Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sick because of annual shots??

Sick because of annual shots??

Yesterday my Zazou and Snoopy went to the vet for their annual shots. They both got a clean bill of health.
    This morning Zazou is acting really weird. She cries when I pick her up, she is in her bed all the time, no eating and no drinking, she is so lethargic...
    I phoned my vet and asked his advize. He said to keep a close eye on her and wait 24 hours. If she is still acting this way, then he wants to see her

None of my cats ever reacted this way on their shots, so I am very worried. Please tell me that this is not abnormal????
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Poor Zazou! Give her a cuddle from me.

Neither Cally or Brody reacted to any of their shots - I hope she improves during the day. If she is no better this afternoon I'd take her back to the vet so he can check her over
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Lut...I always get scared when I hear about reactions like this after shots. If you remember we all thought the same thing about Lilith. It was the shots. But as you know it wasn't.

I hope and pray to God that is all it is.

Has she been tested for felv and fiv?

I don't want to scare you. But with what happened to Lilith it is usually my first thought when seeing this kind of thing.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Poor Zazou. Give her a big hug and kiss from me. My Belle did that before, scared me too but ended up being fine in a day or two. I don't remember what shots she got at that time, but she reacted pretty much the same. I will have little Zazou in my prayers for a quick recovery. ((((hugs))))

Every year I go through this with Vita. She does NOT like going to the vet, she does NOT like the carrier, she does NOT like being in the car, she does NOT approve of whatever shots she has to get . . . the list goes on and on. She gets so nerved up. Then we come home and she is out of sorts, won't eat, mostly sleeps for 2 or 3 days. It's how she reacts to the whole thing. But every time, I worry. My other cats have varying degrees of irritability with Crystal having NO effects what so ever. Nothing ever seems to phase Crystal.

It is 3.30pm now, and 30 minutes ago, Zazou climbed out of her bed, stretched carefully, and walked to the kitchen. I followed her to see where she was heading for.... . It was to her foodbowl!! She ate half of the tuna I put in there, and then returned to the safety of her cosy bed . I think she is on the mend, because she did a short kitty-wash before she departed for "dreamland"
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

We've had reactions are our house. I asked our new vet about reactions to shots. What he does when annual shots are administered. He does give a steriod shot plus sends you home with baby bendryl (spell?). This helps/prevents reactions.
    2 of my gang throws up.
    Also bendryl, helps settle them down from the experience of being at the vets. Allot of times it's the stress of being there etc that brings on reactions.
    Something I didnt know.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Yippee!!!! glad to see you are feline better Zazou!!
    Give £1 for a poundie www.songfordogs.co.uk

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Both Halo and Pepper get sick if they receive more than 1 vaccination during a vet visit. Halo will get a bad fever and Pepper will get very angry, huddle in her bed and growl for a whole day! Our vet told us that there is a medicine they can give them before the vaccination that will minimize the reaction, but that's yet another shot! So, we've decided that they will only receive 1 vaccination a visit. If that means that we have to bring them back a week later for the next shot, that's fine. I would prefer to pay for another office visit than see them ill and hurting.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Our cats no longer get the distemper shot. Several of them had very violent reactions. I talk about this to our vet, and she said OK. Everyone still get rabies. Glad to hear there is improvement...
    Nine is Fine!!

I'm very pleased to hear that Zazou is feeling more herself, that must have been a great relief to you.

I do what Lisa does, one vaccination per visit, even for my adult feral and it's nerve wracking getting him to a vet and coping with him while there. There are some cats who are fine with a bombardment of different vaccines into their immune systems and some who can't cope - even though they are perfectly healthy cats. Simka used to be unwell for a day, even with only one shot, and one of my cats was unable to cope with any vaccinations after the age of 7.

*PHEW* I am so happy to hear that Zazou is feeling better.

Give that beautiful girl a gentle hug and kiss for me, please.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Quote Originally Posted by kuhio98
    Both Halo and Pepper get sick if they receive more than 1 vaccination during a vet visit. Halo will get a bad fever and Pepper will get very angry, huddle in her bed and growl for a whole day!

The same thing happens with my Sophie. She gets a fever and extremely lethargic. The first time it happened, I really thought she was dying. I ran her to the animal ER here, and they said it was just the vaccinations.

Now when she gets them, she only gets one of them per visit. She still gets lethargic, but no where near as sick as she did the first time.

Thankfully, she's the only one who reacted that badly to the vaccinations.

I'm so glad that Zazou is feeling much better. She is acting more like herself. What a fighter!!!

Once when Angel went to the vet and got shots, she wasn't herself either. Like she would eat, drink and all that kitty stuff, but she would walk around like she got drunk! When she was going to use her litter box (which was in the basement) she tripped down the stairs because she couldn't walk right. The poor girl Thank goodness Angel got better later that day!
    Thank you so much for my siggy, kittycats_delight!

I'm not a big fan of shots. Last time we got shots for our dog, she got a severe reaction. I don't believe in shots anymore and don't give them. Going on 10 yrs now and never had a sick dog. Seems they were always sick with those shots.