Thread: Ringworm

Ringworm

I wish I could have brought the great news of having a new kitten with another thread.

We have a new kitten - say hello to Milo - we have him for a little over a month and we haven't introduced him to Pichu and Juni yet. The poor kitten has ringworm (I've never seen it before in my life). We are using the medication that was prescribed - Nitrofungin. Poor Milo is all yellow from it. We realised he had it about three weeks ago, it spread quickly and we've been treating him for more than two weeks now. I don't see any effect and I don't know if it's because I'm hoping for better results or because it isn't helping much.

Does anyone know how long it takes to clear it? I would appreciate any thoughts on this.

Hi Milo!

I'm so sorry to hear that your new kitten has ringworm. Poor little thing.

A few people here have dealt with ringworm recently, Lizzie certainly comes to mind. Sirrahbed and Lut too, I think, but I know that others have dealt with it in the past. My impression is that it can take a while to go.

You were telling me before about a cat ready to have kittens. Is that where your new furry addition came from?

Ringworm can take 4 or more weeks to heal up because it has to heal from the inside out in the new skin that grows in it's place. Be patient, continue treatments, and keep up with any vet rechecks they recommend. Someday this whole ringworm thing will be just a bad memory.

Good luck

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

Unfortunately, we haven't seen Dimka's kittens, but I can tell she still nurses them, she visits almost everyday. We got this one because we found him in the middle of the street, he's all orange, very cute and very playfull.

We're hoping he's going to get better soon, it's such a pitty that he has to suffer.

We have been dealing with ringworm for the last 6 weeks

We got a new kitty back in June, he was full of earmites, so we quarentined him from Lucky & Yoshi. As the mites were clearing up I began to break out with wierd skin patches, so off to the doctors I go......the only thing they could think of was ringworm, because of the new kitty.

Taz goes back to the vet, the first time they checked him for RW he was negative. When we went back the second time, again the UV light proved negative, so she did a test on his fur, negative. She did another test, this one took 3 days, sure enough...... Now his quarentine was another 6 weeks!

We cleaned the house with bleach water, cleaned everything in sight. Vaccummed, mopped, used bleach with laundry - I swear that the house was so disenfectied that no living being could catch anything in the house!

Fast foward to last Thursday.....We were watching TV and talking, seems Taz was doing good, nothing has happened for 3 weeks, we planned to wait one more week then let him out. As I was sitting there petting Lucky, I felt something on his hind leg..........UGH - Ringworm!!!!! oh crap.

Took him to the vet the next day, sure enough. So we are now treating Lucky and Taz for ringworm, and Taz has been out of quarentine for a few days now. Boy, is he ever happy!!

But, RW is airborne , if you look up my name, and all my recent threads, you will find the RW one. Several links on there that will help you better understand what is going on.

Wash your hands!! Be careful, and read up on it. Make sure the kitties are away from the one with RW - although like I said it is airborne, so watch out.

If you need any more help, PM me, I will be more than happy to share with you what I have learned.

Good luck!
    Bunny & Kitties:

Taz - F (7); Majerle - M (4) & Loki - M (8 months)
    (pronounced: Marley).

I'm so sorry to hear this. Bunny's thread is full of great information so I hope it'll help. I gave all of my cats the dog program pills just as a precaution and no one other than Starr ever became infected. It takes a while to clear it up so just try to hang in there. Good luck.

Congrats and your new kitten!!! He sure sounds adorable.

Milo seems to be ok now, for probably about two weeks all his fur is all better, no more bald spots, and I really do hope he's not going to show any more signs - we have been treating him since July. Unfortunately, we haven't brought Juni and Pichu yet, I was in London a week ago, then we were catsitting for my fiance's colleague (yep, there's a good way to tell the news!! ) I am engaged to be married. I will do a separate thread on that So, all in once, I have been busy lately.

We did give Milo the ringworm vaccine (in two shots), as I read on PT some people did. I don't know if it was the anti-fungal liquid that helped or the vaccine, probably both, I am glad he's all better. He still has yellow spots and every guest we have, asks: why did you paint him yellow - wasn't he orange enough

Now, we'll have to figure out what requirements there are for bringing cats into Germany, 'cause that's where we go in the summer - 90km from Barbara Hooray!