Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gun control discussion

Hybrid View

In countries where they have gun bans, etc, crimes for other weapons, ie knives, are actually higher.

http://sob.apotheon.org/?p=1323

In or about 2006, there were about 60 million (actually closer to 58M, but we'll use the rounded-up number to be kind to hopolophobes) people in the UK as a whole, including Scotland.

In England and Wales alone — discounting Scotland — there were over 163 thousand knife crimes.

By the end of 2006, there were more than 300 million people in the US as a whole.

In the US as a whole, there were fewer than 400 thousand gun crimes.

In the UK, based on these numbers, there was one knife crime commited for every 374 people (rounded down).

In the US, based on these numbers, there was one gun crime committed for every 750 people — less than half a gun crime per 374 people (about 0.4987 gun crimes per 374 people, actually).

That means that, based on these statistics, you are more than twice as likely to be a victim of knife crime in the UK as you are to be a victim of gun crime in the US.
    Interesting read.

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    In countries where they have gun bans, etc, crimes for other weapons, ie knives, are actually higher.

Interesting read.
    Interesting - except it leaves out something. How many of the victims of knife crimes died?

How many people have gone on mad knifing rampages in movie theaters, at worship services?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    Interesting - except it leaves out something. How many of the victims of knife crimes died?
    It's not like everyone who is a gun violence victim dies, either. Witness the U.S. Olympian Bryshon Nelson, shot twice in the legs who survived and ran in the Olympics.

It's hard to get statistics that show a whole picture, as everyone stating them seems to have one agenda or another.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It's not like everyone who is a gun violence victim dies, either. Witness the U.S. Olympian Bryshon Nelson, shot twice in the legs who survived and ran in the Olympics.

It's hard to get statistics that show a whole picture, as everyone stating them seems to have one agenda or another.
    I agree with you Karen...comparing knife crimes to gun homicides isn't valid. But I can tell you, to phesina's point, I will take my odds in a movie theater with a crazed knife wielder over my odds in a movie theater with a crazed gun wielder! Or shopping mall...or house of worship, or grade school, or college lecture hall, etc. etc.

[QUOTE=Karen;2432319]It's not like everyone who is a gun violence victim dies, either. Witness the U.S. Olympian Bryshon Nelson, shot twice in the legs who survived and ran in the Olympics.[/QUOTE}

I'm sorry - what??

Here is my question.

I grew up "out in the country." Could not see the neighbors. Just the buffalo on the next farm. Went away to college. Lived alone from the time I graduated college until I met my husband. Over 20 years. During that time I lived alone. Including two years in Guadalajara Mexico and over 12 years in the city of Chicago. I traveled all over - 44 of the United States, Europe, Mexico and South America...even Egypt. Sometimes alone...other times with female friends.

Never...not once...did I ever think..."if only I had a gun!!!"

I had my purse stolen once. My own stupidity and not something I would be willing to shoot someone over. And... my insurance covered it.

So...why the fear?

Now...why don't we all go and say something nice about today's dog/cat/pet?

So...why the fear?
    And for those of us on the other side of the debate, the question is exatly that: Why the fear?

A firearm is an inanimate object. I fear a firearm no more than I fear a tablesaw.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    And for those of us on the other side of the debate, the question is exatly that: Why the fear?

A firearm is an inanimate object. I fear a firearm no more than I fear a tablesaw.
    So how many people do you know...or have you EVER heard of who were killed by a tablesaw???

Sita Singh, 41, Ranjit Singh, 49, the temple's President Satwant Singh Kaleka, 65, Prakash Singh, 39, Suveg Singh, 84 and Paramjit Kaur, 41

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dewndw744xrs.jpg 
Views:	1059 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	54456

This table saw is portable, so it would be able to chase you down.

----------------------------------

Go hang out in a trauma ER for a weekend and see all the crap people use to promote mayhem onto each other.

A gun is a rather impersonal way to show your displeasure at another human being.

----------------------------

Check out what a broken bottle will do to skin.

Check out the xray of a fractured skull. A baseball bat, tire iron or in a pinch? A brick will do nicely.

A stick or 2x4 makes a nice club.

Iron skillets can be wielded with no problem, or the hot fat/oil won't break a bone - but how's about a visit to the burn ward or a few dozen skin grafts.

Look about the room you are in and use a little imagination. You can pretty much beat the crap out of anyone with what's at hand.

Me?

I prefer not to let anyone get really close to me.

I don't like to be touched.

So...why the fear?
    I truthfully do not have the fear that something will happen. That would be living my life in fear, and I don't. But like LH said, I agree that a gun is an inanimate object and it just doesn't strike fear in me. Guns are a part of life, and are they used immorally and irresponsibly? Absolutely and I think that is some we can all agree on. But clearly, someone who is going on a shooting rampage has issues already whether it be extreme anger or they just have their screws loose - but the gun didn't tell them to go on said rampage. The problem is these laws only strive to control a small factor - the weapon being used.

I would like to know how many of the ones who went on a shooting rampage over the years, had got their weapon legally and how many did not? Also, what does it take to be allowed to carry a gun? Any kind of psychological tests? What kind of papers do you fill out - and is that all you have to do?

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post

Interesting read.
    Are the rates of people being knifed in those countries as high as those of people being shot in this country?
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

14. All gun control does is punish law-abiding citizens
    I am a law-abiding citizen. I do not feel at all punished by sensible gun laws. Indeed...I feel punished by the lack of sensible gun laws.

And I am not afraid of criminals breaking into my house. I am just not. I am afraid of people running around with concealed weapons. Very afraid.

So there you have it...I am firmly committed to gun control.

Isn't it a wonderful country where people can agree to disagree...well...most of them anyway!

Now if we are talking about sensible gun laws...like registration and background checks - of course I am all for that! That's like allowing people to drive without a road test or license and no car registration.