Thread: Update on post office problem. Getting frustrated. Any advice?

Update on post office problem. Getting frustrated. Any advice?

Here's a little background information. My parents sold our home about 13 years ago. We rented a house for a year before moving in to our new one. During that time period, we used a post office box. Once we moved in to our new permanent home, most of our mail would then come to our house. I decided to keep the post office box. My mom, my sister and I had keys to it. My sister got married 8 years ago and now my mom has the key she had.

One of the postal workers called my dad on Tuesday saying that someone came into the post office Monday afternoon with a key to our box saying that the box renewal was due and since the fees had gone up, he wanted to close the box and have the mail forwarded. Something didn't seem right to the postal worker, so he called to verify. My dad doesn't use the box and had no idea what was going on. He called me and explained what the worker had told him. I went to the post office that afternoon. We live in a small town, and the worker said something just didn't seem right to him. The key that was turned in, fits our box. In fact, the worker just gave me the key, so now we have 4 of them. As far as I know, he didn't make any notations about that either. I know that if you lose a post office box key and try to close the box, they can charge you quite a bit to change the lock.

I don't get any important mail at the box, but I use it for mostly personal correspondence. And for an address to use when filling out forms online. But the more I think about this whole thing, the angrier I get. There was someone that had access to my mail. Mail that I was paying to keep safe. How could this have happened? The key that was turned in, is very shiny. It has all the USPS stampage on it with the same numerical code on it that I have. Every month or two, I would get a generic letter in the box addressed to a man. I never opened them, but would bring them into the post office and tell them it wasn't my mail. It wouldn't happen often, and it sort of looked like junk mail envelopes. I usually only check the mail there once or twice a week. Sometimes it would be a couple of weeks. The box would usually be stuffed full of stuff. I don't understand why this other person would never have said anything about receiving so much mail addressed to me.

For him to want to have mail forwarded, the post office has to have a name and address. What recourse do I have? What do I do? I am starting to feel very violated. I don't want to get anyone in trouble, especially since everyone knows everyone here in town. And it was an alert postal worker that discovered this. I just don't know what to do. Am I overreacting? Am I underreacting? If someone came and looked at mail in the mailbox at the end of the driveway, that would be a federal offense. What can I do about someone else having access to my post office box?
    Last edited by Moesha; 12-07-2009 at 03:45 PM.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

I would call the postmaster of your Post Office, and discuss the matter with him or her. If that person does not give you a satisfactory answer, go to the supervisor. It is an odd situation, I have never heard of that happening.
    I've Been Frosted

Call as Karen said, but I would just find out a time and go in to talk with the person in charge - Postmaster of the PO. If possible, take ALL the keys in with you!

Don't just leave this, do follow up with them.

Do you think that I could do it myself? I'm the one that has paid for the box for the last several years, but technically it is still in my father's name. My mom just got back from Florida, so I may be able to have her go in to the post office and talk with them now since she wasn't here for the original episode and she has 2 of the keys. I'm so not a confrontational person, but this seems to be an issue that needs to be addressed.

You should go in WITH your mom, if that's possible. It doesn't need to be a confrontation, don't think of it as that. It's just a situation you need explained, and addressed.
    I've Been Frosted

While there I would ask that the lock be changed and everyone get new keys. Someone at the post office made a MISTAKE and obviously rented your box to someone else too! (They will never admit to it though). This is so creepy!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Now that is a very good idea! I would definitely feel much better about things if I had a new lock. What I cannot understand is why this other person never mentioned all our mail in the box. If he ever checked the box, he had to have seen it. If he left it there, he had to have known it was gone. Something just doesn't make sense. I don't think I have the whole story and probably never will. But I don't think it would be unreasonable to ask for a new lock. I'll have to get the 2 keys my mom has and return the two that I have as well.

This whole thing does sound wierd, I hope you'll get it sorted out. Perhaps you should ask to get a completely different box.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

The whole thing is very suspicious. My sister had her identity stolen several years ago by someone who broke into her mailbox. She ended up $900 in the hole as a result. You should take it very seriously. You'd be surprised at what can be stolen and used. Even if it seems like junk mail, it's YOUR mail. Follow up asap and get an answer. Messing with the mail, no matter what is a crime. Don't be a victim.
    Claudia

I like getting a new box even better than the idea I had!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Considering the situation, don't worry or think twice about getting someone in trouble. There are times when it's deserved and this sounds like one of those times. I would suggest that you go with who signed for the box and be sure to bring identification even if they do know you over there. I hope this works out in your favor!
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

My mom was able to go to the post office yesterday afternoon. She talked with the clerk who originally called about the problem. He said that he had talked to the postmaster and that the postmaster wanted to know what had happened. My mom told him that she would also like to speak to the postmaster. He had already left for the day though. The clerk told her to come back this morning. He is there at 8 but is pretty busy until around 9. She'll go back in then. I won't be able to go with her because I have to work this morning. I'll send the two keys I have with her, and she'll have the the two keys she has also. I'll let you know more when I know.

My mom went back on Wednesday to talk with the Postmaster and waited and waited. She finally had to leave before talking with him. She had checked the mail then. There was nothing. It hadn't been checked again until today. I asked her for one of the keys. There was nothing there. I called her and told her. She then went up there herself. She was able to talk with the postmaster. He said that there had been no advertisements all week. EXCUSE ME? I've gotten tons of advertisements at my house. This is right before Christmas. Yes, there are advertisements. He told her that he would change the locks on the box for us and issue new keys without charge. He doesn't know how there was an extra key, but he guaranteed her it didn't come from them. Doesn't anyone care how it happened? How can he say it didn't come from them? Where else would it have come from? The keys say USPS DO NOT DUPLICATE right on them with the unique code for the mailbox. Why isn't there some sort of investigation about this?

Does anyone else know what kind of recourse we have or who else we could/should talk to next?

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    My mom went back on Wednesday to talk with the Postmaster and waited and waited. She finally had to leave before talking with him. She had checked the mail then. There was nothing. It hadn't been checked again until today. I asked her for one of the keys. There was nothing there. I called her and told her. She then went up there herself. She was able to talk with the postmaster. He said that there had been no advertisements all week. EXCUSE ME? I've gotten tons of advertisements at my house. This is right before Christmas. Yes, there are advertisements. He told her that he would change the locks on the box for us and issue new keys without charge. He doesn't know how there was an extra key, but he guaranteed her it didn't come from them. Doesn't anyone care how it happened? How can he say it didn't come from them? Where else would it have come from? The keys say USPS DO NOT DUPLICATE right on them with the unique code for the mailbox. Why isn't there some sort of investigation about this?

Does anyone else know what kind of recourse we have or who else we could/should talk to next?
    Let me bring this to Lady's Human's attention - he works for the USPS.
    I've Been Frosted

Thank you. I sent him a PM asking about getting the number for the district office in my area. I did that because of his other post about contact the office if the mail was late.