Thread: My dog is trying to dig to China!

My dog is trying to dig to China!

So, I am very into dog psychology and that has worked really well on my dog. She is really submissive to me and my kids, doesn't take food of the counter anymore or out of my kids hands, etc. However, when she is outside while the kids are playing, all she does is dig holes! I wouldn't mind so much, but with the kids, I want them to be able to run around the backyard without fear that they may twist an ankle. I ma having a hard time correcting her behavior because she just runs from me out there and I can't put her on a leash because she knocks the kids down. I would hate to pen her up in her own area because she loves to play with the kids. Any suggestions?

Dog training sounds like the answer

Sounds like she could use a little training. It might build some confidence in her. Some dogs just like to dig. Can you set aside one part of the yard for just digging? Toys? Is she bored? Maybe a little Prozac?

I am sure lots of folks will chime in to help you out.

I have a dog, but she doesn't dig, she rolls in things instead!

What breed is she and how old is she?

Some breeds do tend to dig, dig, DIG!

Taking her to some obedience classes should help, as well as giving her daily exercise. I walk my dogs 2 miles / 45 minutes daily.

She is a boxer/pitbull mix. We think she is about 8-9 years old. We have had her for 6 years. I have to admit that I don't take her for walks when the weather is cold I know, I'm a bad dog owner. But, she does get plenty of exercise playing with the kids. I know walks are best but, she doesn't dig if the kids are not out there playing with her. I guess they get her excited? Does that make sense? A dog only digging because of her excitement level?

Some dogs are born diggers. A few dog owners that I know swear that if you watch the dog closely everytime she's/he's outside and spot her/him digging you can take some of her/his poop and put it in the hole she just dug then fill it up again. Sometimes you will have to resort in picking up the poop and saving it but every time their dog dug a hole they proceeded in the same manner until in about two weeks the dog stopped digging, they won't ever dig up where they can smell their own doggie do and give up when they keep finding that smell wherever they try to dig. I've never tried it, my dogs didn't dig but they swear it works.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Maybe she is bored? Dogs usually dig when bored and not exercised properly.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

My boxer would always dig in the backyard before we moved into apartments. I noticed the only time he didn't dig is when he got tons of exercise. I know it is a pain to go out and walk the dogs when its cold, but you chose a high energy breed that needs tons of daily exercise. Romping around in the backyard, unfortunately, just isn't enough for a Boxer/pittie. Try to up the exercise and see if it does some good.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I can relate to that with my golden retriever as he likes to dig as well, especially when trying to get at balls.

The way you describe the digging behaviour suggests that it may be a displacement activity for the dog. If she is only digging when she gets excited playing with the kids then she is maybe directing her energy away from another behaviour that you have discouraged, such as mouthing/biting or jumping on the kids, and has taught herself to use the digging as a release for the excitement and energy of the play. If this is the reason for the digging then you have done a great job in training your dog to play with the kids! She is also pretty smart to have redirected her behaviour. The trick now is to get her to redirect yet again! This means you have to be vigilant and willing to stick to it for a while and you will have better results if you train dog and kids together.
    Figure out what the dog's most favourite toy is - a ball or throw toy would be the most ideal. Whenever the kids and dog are playing together you must be observing and as soon as the dog makes a move toward digging - I am sure you can tell what she is going to do before she actually gets going with the paws - make happy noises and wave the toy around. As soon as the dog looks at you/the toy reward her by throwing it and letting her have it, have a quick play, praise, take toy away and allow the dog to calm down a little before resuming play with the kids. This has to be totally consistent and the toy is best reserved for only this training. Be careful that you can catch the dog BEFORE the digging starts or you may well end up with the dog digging just to get the toy! Once you are really good at this start to time how long the dog can play with the kids without digging and reward with the toy for three minutes, three and half, four minutes, etc.
    Hope this helps and it should be really good fun to get everyone watching the dog's behaviour.
    Also, sorry, I have to say, walking the dog is not an option - you choose a dog, you choose to walk no matter what the weather!!!