by A Boukreev as another "view" to the '96 Everst tragedy. Boukreev took a lot of heat for his part in the tragedy-John Krakauer wrote "Into Thin Air" about the same subject.

Both good books.

If you want to read another climbing book that will make you stop and think?

Touching the Void-Yates and Simpson. The PBS documentary was brutal.
    This would be a great Hollywood movie...

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Feynman is my HERO!

He was a character and real smart dude!
    Indeed he was!! Unfortunately, I haven't got the one you mentioned, but I'll ask at the library.

I've just finished reading the first Stieg Larsson book, I believe the title has been translated to "Millenium" I can really recommend it!! Oh, the joy of going to read the next two.

I brought a list of titles the library recently and got a few of them. One is "Dewey, the library cat". Another is "The art of racing in the rain". Now, I can't decide which of them to start on.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I just started the Harry Potter series this month, and am in the middle of the fourth book, now. I love them. The third one (Prisoner of Azkaban) is my favorite so far. I've kept up with the movies, including the seventh and most recent one, but didn't want to read the books until all the films were released. I'm not sure exactly what prompted me to start them now, but I'm glad I did.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    I've just finished reading the first Stieg Larsson book, I believe the title has been translated to "Millenium" I can really recommend it!! Oh, the joy of going to read the next two.
    Randi, I love the Stieg Larsson books. I've read the first two, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and The Girl who Played with Fire but have yet to read the last one, The Girl who Kicked the Hornets Nest. I plan to look and see if it available at a reasonable price as an e-book. (Bought myself an Amazon Kindle as an early Christmas gift )

10. Can anyone tell me how their e-reader device does in rural areas?

as our cheap track phones signal doesnt pick up here in the house so im rather curious as to how a Kindle or whatever would do out here.
    Last edited by Vette; 11-30-2010 at 09:37 PM.

I live out in the sticks where cell phone reception is often dreadful but I have absolutely no problem using my Kindle to download and read ebooks.
    Lilith Cherry
    "
    "Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Mahatma Gandhi

Don't know how it works in the States but here in the UK you can use wireless connection or/and the computer wi-fi. Failing that you can connect the Kindle to the computer & download that way.

I got mine today and am just loving it. Among the works I downloaded were the complete Shakespeare collection and The Illiad, both of which I would never have bought in book form, and best of all were completely free!

"In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson (he also wrote "Devil in the White City") The inner flap refers to his writing as "narrative non-fiction". It's non-fiction, but I think it's written in a way that makes one want to keep reading.

My mom read "The Help" for her book club, and she really liked it -- I asked her to let me read it before she returned it to the library. But my dad took it back, so now I'm on a waiting list for it.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

14. Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    "In the Garden of Beasts" by Erik Larson (he also wrote "Devil in the White City") The inner flap refers to his writing as "narrative non-fiction". It's non-fiction, but I think it's written in a way that makes one want to keep reading.

My mom read "The Help" for her book club, and she really liked it -- I asked her to let me read it before she returned it to the library. But my dad took it back, so now I'm on a waiting list for it.
    I read "In the Garden of Beast" over the weekend. Could NOT put it down. It is on the best seller list as non-fiction. My book club did "The Help" last year - great book.

We are doing "George, Nicholas and Wilhelm" this week. Another really great read.

15. Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    Don't know how it works in the States but here in the UK you can use wireless connection or/and the computer wi-fi. Failing that you can connect the Kindle to the computer & download that way.

I got mine today and am just loving it. Among the works I downloaded were the complete Shakespeare collection and The Illiad, both of which I would never have bought in book form, and best of all were completely free!
    Woot! thank you for the info. i didnt know it could be done by computer also. now im not iffy about getting one in the future if a time presents itself.

yep you cant beat free thats for sure

this what im reading: Wolf Legend - A Werewolf Novel though the PDFs are easier to read but her dA page is more up to date.

its not technically a book but oh well,, thought id post it anywho