Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How HIGH are you? Even more high-ness?

How HIGH are you? Even more high-ness?

http://www.thaindian.com/newsportal/...100346836.html

and

http://www.philly.com/philly/wires/a...restclimb.html

How 'high' are the parents of this kid?

Keep your eye peeled on this story.
    Last edited by RICHARD; 04-14-2010 at 09:43 PM. Reason: More high-ness?

I have strong opinions on mountain climbing, specifically, and ANY "quest" to do extra- risky type of behavior. You 'deserve' your fate. Doesn't do much to the heart broken people that either loved you, or tried to save your sorry a$$ from death though, does it?

WHY, WHY,WHY can't these people sponsor or support their children in scoring the highest grade on standardized tests, complete their eduction in less time than anyone ever, obtain the most degrees, cure cancer or any other disease, build more houses for Habitat, write books that serve a purpose, do charitable deeds, help the truly afflicted, etc., etc., etc.???

Why is it that the person that wants to be the best at something usually also carry with it the label of being the most selfish or grandiose seeking?

You only get the chance to live one time. Why not get the most bang for your buck? Is climbing a mountain really all that you want to get out of life? Is that what 'defines' you?

Give me the less risky, more travelled path, any day. Sure, maybe I don't get that 10 minute 'thrill' from a free fall...but, I get to see my family every day from here on after.

I couldn't have said it better.

But I'm not so sure about "obtain the most degrees". That doesn't serve anyone in the long run--you just have to take a job for which you're 'overqualified"

Quote Originally Posted by mruffruff View Post
    I couldn't have said it better.

But I'm not so sure about "obtain the most degrees". That doesn't serve anyone in the long run--you just have to take a job for which you're 'overqualified"
    Yeah, I might have been stretching at that one..

I could have not said this anybetter.. I so Aggrree 100%.. thank you
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I have strong opinions on mountain climbing, specifically, and ANY "quest" to do extra- risky type of behavior. You 'deserve' your fate. Doesn't do much to the heart broken people that either loved you, or tried to save your sorry a$$ from death though, does it?

WHY, WHY,WHY can't these people sponsor or support their children in scoring the highest grade on standardized tests, complete their eduction in less time than anyone ever, obtain the most degrees, cure cancer or any other disease, build more houses for Habitat, write books that serve a purpose, do charitable deeds, help the truly afflicted, etc., etc., etc.???

Why is it that the person that wants to be the best at something usually also carry with it the label of being the most selfish or grandiose seeking?

You only get the chance to live one time. Why not get the most bang for your buck? Is climbing a mountain really all that you want to get out of life? Is that what 'defines' you?

Give me the less risky, more travelled path, any day. Sure, maybe I don't get that 10 minute 'thrill' from a free fall...but, I get to see my family every day from here on after.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

WYH?

What about the brother and sister that have been chasing the 'Youngest World's Circumnavigator record lately?

Wasn't there a kid that got killed trying to set the "youngest pilot' record or some such nonsense?

My parents instilled into us the idea that we could go out and take on life.

They hinted that we could come to them and ask them for guidance and a second chance.
    -----------

I wonder if the parent/step-parent have factored in the truth that they have no control over their son and his interaction with the Khumbu Icefall, the Rock Band or the Hillary Step?

I would love to see this kid with a peanut allergy or 'mountiain sickness' and having to scrub the attempt.

Do not get me wrong.

To climb Everest is on my list, but, to egg this poor kid on to try?

Morons.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Cataholic

http://www.google.com/search?q=mountain+climbing+for+charity&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-USfficial&client=firefox-a
    http://www.mtkilimanjarologue.com/st...r-charity.html

There are those that use the celebrity they attain for the good of their fellow man. Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman road Motorcycles around the world to benefit UNICEF. Lance Armstrong used his 7 Tour de france wins to promote Cancer research. Most of Nascar drivers have a charitable foundations raising money for the good of mankind. The list goes on and on. All driven chance takers are not selfish in what they do, so we need to recognize and support these driven people. There are many mountain climbers that climb for charity also. Read both links Cataholic
    Last edited by kokopup; 04-13-2010 at 09:22 AM.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

Cataholic
    It has been my experience that it is right the opposite. The driven Type "A" are
    also the ones that give back the most. See post above.
    Last edited by kokopup; 04-13-2010 at 11:34 AM.
    “You live and you learn, but if you never learn, at least you are still living.”
    — Unknown

^^ No doubt there are peope out there that are thrill seekers AND charitable donors...it is a rare situation that excludes anything all the time.

As for Lance...I thought he was a cyclist long before his cancer was diagnosed. Of course, I don't doubt that he used some of his money to support cancer research (that is probably more common than you might think, aquiring a disease and then helping fund its research). The breast cancer walks seem very heavy with both survivors of the disease and the people that walk in support of those afflicted.

Dude,

What are parents doing to get kids high?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-skydives.html

How HIGH to you have to get to get some 'tail'?

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-Red-Bull.html

and then....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...h-a-kayak.html

How high am I . . . . . .

850.4 feet above sea level

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    How high am I . . . . . .

850.4 feet above sea level
    Wait,

Including you height?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Wait,