Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Clomicalm?

Reporting in again, largely positive results! I increased my male's to twice aday, and that seems to be the trick. The house seems nearly normal once again. Prozac and pill pockets saved our sanity.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Hi and welcome to Pet Talk! Yes, I have 4 of my cats on Clomicalm and have for years w/no side effects whatsoever. I originally started them on it for pee wars; I had two males who sprayed and then two others followed suit. I was just about to lose my mind when my vet recommended Clomicalm. They each get 5 mg. at bedtime; it doesn't drug them at all, just keeps them calm and best of all, no pee issues. It was originally made for dogs w/separation anxiety but vets are now recommending it for cats as well.

I wouldn't be w/o it. I tried several other meds before Clomicalm. One of them worked for a little while but Clomicalm has never stopped working. My vet said that it might take up to 6-12 weeks before it started working but that hasn't been the case here. It started working almost immediately. I think that you'll be happy w/it; just give it some time just in case it does take a while b/c all cats are different.

Good luck and please keep us posted. It's tough to go somewhere knowing that our furkids are stressing and missing us but Clomicalm solved the problem for me.
    Hello Medusa

I was researching for quite a while and at last I found your posts about clomicalm and your cats. We have trouble with our eldest cat who have started spraying everywhere after our two kittens got a bit older. He was fine with our first cat, but all things changed after she had kittens The reason why Im contacting you is a bit unusual as I am from UK and Clomicalm is for whatever reason not legal for cats and as the strongest medication you are advised to have Feliway or Zylkene. Well none of these worked for our cat and at the moment we are just soo desperate. We love our cats very much and dont want to give anyone away. It is doo frustrating as we have to investigate where did he spray every morning and I think we are getting more stress than him. Every morning we just want to strangle him, but of course we have to be nice and dont punish him as it would cause even more stress. I dont even know if I want to cry or scream. I really want to have a normal life again. It is costing us just more and more money ( we had to get rid of our sofa, my monitor, bean bags, some plug sockets as all those and other things he pissed on ). Well my question is: Is there an any change you could buy and send me that medication to UK for my cat? I can pay via paypal for example. I am just soo desperate that dont know what to do...

Lucie

Yeah, well, not working. I have had pee nearly every single day, sometimes two times a day. This am, I woke up to pee on the bed, and pee on a pillow that had fallen to the floor at 6 am, and peed on by 7 am. UGH. Molly was laying in her own pee on the kitchen floor yesterday. Pee on pajamas in the bathroom that Saturday morning. And, on and on. 'Fraid I am again at my wit's end.

I had tapered off their meds, beginning Friday morning, but it seems impossible that this could happen so quickly. Needless to say, Molly got 'full strength' this am. I will begin locking her in the bedroom overnight, too.

Hi All,

New to this forum, but I know how you all feel.
    I have 3 house cats (2 bengals- M&F and a russian blue X -M) - all gorgeous cats and fantastic temperament. Never aggressive towards eachother or anyone else.

We had a bad experience with a house sitter (didnt empty the litter trays for 3 weeks while were overseas). Came back to 3 very stressed cats and a house that stunk! Lucky we have mostly tiled floors, otherwise carpets would have been wrecked!

We've spent a fortune on cleaning products ... floors, walls, surfaces, blinds, soft materials on the floor (towels, mats etc), computers, TVs, speakers ... nothing has been safe

The 2 bengals are still very stressed and spray alot round the house. Partly linked to the stress, and also neighbouring cats keep visiting, which isnt helping.
    We tried feliway before with minimal success, but gnna try it again anyway (cant hurt - right)?

Looking at going on Clomicalm for somewhere between 1 and 3 months - the problem is that our vet has quoted $74 AUD for 30 tablets .... for 2 cats for 3 months is almost $450AUD! Ouch!

Any advice gratefully received! Trace

I am back. I did a thorough cleaning of the upstairs litterboxes, and all areas of pee happenings. I also put down tin foil in an area that seems to be a favorite spot, with a bowl of food on the side of the tin foil. Then, I again tampered with the medication doses. I now have both of them on 1/4 tab one time a day (perhaps this is half the amount normally prescribed) with plans to take Sonic off of it completely in a few days.

Call me crazy, but, I have been pee free for a few days now. I do notice that Molly 'leaks' a little. I have pee pads on the bed, where she tends to hang out, and that has helped. I have still confined her to Jonah's room at night, and I am not sure that will remain constant, or not.

I am going to stay hyper viligant on the cleaning of the boxes, keep the tin foil where it is, and hope to report back in 30 days that my house has returned to normal. Sigh...can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em.

Trace- since you spell neighboring 'wrong', (just teasing!), I am guessing you are not an american. That, and you put the money denomination in something other than USD. Nothing gets by me. I don't know if you can order/get shipped OdorXit to Australia? If you can, I would buy some and clean according to instructions.

I also had a friend pass me this link: www.indoorpet.osu.edu. I encourage you to read up on it, it has some great tidbits!!

Hi Trace

I live in Australia also and have recently placed one of my cats on clomicalm. My vets charging $60 for a full bottle which is 60 days supply. Further with your cleaning issue, I can sympathize here also- try trigene. You will probably have to ask your vet to sell you this- it's $50 a liter but it's extremely strong Abd you dilute it. It's actually the stuff the vets use to rid the smells and disinfect.

Hope that helps

Quote Originally Posted by tracemul7 View Post
    Hi All,

New to this forum, but I know how you all feel.
    I have 3 house cats (2 bengals- M&F and a russian blue X -M) - all gorgeous cats and fantastic temperament. Never aggressive towards eachother or anyone else.

We had a bad experience with a house sitter (didnt empty the litter trays for 3 weeks while were overseas). Came back to 3 very stressed cats and a house that stunk! Lucky we have mostly tiled floors, otherwise carpets would have been wrecked!

We've spent a fortune on cleaning products ... floors, walls, surfaces, blinds, soft materials on the floor (towels, mats etc), computers, TVs, speakers ... nothing has been safe

The 2 bengals are still very stressed and spray alot round the house. Partly linked to the stress, and also neighbouring cats keep visiting, which isnt helping.
    We tried feliway before with minimal success, but gnna try it again anyway (cant hurt - right)?

Looking at going on Clomicalm for somewhere between 1 and 3 months - the problem is that our vet has quoted $74 AUD for 30 tablets .... for 2 cats for 3 months is almost $450AUD! Ouch!

Any advice gratefully received! Trace

Just in case anyone out there is reading, and struggling with this same issue, I want to update again.

First, the tin foil and more food, strategically placed, seemed to make a difference. After speaking to a pet psychic (thanks, Karen!) AND watching another marathon of Jackson Galaxy, My Cat From Hell (thanks, Jackson!), I came to realize I might have been medicating the wrong cat, and interpreting his pee issues incorrectly. Sonic is completely off the prozac, and a wonderful, loving, non wide-eyed, boy again.

I put Ari on the prozac, and since then- it has been about 2 plus weeks, have found just a few pee spots. One I know was from Minnie, on my bed, completely unrelated to this 'problem' pee issue I have had since August, last. I totally get Minnie's issue, it is so infrequent, and not worthy of explanation here.

It seemed that Molly was trying to assert her position ahead of Arizona, as the pee areas were often where Arizona would eat. I think the struggle was between these two girls, and Sonic was just reacting to the stress of it all. At least that is what I think right now. LOL.

Excluding Minnie's bed pee (which she has done 3 or 4 times in the 10 years I have had her living under my bed), I have found two or maybe three pees in nearly 3 weeks. That is such a improvement! And, as time goes on, I hope it just goes away completely.

Prozac- my new best friend.