Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Something new???

I use three different computers to sign in to PT and have never seen that. On two it's Internet Explorer and on the other it's Google Chrome.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Next week when I have some time to sit and concentrate without a ton of weekend distractions, I'm going to clear the cache and run an AVG TuneUp too. I have AVG and it runs a scan everyday, but I'm certain some junk must get thru undetected. I got an email from AVG for one free TuneUp, so I guess it's time to use it and see if that makes any difference.

If I had McAfee, I'd think the somewhat looney developer had put a jinx on his own system!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

When I copy and paste anything into the text field here from Wikipedea, I cannot get rid of the blue color nor the underlining. I can format the normal text, though.

Christmas (Old English: Crīstesmęsse, meaning "Christ's Mass") is an annual commemoration of the birth of Jesus Christ[5][6] and a widely observed holiday, celebrated generally on December 25[2][3][4] by billions of people around the world. A feast central to the Christian liturgical year, it closes the Advent season and initiates the twelve days of Christmastide.[7] Christmas is a civil holiday in many of the world's nations,[8][9][10] is celebrated by an increasing number of non-Christians,[1][11][12] and is an integral part of the Christmas and holiday season.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Randi, if you then go back to "edit" the text, you'll see it really looks like this:

Christmas ([U ][URL ="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Old_English_language"]Old English[/ URL][/U ]: Crīstesmęsse, meaning "[URL ="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ"]Christ[/URL]'s [URL ="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_%28liturgy%29"]Mass[/U RL]") is an annual commemoration of [URL ="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nativity_of_Jesus"]the birth[/ URL] of [URL ="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesus_Christ"]Jesus Christ[/ URL][URL ="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#cite_note-5"][5][/ URL][/S UP][S UP][URL ="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#cite_note-CathChrit-6"][6][/ URL][/ SUP] and a widely observed holiday, celebrated generally on [URL = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/December_25"]December 25[/URL][S UP][U RL = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#cite_note-altdays-2"][2][/URL][SUP][URL = "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#cite_note-Jan7-3"][3][/ URL][/S UP][S UP][URL= "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christmas#cite_note-4Dates-4"][4][/ URL ][/S UP] by billions of people

I just put a bunch of spaces in the "break" the tags so you can see them! Then it is easy to delete them.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Next week when I have some time to sit and concentrate without a ton of weekend distractions, I'm going to clear the cache and run an AVG TuneUp too. I have AVG and it runs a scan everyday, but I'm certain some junk must get thru undetected. I got an email from AVG for one free TuneUp, so I guess it's time to use it and see if that makes any difference.

If I had McAfee, I'd think the somewhat looney developer had put a jinx on his own system!
    Until you get this code off your machine, every time you click on one of those ads, you are making money for some Russian or Asian spammer out there ... so resist clicking for now!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Until you get this code off your machine, every time you click on one of those ads, you are making money for some Russian or Asian spammer out there ... so resist clicking for now!
    Oh don't worry - I'm not clicking. I did on a few when I first noticed them, but not anymore. I just find it annoying to see blue underlined words in an otherwise normal black script.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I do believe I found the problem - tho it is rather odd to say the least - IMO

I was trying to think of what I was doing the day prior to this all happening, and the only thing I did different, was to change the wallpaper to a winter Christmas scene. I've had it in a file for several years when I saved it from an email, and I've used it every Christmas season with no issues. Another odd thing I noticed after I made the change, is that when I would shut down, the previous wallpaper that I had been using, would appear for several seconds before the usual "Windows is saving your settings" etc would come up. So this morning I changed the wallpaper back to what I previously had up, and now no more blue/underlined words, and no more hidden wallpapers popping up when I log off.

Any ideas on this - anyone?????
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Evil people hide the malware programs that take over your machine in every conceivable way. This may be a good example of a Trojan Horse. They give you the "free" wallpaper that you like, which you download onto your machine, but it also contains the evil hidden software to hijack ads, and who knows what else. Normally once it is installed, it does not let go. You are very lucky if, just by turning off the wallpaper, it turns off the malware too, that is not usually the case.

It would be good if you looked up the name of the wallpaper to see if any of the anti-virus places have instructions to officially remove it, which they may as you said this is several years old.

We're glad you remembered what you did! Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
    I've Been Frosted

Pom, try running Spybot Search and Destroy. Definitely sounds like malware more than a classic virus.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Once it is posted, you can go back into your post by hitting "edit" and remove the link, which will then be readily apparent!
    Thanks! Never thought of that!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Evil people hide the malware programs that take over your machine in every conceivable way. This may be a good example of a Trojan Horse. They give you the "free" wallpaper that you like, which you download onto your machine, but it also contains the evil hidden software to hijack ads, and who knows what else. Normally once it is installed, it does not let go. You are very lucky if, just by turning off the wallpaper, it turns off the malware too, that is not usually the case.
    But this is nothing that I downloaded from any site. I just don't do that because of all the risks - just as I never open any links - even from people I know and trust. That picture I was using was in an email from a friend and I received it several years ago, and I never had any problem using it until now. If it was contaminated with anything at all, why didn't it show up before this year? That's what has me baffled!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    But this is nothing that I downloaded from any site. I just don't do that because of all the risks - just as I never open any links - even from people I know and trust. That picture I was using was in an email from a friend and I received it several years ago, and I never had any problem using it until now. If it was contaminated with anything at all, why didn't it show up before this year? That's what has me baffled!
    Every piece of malware targets different parts of the Windows operating system code. It could be you didn't have the version of the operating system you currently do when you saved it from that person's email - and by the way, email attachments are just as likely to have malware embedded, that's very common.

This is why I am glad I am on a Mac, so I can receive folks emailed pet nominations with no worries!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, I did do that, but it's not much help since it's rather tedious to have to delete so much code in between the text. Thanks anyway.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.