Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you used k9 advantix, or frontline, or frontline plus on your pets?

Have you used k9 advantix, or frontline, or frontline plus on your pets?

I have used k9 Advantix on Chica and have had problems with it. I know now that Chica gets a very bad irritation from the stuff. It is suppose to go through the blood stream through the animals skin to protect them from fleas etc. The chemical in this stuff is too irritating to Chicas skin and makes her itch her ears so bad, she scrathes until the back of her ears are red and bald.K9Advantix has different chemicals than Frontline. I haven't used frontline yet untill I talk to my vet. Does anyone have bad results like this with their dogs or cats?
    From

I use the Advantix on mine and haven't had a problem. Maybe Chica is just really sensitive to the chemicals. Maybe trying another one will help like you said.
    Amber: Mom to Connor, Carson, Sadie, Maggie and Grant

I don't use K9 Advantix and NEVER will! It contains permethrin - which is deadly to cats. Using this stuff on your dog when there are cats around can cause your cat to seizure and die. I will stick to Advantage.

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

I don't use anything unless if I spot fleas. Our heartworm (Sentinel) protects against fleas as well so I haven't had much of a problem. If I do have to apply something I use Advantix.

Permethrin is a poison. I would never, ever expose my child or my pets to it.

Permethrin, like all synthetic pyrethroids, is a neurotoxin. Symptoms include tremors, incoordination, elevated body temperature, increased aggressive behavior, and disruption of learning. Laboratory tests suggest that permethrin is more acutely toxic to children than to adults. There are over 18 brands of permethrin spot-on products available that are labeled for "dogs only." These typically contain high concentrations (45-65%) of permethrin insecticide and are used for flea and tick control. These permethrin products have a good margin of safety when used on dogs, but even a few drops of concentrated permethrin could be lethal to a cat. Owners most commonly expose cats to these products through inappropriate or accidental application. The signs commonly seen with permethrin toxicity in cats include generalized tremors, muscle fasciculation and seizures. Signs can develop within hours or may be delayed up to 48 hours.

• AMADEUS • AUGUSTUS • SEBASTIAN • THEODORE •

That is exactly why I hate applying these things. I avoid them if possible.

This chemical is also what is in lice shampoo for kids. As with all products, they need to be used with adult supervision and be used carefully. If we lived our lives in constant fear how would we ever get day to day?

That is true Amber, but there is just something that bothers me about applying chemicals on my dogs. And if the flea repellant in their heartworm works I don't see a point in applying it.

We use Revolution on Lily. It's for heartworms and fleas, and the only thing it doesnt protect against is Intestinal Parasites. I think it works pretty well. I don't think I've ever used Frontline, but We have used K9 Advantix, and we have a cat, so I will NEVER use it again!
    ♥Bri [HUMAN]♥
    ♥Lily [POMERANIAN], Brennan [APBT], Bailey [APBT/HOUND MIX]♥
    ♥Tallulah[CALICO], Domino [TUXIE]♥
    ♥Peach [RAT], Pepper [RAT], Phoebe [RAT], and PipSqueak [RAT]
    ♥Salvatore [BETTA]♥

“Dream what you want to dream; go where you want to go; be what you want to be,
    because you have only one life and one chance to do all the things you want to do.”

In Loving Memory <3
    Roxy Lily Brennan
    Facebook TigerLily Photography

Sarah, I like the Advantix since it protects against mosquitoes too and since I'm in Florida (you too) I find this necessary when the skeets are out and about. I was not using the flea/tick meds for a few months because I was not finding any fleas on the pups. Maggie had some on her earlier in the month so I bought a one month supply for all 3. I hate seeing the skeets fly all around the pups when they are outside. I live under lots of trees and we are near a river and swamp area is not far away and the skeets are everywhere in the warmer months. They spray in our neighborhood when it gets real bad.

Thank you for all your replies everyone!!!It has been very very helpfull!!!Chica has been suffering with this itching all day today. I will definitely call the vet tomorrow.I don't think I will ever use any chemicals on Chica again!!!!!Chica is an indoor dog. And the only time she goes outside is for a walk.Do I have anything to worry about if I don't use that crap!!!I hope not...I will update you tomorrow!

I use frontline. It works well, but I don't think Autumn would get fleas anyway, we've only had to deal with them once in 15+ years of dog ownership. Permethrin affects dogs too. It is just more likely to affect cats to a point of dying. Dogs don't ingest so much because they don't groom as much and most dogs are larger so it takes more than a few drops. I'm willing to bet there have been small dogs that have died of pyrmethrins.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

If she is an indoor dog then you should be fine. Still check her though frequently just in case she picks some up outside.

Quote Originally Posted by gemini9961
    Sarah, I like the Advantix since it protects against mosquitoes too and since I'm in Florida (you too) I find this necessary when the skeets are out and about. I was not using the flea/tick meds for a few months because I was not finding any fleas on the pups. Maggie had some on her earlier in the month so I bought a one month supply for all 3. I hate seeing the skeets fly all around the pups when they are outside. I live under lots of trees and we are near a river and swamp area is not far away and the skeets are everywhere in the warmer months. They spray in our neighborhood when it gets real bad.
    Interesting, I've never heard that. We get bad mosquitos in the summer time. Guess I've got some reading to do

I've always used Frontline and never had any problem. We used to live by the Mississippi river and ticks were a huge problem in that area, but we only found one once on Star. We're back in Ohio now and this area has a very low concentration of fleas and no ticks. I used to have a link to a tick & flea map, I'll see if I can find it again. Especially since Chica is an indoor dog, I don't see why you would have to use anything heavy duty.