Thread: Human names gone out of fashion

Hybrid View

My name Debbie seems to have gone out of style.....all of the Debbie's I know are in their fifties.....except for Little Debbie's in the grocery treat aisle!

Quote Originally Posted by sirrahbed View Post
    My name Debbie seems to have gone out of style.....all of the Debbie's I know are in their fifties.....except for Little Debbie's in the grocery treat aisle!
    I know a Debbie, who is the daughter of a friend, I think she's 18 now, so the name has not died out completely!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    This thread has me thinking of a lot of relatives I haven't thought of in years. Thanks for jogging my memory, Karen.

My grandparents were Ella & Kenyon and Rose & Alexander. Guess which ones were the Italians.

My mother was Esther Emma, and her sibs were Lillian, Myrtle, Luther and William.

My father was Charles Carl (changed from Candeloro Carlo), and his sibs were Alexander, Archibald (the founder of the original Archie's Pizza in Pawtucket ), Arthur, Vincent, Adeline, Amalia and Evelyn. Arthur's children were Rose and Ernest, and Adeline's sons were Norman and Clement.

A whole family of names you seldom, if ever, hear anymore.

My brothers had more common names, as do my 2 sons.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Alexander is actually a very common name now!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Alexander is actually a very common name now!
    Absolutely - and it's my grandson's middle name.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Evelyn is actually my most favorite girls name. If the super unlikely ever happened and I had a daughter, thats what I would want to name her! Then again, its more likely that I'll name a dog that than a kid. I didn't realize that it was a popular name back in the day. I have only known one elderly woman and one girl near my age that were blessed with the name. Then again, I was cursed with a fairly common name. I can't wait for it to go out of style!
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

I know an Esther (actually two of different generations) and a Hester, which is a very old name. My step-grandmother was Evelyn, and my paternal grandmother, Phyllis. There's a name you never here anymore. For guys, Sydney, Horace or Clarence (assorted ancestors). I think names get recycled; they fall out of favor if they get too popular, then come back as "novelties".
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

In the Scottish branch of our family tree there are quite a few Alexanders. My dad was named after the adored family doctor, Dr. George Nelles. His one older brother got George, and he got Nelles. He legally changed it to Ned when he joined the Mounties in 1948 as the original name might have been thought a bit too feminine. Broke 'is mother's 'art, 'e did!

My mom's parents came from Ukraine. He was Seniuk, which was changed to Simon. Hers was (sp?) Theodosia, which I think is lovely. Some immigration genius changed it to Phyllis. PHYLLIS???!!??

On my dad's side was an aunt, Tertuliah. I love the old world sound of it. Nickname: Aunt Tootie. Umm....
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I noticed a lot of names that used to be popular seem to have just vanished. But biblical names seem to be coming into style more and more. Then we have the very odd names that I had never heard before, like Storm, Star, and of course Paris and Prince have become popular for obvious reasons....
    I don't know how the kids who have those names will react when they get older.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    In the Scottish branch of our family tree there are quite a few Alexanders. My dad was named after the adored family doctor, Dr. George Nelles. His one older brother got George, and he got Nelles. He legally changed it to Ned when he joined the Mounties in 1948 as the original name might have been thought a bit too feminine. Broke 'is mother's 'art, 'e did!

My mom's parents came from Ukraine. He was Seniuk, which was changed to Simon. Hers was (sp?) Theodosia, which I think is lovely. Some immigration genius changed it to Phyllis. PHYLLIS???!!??

On my dad's side was an aunt, Tertuliah. I love the old world sound of it. Nickname: Aunt Tootie. Umm....
    My middle name, Theo, comes from Theodosia, a great-great grandmother's name!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I have told this story before.......

I used to fill out the census cards for a hospital.. This was before computers so we had giant Cardveyor machines filled with 3x5 cards in alpha order. A baby would be born and filed under "Jones, Baby Boy". When I got the baby's given name, I'd pull that card and make the changes to it........So Jones, Baby Boy would get his name and filed under Jones, James- for example.

In the late 70's, early 80's people began to 'personalize' names by subbing vowels with 'y', naming kids after products like cars, booze and household items......just kidding about the household items.

James became Jaymes, Michael -Mychayl...and by changing a few letters, you could now have a little girl with a traditional 'male' name.

The problem was people losing the temp cards and calling in to make an appointment for the child.

We would get a request for James Jones, and because we didn't have a file number, we has to look in the machine and there would be no James Jones because we were looking for a MALE JAMES JONES and the parent didn't tell
    the nurse that its JAYMES JONES, a female - So we had to pull the census and go back to make sure of the birthdate...and find out we had wasted valuable time looking for a name that didn't exist.

People do not realize the problems that might come from naming their kids with unique names, it may be cute, but be assured that there will be a problem or two further down the line?