Thread: I watched my first ear cropping

I watched my first ear cropping

I helped the vet crop a client's Doberman pup's ears this morning. I know not everyone agrees with this topic so I decided to put it here. I have had a dog's ears cropped before. As most of you know it is a dream of mine to show and breed Great Danes someday down the line. I've always thought that I was going to crop all my show dogs ears and keep all the pet Danes natural. After watching the ear cropping this morning I've decided that if at all possible I might just be very picky about what dogs I crop and keep them mostly natural.

I've found that the surgery is actually totally unnecessary for pet quality dogs. I thought long and hard about this when I was picking up and throwing away the floppy little ears of the puppy after surgery. I've learned so much working at the vet clinic. Seeing how some of these procedures are done makes me think twice about somethings.
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

My daughter is volunteering with a vet also, I just asked her and she said that vet will not do ear croppings. She did see a tail cropped and said it was horrible.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by lute
    Seeing how some of these procedures are done makes me think twice about somethings.
    And that is the BEST news I've read today; being educated helps us rethink things; maybe we DON'T change our decision, but the basis for the decision is more sound.

Quote Originally Posted by lute
    I thought long and hard about this when I was picking up and throwing away the floppy little ears of the puppy after surgery.

I'm 100% against both, I wish everyone that is a fan of cropping & docking could see the procedure.
    ~Angie, Sierra & Buddy
    **Don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die!**

I suffer from multiple Shepherd syndrome

Well, I don't think I could watch any surgery so I'll never have that
    experience. I would think it would be as painful to watch the cropping
    as it would de-clawing a cat.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I quit my first vet job after "holding" a 3 day old litter of rottie pups mouth closed during a tail dock. This vet was old school... And so very inhumane. One after one, and I was told to "stop whining and getting upset, it wont remember this tomorrow"

I am 100% against ear crops, tail docking, and declawing. Have been involved in all, hated it and now I wont work for a vet that proforms them...

One exception, is large dogs who bust their tails open daily, then I will budge, but that is actually being kind to the dog, not cruel!

Thank you so much Michelle!

Please be responsible, spay and neuter your pets!

I've been BOO'd!!! Thanks Lori!

I am glad you are moving more toward no ear-cropping, I wish the AKC would change their standards. I LOVE natural ears on a Great Dane, they are soft and floppy and just add to their overall sweetness of appearance.

Quote Originally Posted by pitc9

I'm 100% against both, I wish everyone that is a fan of cropping & docking could see the procedure.
    Me too! To me, it takes away the beauty of a dog, not enhance it. And it wouldn't matter if it did enhance it. They're living beings not pieces of property! I wish both practices would be made illegal in the U.S.

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

Our vets will no longer dock tails or crop ears . I don't know if the vets in other cities would or if they've all adopted the same policies. I know that people in this area will travel to T.O if they want it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Karen
    I am glad you are moving more toward no ear-cropping, I wish the AKC would change their standards. I LOVE natural ears on a Great Dane, they are soft and floppy and just add to their overall sweetness of appearance.

The AKC is a money making organization. Like any business, they will bend when it affects their bottom line. They are no more for the humane and ethical treatment of animals than any other big business out there.