Thread: Computer virus question

Computer virus question

I noticed things have been slow on my computer. I did a CTRL/ALT/Del and it showed I have somethign running that I've never seen before. So I googled what it is and it said that it was a known trojan that steals passwords, etc. Oh great.

I clicked on it and chose the option to turn it off. I spent a loooong time last night runnign spyware scans and antivirus scans. All my scan software is up to date.

Its back again this evening. Is there some way I can go in and manually delete this program myself? If so, HOW do I go about doing that? I have no idea where I cold have picked it up. And quite frankly, it scares me because now I have bank account info and such on the computer that I've never had until last night because of the ebay stuff.

It is probably embedded and if it's back after you did all those things, then you may need a professional to remove it or refomat your computer.

Thanks Jess for the great sig of my kids!

I love you baby, passed away 03/04/2008

When you googled it did you see a fix for it? That is how Richard has gotten trojans off my computer before. If it's been around for a while there is probably a tool to download that will remove it from you computer.

What is the name of it?

From Decker with Love

definitely try googling again, and a manual fix should pop up. Sometimes trojans embed themselves in your registry so even if you remove it using a virus program, it reinstalls itself shortly thereafter or the next time you restart your computer.

facebook

San Francisco, CA, where life is happy and gay!
    Either go through Google for a fix or search the McAfee or Symantec "knowledge bases" for a fix. Quite often they will have removal tools for trojans that deeply embed themselves in your system. The fix might require editing the registry. Do not be afraid to do this even though everyone will give you dire warnings about editing the registry. It's not difficult and most of the fixes posted on RELIABLE websites will walk you through the process step by step. It's a pain, but we've all been through it at one time or another.

Little Ms. Mitzi Mitts
    Our Photo Albums are
    Here and Here
    In memory of my beloved fur children, Goldie, Mishi and Mitzi.
    Rest in peace and play hard at the Rainbow Bridge.
    Goldie: 9/5/88 - 4/10/03
    Mishi: with us from 5/5/03 - 7/13/07
    Mitzi: with us from 4/19/03 - 1/23/10