Thread: Edward Snowden and Pet Talk... well Pal Talk

Edward Snowden and Pet Talk... well Pal Talk

When I saw the news and a list came up, I couldn't believe it! The list disappeared quite quickly, but I thought Pet Talk was on the list - it turned to be be Pal Talk. I need new glasses!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Wow, I see what you mean. Makes you look twice doesn't it?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

It might do the NSA folks good to browse this site and check out all the sweet animals! (The cats are the true subversives...)
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Uh-oh.. My e-mail accounts are on AOL. I guess those guys must be watching me closely. Boy, are my cats ever going to mystify them!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Wow,

Hi Leon, Mr Prez and the new guy, you know, the head of the spy factory.

Hi, No Such Agency peeps! I get a mental picture of the two characters in Independence Day as the alien looks at them afte they've uploaded the virus to the mother ship.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

I read a little Bio on this guy Snowden and noticed his meteoric rise in "Government Work". Seems awful fishy to me. He was hired as a
    security guard, then moved up to IT dept & worked for the CIA. Quite a quick success for a high school dropout isn't it? Hummm

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013...d-snowden?lite
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Not surprising at all, especially given his skill set and training.

Alphabet soup agencies dealing with datamining and hacking routinely go outside the normal loop for hiring. t's not abnormal for someone to be hired into a placeholder position such as a custodian and then moved into what they were really hired to do when their security clearances come through.

One of my friends growing up was a junior high dropout, hired by DEC as a security consultant at 14 years old.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Not surprising at all, especially given his skill set and training.

Alphabet soup agencies dealing with datamining and hacking routinely go outside the normal loop for hiring. t's not abnormal for someone to be hired into a placeholder position such as a custodian and then moved into what they were really hired to do when their security clearances come through.

One of my friends growing up was a junior high dropout, hired by DEC as a security consultant at 14 years old.

I see that you disagree, No surprise there. What "training" did he have for the job? Gov. agencies (in IT for example) rarely hire out of the private sector, it's
    generally the other way around. Government jobs are training fields for the private sector.

I think he might have had some good recommendations from somewhere.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Government jobs in IT aren't a training ground for the private sector, as government IT operations are normally 5-10 years behind private sector software and firmware versions due to contracting requirements. They used to be the source for private sector IT employees, but that has changed, and hasn't been the case for at least a decade.

The Government LAN operations are handled in house to a point, but the data transfer from the router in the building to the router at the other end goes through the TELCO cloud. Outsourcing is a wonderful thing, unless you give a damn about data security, which was lost in the tech transfers to China in the 1990s when Cisco and others got ITARS approval to give source code to China n exchange for the ability to set up cheap manufacturing facilities there. The Chinese don't need information from Mr. Snowden, they own the backbone. If you build the backbone of the internet, tapping data off of it is a cakewalk.

As to what training he had for the job, it doesn't take a degree to get network certifications. A book, a test, and you have your certificate.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Back in the day - when IT first started?

You had problems keeping a good IT person happy and 'with the company' for long.

Most of the hard core people were the nerdy, book people who had the apptitude for programming....Hell, I wrote queries and was a sys admin and I barely can keep my rear end clean.

I went to meetings and read the books.

I taught myself how to write reports and to use programs to extract info.

The Harder Core people were treated like royalty because they were able to keep a system up and running and they were always looking for a better job.

I didn't know who I was going to talk to when I called a help desk...people quit and newer faces came on board every week.

This guy was probably a self taught kid who impressed someone that had hiring rights.

-----------

I am amazed he gave up a stripper/poledancing GF, a huge paycheck and a life in Hawaii to get stuck in Russia?

Moron/