Thread: How do you deal with Spam?

How do you deal with Spam?

Note for british members - NOT THAT SPAM!!!

I suppose we all get more and more spam, and it's very annoying!! Only a few weeks ago, I started copying the spammers IP addresses and wrote to our provider to see if they can do something about it. I know there are blacklists, but as the spammers keep changing addresses, it's useless!
    I've tried to block them on our mailserver, it doesn't work either.

I like this article about spamming!

http://www.bayarea.com/mld/cctimes/business/5918634.htm
    Last edited by Randi; 05-29-2003 at 02:26 PM.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Interesting article Would have loved to see the face of the spammer who received 10,000 of the same e-mail. I've heard that it's better not to unsubsribe when you get unsolicitated e-mail. Because then they know it's a valid e-mail address and will unsub you from that list and stick you on 10 others. I've heard it's better just to block the sender of the e-mail.

Tiff and the ever expanding krewe
    Scout, Gigi, & Bixby -the kitties
    Rory, Lola, Jax, Max, & Lulu -the ferrets

I hate spam. Here's how I try and keep it to a minimum:

My main mail account is my ISP account. I protect that email address very well - I don't give it out to just anyone, and whenever I have to sign up for anything online (except stuff like eBay, PayPal, and Amazon.com - those are companies I trust) I use my Yahoo.com free account instead. This really cuts down on the majority of spam, although I think my ISP has some filters in place too.

Yahoo has a pretty good bulk email folder, if the stuff is not directly addressed to me (as most spam is) it goes in there. I can empty that folder out without even looking at the spam. Whenever I have to provide an email addy and I'm not sure if a site will share or sell my info, I use the Yahoo account.

Re: How do you deal with Spam?

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Randi
    [B]Note for british members - NOT THAT SPAM!!!

He He He Randi - d'you know people still eat that stuff!!!

I'm so fed up with the amount of spam I get - when we got back from our 2 weeks holiday - I has 2,580 emails!!! 12 were from friends and yes you've guessed it - the rest were spam!!! Grrrrr it makes my blood boil - such a waste of time.

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

Like Boscibo, we keep our e-mail address with our ISP fairly private and don't use it to subscribe to e-mail lists or anything in the public arena. We use our Hotmail addresses for that so if anyone sells our e-mail address, they'll just get the Hotmail one. That gets about 300 spams a week, so I don't bother checking it any more. The private address gets about 2 a week, so I can live with that ... just.
    Nicole, Mini, Jasmine, Pickles, Tabasco, Schnaggles and Buffy

OOOps, when I read the subject line, I thought you were talking about the lunch meat......
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I totally know what you mean about spam. Hotmail is very bad about it, so I stopped using that account. I found another free email provider (www.fastmail.fm) that I have not had any spam at all. I'm pleased.
    I agree, when I have to sign up for stuff on the internet (aside from ebay and the likes) I use my "bogus" email account which is just another freebie email account I use for junk.

easily!!! We run our own email server (iahu.ca) & we put up an anti-spaming program so no one who uses our email will get spamed & if one gets through, action is taken very quickly & the spamer is hunted down & shot (not really but his spam will be blocked).

if u want to try ours go to fttp://webmail.iahu.ca

iahu is pronounced yahoo

there r a couple PT members using iahu.ca & they said its good so far & its been a month or 2 now

mine is [email protected] we have about 10 members so far, so very few names r taken.