Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heatwave!!!!

Heatwave!!!!

Now the Big Heat is here, and the heatwaves we had so far this year are nothing compared to this one. 100°F outside today, and here in my flat, it's 82°F. This is how I have to sleep tonight, the temperatures won't go down below 70°F outside, it's gonna be what they call a "tropical night".

I'm not myself today, I'm feeling totally ill. No idea how to go to work tomorrow, especially as tomorrow is predicted to be even hotter! I just can't stand it, makes me feel as if I'm in a heavy fever. Unbearable!!!

Kirsten

Kirsten, I find putting a cold face cloth around the back of my neck helps a lot. Also, I fill up a water bottle, a little less than half way with water and then put it in the freezer at night and in the morning fill the rest of the bottle up with water. This way you have some nice ice water to help cool you down and keep you hydrated.

So far, here in Montreal, we have been having below normal temperatures, which I am not complaining about at all. I hate the heat.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

Will try that with the icy water. I'm putting ice packs onto my head and neck the entire day now, and even though it's so hot, I think I'm getting a cold!! Go figure! My head is aching, my ears are aching, I have sore throat and a runny nose... And all I can think of is some nice, cool, fresh air... OMG, how I hate these temperatures!!! They say it will cool off a bit on Tuesday, but it will take DAYS before I'll get this warm and muggy air out of my apartment!

And I fear tomorrow. We will have temperatures of 95°F and more in our office, it's been the same last year. I collapsed there twice. Or office is under the roof of the building (like my flat), and when it's that hot, even fans won't help anymore.

Kirsten

Oh no Kirsten, I hope you aren't getting a cold. Poor you.

I also find a good way to beat the heat is too fill a pail with cold water and stick your feet in, along with the cold cloth around your neck.

What I do with my fan is have it facing the window so it draws some of the hot air out of the house.

Think cool Kirsten, think cool. I feel for you and anyone else who is going through a heat wave. Like I mentioned before, I hate the heat.
    Last edited by rg_girlca; 07-15-2007 at 05:35 PM.

R.I.P. my Precious Katie, Katie Pretty Lady.
    Oct. 1991 - Oct. 9, 2005
    R.I.P. my Beloved Wild Hair Wee Willy Winky
    April 8, 2005 - June 19, 2009
    R.I.P. my best friend Buddy.
    Sept. 1993 - Feb. 04, 2010
    R.I.P. my handsome Mooky.
    July 24, 2002 - April 1, 2010

I had JUST put a cool damp facecloth around the back of my neck and onto my shouders, and came back to see this thread.

That is a GREAT idea about the bucket of cold water.

Kirsten - if your office place had the fans at the windows pulling the air OUT (cooler air would be drawn up from below - air can get through anything) I wonder if that would help a little bit. Even a couple of degrees can do a lot.

I hope you aren't getting a cold! Try the bucket of water and the cloth...hugs!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

great info all
    Hi all cat lovers have a nice day. chack out my meassge Board at
    http://orangeangelcat.proboards22.com/index.cgi

Please keep that heatwave in Germany , it is warm here, but I absolutely don't want a heatwave like last year....
    Last edited by Maya & Inka's mommy; 07-17-2007 at 10:05 AM.
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

I am SO jealous!

Summer in the UK has been absolutely dreadful, I think the only sunny week we had was at the beginning of June. Since then, we've pretty much had rain, cloud and wind every day. It's what you'd expect as November weather. On Saturday afternoon, it was relatively warm with a short spell of cloudless sky, and I think everyone was in their back gardens that day, making the most of the sun before the rain returned on Sunday!

There's been floods in many areas with people evacuated from their homes. Thankfully, even though I live in a very flat area, there are no major rivers near enough to have caused flooding where I live. The closest that I have gotten to flooding this year is an inch of water on the lawn (yep, floating on top, the drainage system couldn't cope!) and the drains burst at the riding stables causing a lot of stables to be abandoned as they filled with water.

I don't think we're going to end up with much summer at all here, so send we poor little Brits a chunk of that heatwave, Kirsten!

Zimbabwe 07/13

I'm sorry to hear you have a heatwave, I know how unbearable it is when you live in a flat. We in Denmark seem to be OK for now, we had a little thunderstorm last night, so the temperature is quite pleasant today.

Sticking your feet in a cold bowl of water and having a wet cloth around your neck, sounds like an excellent idea!

Wipe Luna and Lily with wet cloths also.

This is our weather forecast.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

It's minus 3 degrees here right now.....at 9.44pm.
    I think it will get to minus 10 degrees tonite.
    Ready to snuggle up underneath the bed covers
    Wom

"I'm Back !!"

And here's ours:

Isn't it just awful? Well, at least the temperatures will go down a bit the next days, but they say it's gonna be very humid, which ain't no good news.

Miss Z, I think I have to relocate to the UK. LOL Floods, however, is something that no one needs, we often get them too after long periods of heat, and they cause a lot of destruction.

The day at the office was awful, 90°F, and I think I had my head under the faucet at least 10 times today. I could only stand it with wet hair. I also had a wet towel in the freezer of the fridge which I used for my face and neck from time to time.

Now I'm home, and I'm gonna have a long, cool shower now...

Kirsten

It hasn't been super hot here lately, but the last two days I spent baking in a parking lot wearing a lot of leather, so I do sympathize.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

heatwave!

Kirsten, I know what you're going through with your heatwave. The heat has settled down in Pittsburgh with the temperature right now at 80 degrees with low (32%) humidity. This is much better on me and my heart.

No air conditioned buildings or homes in Germany? Ewwwwwwwww
    I'm so glad we have whole house air conditioning available for homes and businesses.
    Owned by my 8 precious furry kids... My 3 daughters Cindy & Abby & Aly and 5 sons Skinny, Stephen, Carson, Fuzzmuzz and Franklin.
    Owned by two special canine sons Coco and Snoopy and two canine daughters, Sadie and Gretchen

Always in our hearts RBButterscotch & RBThumper, RB Ms. Eleanor

Cathy, sounds horrible! I don't envy you!

David, glad to hear it has cooled off a bit in your area!

Craftlady, I really envy the US people for their a/c!! Facing another night with almost 85°F here in my bedroom is no fun at all!

BTW, just read that Germany is currently the hottest country in Europe, even in the Southern European countries like Spain and Italy it is cooler. Seems like Germany is very much affected by global warming...

Kirsten