Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pets in a 10 Gallon?

Pets in a 10 Gallon?

Hey, I'm getting a 10 gallon aquarium from my sister's friend soon. I already have lots of fish, so I don't want to put any fish in the tank. I was thinking something more exotic...but no bugs. I don't want any type of rodent either. So, aside from fish, bugs, and rodents, what can I put in this tank?
    Sara

leopard gecko?
    Rainbowbridge- Tikeya 'forever loved'
    Owned By Luna, Prudence, and Raven

Thanks, yeah I was thinking of that, but I really like chameleons...and turtles. Would either of those work? (preferrably the chameleon!!)
    Sara

I've heard that chameleons are really hard to take care of because they need perfect climate and temeperature. They also need a close to perfect home to live in. I really don't think either, turtle or chameleons will live happy in a 10 gallon, though.
    Last edited by HollandLoppy89; 06-11-2005 at 10:42 AM.

THANKS SO MUCH BUTTERCUP!

No, neither chameleons nor turtles can live happily in a ten gallon tank.

I would suggest a pair of anoles (They change color), a leopard or fat-tail gecko, a Hognose snake, a Rosy Boa, a small species of swift or skink, or some species of small frog. (though, if you don't have experience with exotics, frogs can be difficult)

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Originally posted by CathyBogart
    No, neither chameleons nor turtles can live happily in a ten gallon tank.

I would suggest a pair of anoles (They change color), a leopard or fat-tail gecko, a Hognose snake, a Rosy Boa, a small species of swift or skink, or some species of small frog. (though, if you don't have experience with exotics, frogs can be difficult)
    I agree 100%.
    Chameleons cannot live in any size tank let alone a 10 gallon. Any turtle will need bigger than a 10 gallon too.

I would personally say a leopard gecko is the way to go.
    - Kari
    skin kids- Nathan, Topher, & Lilla

Hm, just did some research and I really like the Anoles and the Swifts. But I can't find any good larger pictures of swifts, so I can't really tell which I like better. Now, all I need to do is call or go to the pet stores, and if they have them...
    Sara

Originally posted by whalelover
    Hm, just did some research and I really like the Anoles and the Swifts. But I can't find any good larger pictures of swifts, so I can't really tell which I like better. Now, all I need to do is call or go to the pet stores, and if they have them...
    No, what you need to do is research them. Research them beyond the point of what they look like. Learn how to take care of them properly, what they eat, what's needed in their cage, etc etc. You can't just go "that animal is pretty, I want!" and expect him/her to live. Research facts, not just pictures.
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

Yes, that would be what I am doing. I haven't even gone to the store yet, and probibly won't be until this week. I am in the midst of doing research. I am not that stupid as to just say "I want!" and just go to the store and buy something. I always do research first.
    Sara

Okay. I have just done some more research, and I think that I would like to have an anole and a leopard gecko. I was reading on some threads on another forum that lots of people have done this and it has caused them no trouble. BUT, aren't anoles aboreal? And leopard geckos are terrestrial? So how would a setup work like that? Or is it just not worth it? Should I just get either anoles or geckos, not both?
    Sara

Anoles are tropical and leopard geckos are desert, so such an arrangement would be miserable for one or the other.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

What are you looking for in a pet? If you want something you can handle, anoles aren't appropriate. If you want an active animal that's out and about all the time, that's an anole. Leos are sedate, but they're also usually very friendly.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

Yeah, I think I've decided on a leopardl gecko, because I want something that's friendly and that I can handle, and from what I've read, Anoles don't like being handled. I've also never had a reptile before, and leopard geckos are supposed to be great for beginners. Their also inexpensive, so I think that's what I'll be getting.
    Thanks for the help.
    Sara

And it just so happens I have 3 Leopard Gecko hatchlings left for sale...

They are all female.
    Hatchling #3

Hatchling #4

Ume (Hatchling #1)

Ume and Hatchling 3 are $50.00
    Hatchling 4 is $40.00 because she has some (unnoticable) tail damage. She's the sweetest one of the bunch though - the others are a little jumpy...

They all come with a starter can of food (I raised them on canned crickets as food) and a 5x7" photo of them the day they hatched (for framing)

If you're interested, please let me know.
    Select * from breeders where clue > 0
    0 rows returned
    Cheerfully Childfree

How about some pretty little tree frogs? No bugs, awww.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton