Thread: Burger King Cruelty

Burger King Cruelty

I saw this posted on FB and I thought I'd post it here. I had a hard time watching this. Here's the link: http://www.burgerkingcruelty.com/.

I'm not going to watch it, but it is not the Burger King corporation's fault that one of their suppliers does this - I imagine like any large chain they have hundreds of suppliers, and cannot be expected to know what goes on at every farm ....
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    I can NEVER watch this stuff. Makes me too upset, I imagine there's suffering invlolved. Bad enough!

I did a wee Google search and BK says it has ended its "indirect" association with this company.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I'm not going to watch it, but it is not the Burger King corporation's fault that one of their suppliers does this - I imagine like any large chain they have hundreds of suppliers, and cannot be expected to know what goes on at every farm ....

[whips head around quickly] What? Seriously? That is your thought process? That they can't be expected to know what goes on at every farm....? Shall we apply that across the board? Penn State...the Catholic Church, the sweat shops overseas, the sex trade here in the US? However would those on the tippy top know what the others were doing? How they got their money? No way. As humans, that can never be an acceptable answer. Every single one of us has a duty to 'know what goes on at every farm.....'.

Every single supplier has a "boss". The top of the industry chain. BK accepts this, as do many, many other organizations, and BK has the power to stop it.

And I'm sure PETA and ALF have never, ever planted activists to make abuse videos.....

O, wait, nevermind, the terrorists have done exactly that.

And yes, I do mean terrorists, they are what they are.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    [whips head around quickly] What? Seriously? That is your thought process? That they can't be expected to know what goes on at every farm....? Shall we apply that across the board? Penn State...the Catholic Church, the sweat shops overseas, the sex trade here in the US? However would those on the tippy top know what the others were doing? How they got their money? No way. As humans, that can never be an acceptable answer. Every single one of us has a duty to 'know what goes on at every farm.....'.

Every single supplier has a "boss". The top of the industry chain. BK accepts this, as do many, many other organizations, and BK has the power to stop it.
    You ignored Catty1's post:

"Catty1
    I did a wee Google search and BK says it has ended its "indirect" association with this company."

The higher ups at that farm are responsible. The direct supervisors in any abuse situation - whether it be the church, college - whatever - it is THEIR responsibility. In the case of farms, the county and the state have oversight and should also be responsible.

Companies that employ sweatshops are another matter entirely. They hire the factory, and whoever makes that decision is responsible for making a good and carefully researched decision, and for inspections from time to time.

Do you know what goes on at every single farm in your county? How about in all of Ohio? In the MidWest? In the country? I doubt it, but I am sure like me, if you witnessed or suspected abuse, you would report it to the proper governing board, as would I.
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    No matter how you look at this, it is a very complex topic. Can't say as I know where my favorite resteraunts purchase their meat and fowl. Fast food resteraunts, I am just as clueless. We grocery shop on a budget so we purchase the leanest, freshest meat, poultrey and seafood and the lowest cost. As consumers I think we should take responsibility and find these things out. Never occurs to my husband and I and maybe it is time we did some research and put more thought into this. I know I would prefer nuts and beans if it was up to me to kill my own cow or chicken. We even stopped crabbing and fishing because it was to awful to enjoy. This merely scratches the surface of the issue, but some thoughtfulness and awareness makes a difference, even if it is only little by little. There are many ways to stop animal abuse, I figure every little bit is important.

You ignored Catty1's post:

"Catty1
    I did a wee Google search and BK says it has ended its "indirect" association with this company."

The higher ups at that farm are responsible. The direct supervisors in any abuse situation - whether it be the church, college - whatever - it is THEIR responsibility. In the case of farms, the county and the state have oversight and should also be responsible.

Companies that employ sweatshops are another matter entirely. They hire the factory, and whoever makes that decision is responsible for making a good and carefully researched decision, and for inspections from time to time.

Do you know what goes on at every single farm in your county? How about in all of Ohio? In the MidWest? In the country? I doubt it, but I am sure like me, if you witnessed or suspected abuse, you would report it to the proper governing board, as would I.
    I was responding to your post, not Cattys. I dont know what goes on at any farm, but I do imagine the worst, not the best. I would hold everyone in the chain responsible and dont like the idea of turning a blind eye, claiming some level of remove from the situation because *I* didnt actually do deed complained of. That sounds a bit juvenile of a defense.

If you are an end product user, you have an obligation to know from whom/what you are buying, or suffer the fallout. "It wasnt me" doesnt cut it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I was responding to your post, not Cattys. I dont know what goes on at any farm, but I do imagine the worst, not the best. I would hold everyone in the chain responsible and dont like the idea of turning a blind eye, claiming some level of remove from the situation because *I* didnt actually do deed complained of. That sounds a bit juvenile of a defense.

If you are an end product user, you have an obligation to know from whom/what you are buying, or suffer the fallout. "It wasnt me" doesnt cut it.
    I know that. But I never said I eat at Burger King, or support them, I was just pointing out a fact. Given modern society, the complex food chains, and manufacturing, it would be a full-time job to know everything that gies on at every supplier in the food chain for what I meet, never mind the clothes I wear and products I use. I am a conscientious consumer, you just reacted like I was promoting blissful ignorance about everything in life, when I was not, by any means.

When there was a problem in my local church, I addressed it to the next level up, and then the level beyond that until it was resolved. If I hear of a problem on a farm, I do not eat their products.
    I've Been Frosted

When there was a problem in my local church, I addressed it to the next level up, and then the level beyond that until it was resolved. If I hear of a problem on a farm, I do not eat their products.
    Exactly. Though, I take it one step further and blame/apply pressure to those that CAN make a difference. Heck, I pulled our local, large chain grocery manager aside and explained the difference between "Cage Free" and "Free Range" eggs. He didn't know. He is working on getting free range eggs in the store. Until then, I buy my eggs at another store. Is it a PIA? Yes. But, money talks. As a consumer, we have some ability to alter things. Not like a retailer/wholesaler, for sure.