Thread: Advice Needed! Scab Keeps Forming on Kittens Anus - Manx Mix

Advice Needed! Scab Keeps Forming on Kittens Anus - Manx Mix

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7061.JPG 
Views:	2909 
Size:	1.50 MB 
ID:	54457Click image for larger version. 

Name:	100_7162.JPG 
Views:	4123 
Size:	1.93 MB 
ID:	54458

I rescued Baby Cakes from Millheim PA on Friday July 13. She was seen by a vet on July 16 and had the following done:

Combo test was negative
    Dewormer def. had a lot of worms (did not have a fecal to bring)
    Fluids
    Flea medicine to put on her in a couple of days

On July 17 I took the vets a fecal sample from Baby Cakes and they said she had coccidia. They treated her with Ponazuril and we gave her the first dose on July 17 and her second dose. At that point we did have her separated from the rest of our crew too because we didn't want them to get coccidia. Once she was feeling better she was able to come out and play and she was just so happy to play with Loki. We ended up putting her in our bathroom for a couple days about a week or so ago because she had a piece of litter stuck to her butt and once we got it off her butt, her butt seemed irritated. Once she seemed to heal up we let her go back out with our young crew. We kept a close eye on her butt to make sure she wasn't getting anymore cat litter stuck to her anus. When we put her back in the bathroom we used yesterday's newspaper so that way nothing would stick to her bum.

Last week we had her fecal tested on August 10 and she was negative for coccidia but has Campylobacter now and is on Zithormax for the next 5 days and then every other day for 5 days.

Last night when I was going to give Baby Cakes her Zithormax I checked her butt again and another scab is on her butt. I had my husband look at it and he said he wondered if it was poop and I said I doubt it because it looked just like another scab.

We put her in our bathroom again so she coudl use Yesterday's Newspaper litter and she isn't very happy about it. During the evening we checked her butt and it seemed like the scab was going to come off and her pink flesh was exposed again. We didn't touch it and by this morning the scab had fallen off and her poor pink butt looked sore again.

My husband told me around 2 p.m. today that there is another scab forming on her butt.

Is there anything we can do to help her?

The one country vet we took her too after we went to the first vet said to put some AD onit. on it and we did that for a couple of days and that seemed to help her but she still continued to have this scab problem.

We are concerned that she may have a very small prolapse or something else. I have posted up a chip in page so I can get her to another vet and see what's going on. If you want further details about why I posted up a chip in page, please message me.

Thanks!

Does it seem inflamed or infected? Does it bother her?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Does it seem inflamed or infected? Does it bother her?

Hi Karen-

When the scab comes off there is a little blood and then it scabs over again. It doesn't seem to bother her unless we touch the scab then that does. Otherwise she will play, eat, and she can poop I just checked her box again to make sure she is going and it's big poop too for a little girl.

Melissa

Sounds like the poops may be irritating her tushie. I'd keep putting the AD on it. Ask the vet if there is something you can give her to soften her poops.

I'm stumped, Melissa. Let us know how you make out.

When I adopted Little Miss Crabby @$$, she had Ghiardia and then Coccydia. The vet told us that she needed to be isolated from the other cats till the third test came back negative.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Her poop was soft on Friday when I dropped off the fecal sample and it was soft on Saturday too. The vet gave me the zithoromax to give to her and that seems to have firmed up her poop a little bit. The thing with the vet is they don't like me calling and asking questions, usually they make me bring her in.

I'm guessing it keeps scabbing b/c their is blood underneath but I don't understand how you stop that from it keeps happening.

Our vet never told us to keep her away from the other ones. We knew we should keep her away till her had her combo tested and we did keep her separate while she had the medicine for coccidia.

Thanks,
    Melissa

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    Sounds like the poops may be irritating her tushie. I'd keep putting the AD on it. Ask the vet if there is

something you can give her to soften her poops.

I'm stumped, Melissa. Let us know how you make out.

When I adopted Little Miss Crabby @$$, she had Ghiardia and then Coccydia. The vet told us that she needed to be isolated from the other cats till the third test came back negative.

Quote Originally Posted by Anikaca77 View Post
    The thing with the vet is they don't like me calling and asking questions, usually they make me bring her in.
    Well speaking from the other side, we often have owners who call and want diagnoses over the phone, and we just can't morally do that without seeing the patient in-person. Even offering advice like "apply some triple antibiotic ointment to the area" is considered giving medical treatment. BUT if you're calling to ask further about an issue the doc has already seen the pet for, I don't know why your vet clinic has issues with you calling and asking about stuff like that.

So... from that standpoint, it's hard for me to offer you advice without physically seeing the pet or at least seeing a photo of the affected area. Granted, I'm not a vet either. But it could range from anal prolapse (not too uncommon in pets that have had loose stool or a lot of straining), to anal irritation, to infected/abscessed anal glands. Putting ointment on it may help, but it may also draw unwanted attention to the area, so keep that in mind.

In either case, I wish you luck as it's just hard to say what it could be over the internet, and I know people hate hearing that

EDIT: You did mention that her stool seemed large for her size. That could also be a contributing factor; if her stool has TOO much bulk to it, it can cause issues as well. Maybe talk with your vet about a lower bulk diet IF this is a contributing problem?

facebook

After some searching, I finally found a good page with a diagram. Where is the scab forming? It cannot be on the anus itself (or she couldn't be pooping at all )... See this:
    http://www.moosecoonsmc.com/analexp.html

to see if it is maybe her anal glands instead.
    I've Been Frosted

Karen,

Now that makes sense!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!