Thread: Dog presents his bum after you begin petting him

Dog presents his bum after you begin petting him

Hi. I've got an odd questions (or so I think it is odd). Whenever we start petting my 2 y.o. mix breed (Australian cattle dog, pit bull, springer spaniel), neutered dog, he spins around and give you his bum to scratch... every time. Why is he doing this?

Combination of several things- number one- he wants it scratched, number two- he trusts you and is " presenting " himself to you.
    YOu can do several things- number one- continue- knowing he likes it. Number 2 find another spot ( my guys like their face rubbed and ear scratched etc) number 3- stop petting him when he does it ( but that seems uh a little mean... but he will stop doing it. ) YOu can also have him sit and continue petting him ( he cant present what he is sitting on ya know...)

Thanks for the quick reply

wow, that was a fast reply. I guess I really have nothingn to worry about. He likes it and trusts me, can't go wrong there.

Well, hey - Who REALLY wants to scratch their own bum? If you could get someone else to do it, wouldn't you?

You've got nothing to worry about. My oldest, Simba, likes his bum scratched the most too.

Welcome to Pet Talk!

~Kay

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

Quote Originally Posted by Wally's Mom
    wow, that was a fast reply. I guess I really have nothingn to worry about. He likes it and trusts me, can't go wrong there.
    Exactly! You can just tell him to sit, but he seems to think you approve and he likes it.. Nothing wrong there...

Quote Originally Posted by Wally's Mom
    Hi. I've got an odd questions (or so I think it is odd). Whenever we start petting my 2 y.o. mix breed (Australian cattle dog, pit bull, springer spaniel), neutered dog, he spins around and give you his bum to scratch... every time. Why is he doing this?

Sounds like he likes schritchs more than he does stroking his hair.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hottie wants his head scratched- he will walk up to you and shove his head into you.. Now with uh tall uh men- this can be a problem.. Or with me- its right into my stomach or chest- but thats what he wants- and alllllllllllll of mine will back up to a couch and try to sit in your lap.. Now thats fine if you arent drinking something but they are still taller than you are if you are sitting on a couch..
    I figure- if they like it- why not.. I mean we all want affection how we want it- why should they be any different?????

Smile

I agree that your dog probally does like his but to be scratched, however my moms, alustralian colie, sherperd mix, does the same thing and mostly it is because she likes to be scratched there, but she also gets dermontidice (not sure how to spell that lol) and she gets it there, so she lovesssss to be scratched there. I'm, sure thats not your case, but it always a possibility.

I understand what you are saying. I am sure they checked for a allergy there or fleas.. I think that is just how they want to be petted/ scratched and its a trusting action.