Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pit Bulls

Pit Bulls

I feel that it's not the dog's fault that they are all in the pounds, or disliked for attacking. It's partially the PEOPLE WHO RAISE THEM! They are very hard dogs to raise and if you raise them wrong.... they turn on you. Am I the only one that feels this way? I like Pit bulls, or Amstaffs, whatever, but, I wouldn't buy one because of the way people raise them.
    What do you think? AM I THE ONLY ONE WHO HAS SEEN ALL OF THESE PIT BULLS IN SHELTERS???? WE NEED TO HELP THESE DOGS! IT'S NOT THEIR FAULT THEY ARE BEING RAISED WRONG!!!!

Thanks For my Beautiful Sig. Fiachra!

"Blame the deed, not the breed"

You're so right. There are too many "vicious" dogs in shelters. Honestly, I haven't met one pit-bull that was vicious. I volunteer at the animal shelter and every single one of the pits and other vicious labelled dogs I have personally met would like nothing more than to cuddle and give kisses. I really want to run a rescue revolved around vicious labelled breeds when I'm older.

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

ANY dog is VERY hard to raise if it wasn't raised properly from the begining. ANY dog can turn on you, NOT just Pit Bulls.

I personally, have never met ONE Pit Bull with a mean blood in an inch of it's body.

There's tons of them in the Shelter I go to, they're all a bunch of sweeties, most of them being abandoned and hit by cars.

It's the careless people that make the breed look so horrible. and the STUPID STUPID media for blowing it out of a proportion. they always point the finger at the dog, and the dog ends up getting killed--- But what happens to the human who brought it into their household -- most of the time, nothing.

You wouldn't buy one? I wouldn't either.
    I don't like the idea of "buying" a dog. I for sure will adopt or rescue one in the future.

Not adopting because of "the way people raise them", isn't going to do anything to help the breed.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I don't think that the media has blown it up. I think that there are lots of aggressive pit bulls. BUT not because of the breed. There are alot of aggressive pits because they are strong, muscular, tough dogs, therefore they are a popular breed for LOSERS to mistrain and abuse.

The media doesn't blow it up?

A Pit Bull can bite someone -- the News will play it over and over for weeks.

A Yellow Lab can bite someone -- And you only hear aobut it once or twice.

If that's not blowing it up, I don't know what is!

-rx bandits

Ok, you are right. Good point. They do tend to put more emphasis on the "aggressive" breeds.

-But I still do believe that there are many pits out there that are trained, abused, and bred strictly to fight. Which mean, that technically, yes there are a majority of aggressive pits out there.

Yes but, it's because of the moron people -- it's not their fault. Poor babies.

It really makes me sad and angry, especially since I can't say Simba's breed without some stupid person saying something about Pit Bulls. I'm sure to correct them though, hopefully someday people will learn.

-rx bandits

I hear you, Kfamr. I am especially disgusted with the whole pit bull fighting thing today. Did you read my post about what happened?

Yeah.. i just don't know what to say aobut it... And the one with the pictures-- I didn't dare wait for the pictures to load.

-rx bandits

Actually KayAnn, I don't think I've ever heard a story on the news about a pitbull "bite". It's usually a mauling that you hear about, unfortunately. You don't hear about a lab mauling a person because

A. They haven't been taught to do so by a LOSER who should be FED to LIONS himself (not that lions should eat junk food, but...)

B. Labs just don't have the body type to do the extreme damage that pits can do.

You know how much I LOVE pits, but the true fact is that they do more damage than a lab in most cases.

Your right, Micki. Trying to control that dog today really freaked me out. My dog Rosco wasn't even half as muscular. That dog was the strongest dog I've ever dealt with. If something had truly happened, there is no way myself or even a strong man could have controlled his strength.

Of course they do, they have gorgeous muscular bodies, powerful jaws and all. That's what makes them more appealing to MORONS who think it's cool for their dog to be agressive and so on.

I've seen more agressive Labs than I have Pit Bulls.

I'm sure a Lab could do just as bad damage as a Pittie could do- just like any other breed - and be trained as horribly.

And another thing -- I wish more people would act upon it when they see a dog being mistreated. Some people just turn their heads and do nothing about it.

-rx bandits

So true!!!

You are %100 correct! It makes me angry the way people dislike dogs just because of it's breed, because of the way that they have seen MOST people raise them. WHY DON'T THEY RAISE ONE FOR THEIR SELF AND SEE???? I don't get it. I understand you
    %100. It makes me mad when my friends look at a pitbull or mastiff or something and grab me and say "Don't get to close it might jump out and bite you." I just let her know that that dog is just like any other. Two ears, two eyes, a nose, 4 legs, and a bark. It is just the people who raise them. I am glad that there are other people who think my way.

I agree with Kay, she is the one who gave me more info about Pits than ever. I have learned to love them. I want to own at least three of them when I am older.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

Let me preface this post by saying that I like the bully breeds a lot. I've never personally met one that was aggressive to humans. I think they are lovely, goofy, sweet dogs ... the ones I've met anyway.

I have, however, met quite a few that were extremely aggressive to other dogs. And, of course to cats and small animals, but that is just a "dog thing" to some degree. We had to turn many away from our humane society, because they were so dog-aggresive.

However, I do agree with Micki76's post:

Originally posted by micki76
    Actually KayAnn, I don't think I've ever heard a story on the news about a pitbull "bite". It's usually a mauling that you hear about, unfortunately. You don't hear about a lab mauling a person because

A. They haven't been taught to do so by a LOSER who should be FED to LIONS himself (not that lions should eat junk food, but...)

B. Labs just don't have the body type to do the extreme damage that pits can do.

You know how much I LOVE pits, but the true fact is that they do more damage than a lab in most cases.

Pit bulls are used for illegal dog fighting because they have the skeletal, muscular and jaw/head strength to be extremely powerful and lethal fighting machines. Yes, you can make any dog aggresive and mean by how you raise it and treat it. But, no matter how you raise a border collie, a golden retriever or a lab, it is never going to have the physical characteristics that make pit bulls so deadly to other dogs in a fighting ring.

You could look at a hundred pit bulls, a hundred labs and a hundred pugs ... and perhaps you would find the same percentage of aggressive dogs in each breed. However, honestly ... if you had to be locked in a room with an aggresive pit bull or an aggresive lab or an aggressive pug ... any one with any sense is going to choose the dog with the least potential ability to do real damage. People may get bitten by cocker spaniels, labs and chihuahuas every day. This doesn't make the news. What makes the news are maulings and death. And, frankly, cocker spaniels, labs and chihuahuas don't kill people.

I do remember hearing about pit bulls mauling and killing people. I also remember hearing (on here, I think) about Great Danes killing a child. When I lived in Colorado, a malamute killed a child. And of course, who can forget the Dogo's killing that poor woman in San Fransico. So, I don't think it is necesarily that the media single out pit bulls. I think the media reports on maulings and deaths, and sadly, pit bulls account for a lot of this. Yes, I agree 100% that it is due to poor breeding and training, and fighting, that causes them to do this. But, nonetheless, far more responsibility is required of someone who chooses to own a dog that is capable of literally killing a human being, than from someone who chooses to own a four pound yorkie.

I currently have a pit bull mix living in my boarding kennel. He was rescued from animal control, probably used as a bait dog by the charming local dog fighting ring here. He was a mess. After I fixed him up - took six months - I took him to the humane society to find a home. He was very dog aggressive, and they couldn't control his very strong desire to bite every four legged thing in sight. I brought him to my kennel. I have been desperately trying to find this dog a home for three years now. I cannot. Between the "scary" looks, the dog aggression, and the reputation ... no one is adopting this dog. I am going to have to euthanize him, because he can't live in a kennel forever. I LOVE this dog, but what can I do? This is the sad side of the pit bull story ... the dogs pay the price.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien