Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sky Will Be Going To The Vet On Fri. Unless He Gets Worse

Sky Will Be Going To The Vet On Fri. Unless He Gets Worse

I was hoping to have healthy cats for the remaining year but it's not to be. Sky has something wrong with him but I don't think it's a typical URI. He seems to get this every year and it's usually during the spring or summer. Sometimes it goes away on it's own and sometimes it doesn't. This time it's not going away.

It started a little over a week ago and it's gotten worse. He's been having sneezing attacks and has been very congested. It's also starting to affect his eyes too and he's been getting some goopy stuff coming out of them. I guess I should've taken him to the vet sooner but I thought it would go away on it's own and not get any worse. I feel like such a bad cat meowmie.

He's eating and drinking well but I've also noticed that he's drinking more than usual. Maybe he feels dehydrated. He's also been playing some but he'll also hide and want to be left alone. He's been friskier today but every time I think he's improving he'll have a major sneezing attack. I hate seeing him like this.

I called my vet office this morning but they're all booked up until Friday. Yes, I could bring him in without an appointment but it would cost a lot more and I still will if he gets a lot worse. My regular vet is off until Jan.7th and if she was working I know that she wouldn've been able to squeeze me in without having me pay more.

He's been tested for FELV/FIV several years ago at my other vets office because he felt that he may have a compromised immune system. His results came out fine. I stopped having my vet give him FVRCP shots because they would always make him sick. He's totally indoor only too and hasn't been any where. None of my other cats are sick.

I'm taking care of another cat and he's not sick either. I also make sure to wash my hands thoroughly after I pet him and then again when I get home before I touch any of my cats just to be on the safe side.

Sky was found as a stray before he was taken to the Humane Society so who knows what his life was like in the past. I still feel that his problem is either a bacterial infection or some kind of an allergy. I sure hope that he doesn't have polyps in his nose. This scares me because if so they could be cancerous. Please keep Sky in your thoughts and prayers. I'll let you know what happens after Fridays vet visit. Thanks in advance.

Hugs and prayers for poor Sky!

Ask the vet if there is a small dose of antihistamine you can give him meanwhile. And my guess is that since he is sneezy and there is goop, that he is a bit drier than usual, so his drinking more water is a good thing.

If your bathroom is small, you could close the door and run the shower hot - 'steaming' might help him, or a vaporizer with Vicks where he usually sleeps.

Will be keeping my fingers crossed for Friday.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thanks Candace. I forgot to add that I already tried putting him in my bathroom today while I was taking a shower. He became very stressed out and just wanted out of there. I think it may have helped him a little bit but it didn't last very long.
    I've also given him Chlortimatron sp? allergy tablets in the past and they didn't do much good. He was also put on another type of allergy tablet in the past and it seemed to help a little bit. I hate to have to medicate him too. Storm and Starr are already on herbal meds and Starr's also still on pred.

Maybe there's an herbal remedy out there for allergies. I'd rather try this than something else. I'll have to ask my holistic vet about Sky's problem when I see her on Jan.3rd.

~~~ healing ~~~ vibes to your handsome boy. I hope it's something simple that clears quickly.
    I'm sometimes asked "Why do you spend so much of your time and money talking about kindness to animals when there is so much cruelty to men?" I answer: "I am working at the roots." -George T. Angell, reformer (1823-1909)

Thank you, Popcornbird for creating this tribute to Summer starring Livvy and Cassy

Livvy: 11 April 99 - 5 July 09
    Cassy: 11 July 99 - 8 April 11

If you would like to visit my BeautiConsultant page --
    http://www.beautipage.com/serene_angel_hm_spa/

Definitely sending prayers for Skye to get well....
    Nine is Fine!!

Best wishes for Sky to feel better.

Hi Sky, take a wee rest, and let the white coats help you feel better quickly tomorrow! Prayers for Sky from RI.

Vita gets URIs almost constantly. We are lucky to go 6 weeks between bouts. No FIV /FeLV, just a herpes virus that likes residing in her body.

Until you can get Sky in to the vet, squirt some saline nasal spray in his nose. It's inexpensive and you can get it at any pharmacy or even a discount store. When my Pidge got that sneezing jag several months ago, she sneezed so hard and often that she got a nose bleed. After a vet visit, my dr. told me about saline nasal spray and it really helped. It will soothe the nasal passages and also decrease the amount of sneezing. Good luck and I hope you come home w/a good report.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Oh No Poor wittle Sky.. So Sorry To Hear Of You Being Sick.. Tracey by no means are you a bad kitty meowmom.. I have seen the sniffles & ect going around here with my babies ever since Taccoa got so sick.. However after 4 bottles of antibodies given to each & all = I am happy to say all is good/well now.. Well Sky you go to the Vet & get your meds && get better real soon ok.. Keep us posted.. Bigg Whisker Kissess & Huggss..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Oh poor little Sky. I do hope it's something simple that will clear soon, but perhaps it's a good idea to try what Medusa suggested, that sounds like it might help until he can see a vet.

Lots of positive thoughts for Sky - and for a good cat mom! You are, you know!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Sky, I hope that you feel better soon! Sending good thoughts your way
    Smokedog's mommy
    I've been frosted!!

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Sending prayers and warm wishes for you and Sky.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Thanks everyone. Sky is actually doing better today. He's still stuffy and I can hear him breathing because he makes squeeky noises but I haven't heard him sneezing at all today. He'd be a very hard cat to try to put drops in his nose. I guess I'd have to put him in the restraint bag that I have with just his head sticking out. Watch him be almost over this by tomorrow and then the vet will think that I'm crazy for bringing him in. Isn't that the way it always goes?

Last night Sunny gave me a scare because he was trying to throw something up and I just thought it was hairball so I gave him some hairball medicine. Later on I saw that one of the cats threw up in the kitchen and on a scratching post. It looked like it was a bunch of wet food. It must have been Sunny because he refused to eat anything last night and he just wanted to go hide and curl up and go to bed. I don't give Sunny very much wet food because he eats it too fast and then he'll throw it back up so I don't know how he got all of this into his system.

I didn't get much sleep last night becasue I was now also worried about Sunny. He started bugging me for food and attention at about 6:30am and I was so happy to have my Sunny back. I guess his tummy was just bothering him last night because he's now able to eat and is back to normal again.

I'll keep you updated about Sky. Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz
    He'd be a very hard cat to try to put drops in his nose.
    Actually, the saline solution comes in a squeeze bottle. If you can get it close enough to his nose, just give it a squirt and some of it will get in there.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Thinking of Sky this morning, and hoping the white coats will help him feel better quickly.