Thread: Politics and religion.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    LOL, My dad used that saying. It translates as "Are we going by hand?" and loosely means we will walk hand in hand. Or, we are even and saying that takes the place of a handshake.

Nothing dirty!

A friend told me it meant " are we even?" or "we are even" I knew
    it wasn't dirty.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    A friend told me it meant " are we even?" or "we are even" I knew
    it wasn't dirty.
    You are taking all the fun out of it.

You ARE supposed to think it's dirty.

------------

And for that?

Bean dip for everyone!

I am not a financially astute person.

I do know that if I put money into an ATM, go to another ATM and take it out, that they are not the same bills I deposited earlier?

BO came out this morning an stated that large financial institutions will be fined for 10 years to recoup the money due to the citizens for the bailouts they were given.

SO, as a member of a financial inst. I will pay higher fees on my accounts, so the bank can collect THAT money, pay it back to the government.

Doe this mean I just have paid twice to bail out these morons?

Am I wrong? I know I am a simpleton when it comes to the real nuts and bolts of anything financial, but I think that is what is happening!

Someone?
    Please tell me I am wrong.

I will pay higher fees on my accounts,
    so the bank can collect THAT money, pay it back to the government.

Doe this mean I just have paid twice to bail out these morons?
    You're really paying THREE times ...

Don't forget you also pay the "Executive Branch" of the Government
    to dream up these deals!

Quote Originally Posted by Cinder & Smoke View Post
    You're really paying THREE times ...

Don't forget you also pay the "Executive Branch" of the Government
    to dream up these deals!

No bean dip for me.

One heck of a headline. LOL

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...en-update.html

And I quote:

Joe Biden update: He meets on transparency today. But the meeting is closed

You just can't make this stuff up.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...en-update.html

And I quote:

Joe Biden update: He meets on transparency today. But the meeting is closed

You just can't make this stuff up.
    LOL, What a "circularly random insemination"!

http://www.politicsdaily.com/2010/01...-from-obama%2F

GO BACK TO YOUR BOOKS, LITTLE ONES!

The prez is trying to get money back from the banks, he is busy.

The Odd Couple

From the NY Times -

An Odd Couple Defends Couples That Some (Oddly) Find Odd

By MAUREEN DOWD

SAN FRANCISCO

It has been quite a journey for Ted Olson. He’s gone from being the conservative lawyer who helped crown W. by winning the Bush v. Gore case before the Supreme Court, to being a lesbian.

“Maureen,” he told me in his gravelly voice, “one of the biggest lesbian groups in this country told me I’m already an honorary lesbian.”

Did it make you feel different, I wondered.

“I still like women very much,” he wryly replied, as his biking pal, liberal adversary and now co-counsel David Boies laughed, snacking on a crust of sourdough bread in their temporary office on Mission Street.

In 2000, Olson and Boies sparred with each other in Washington over which candidate would marry the country. Now they have joined forces here to spar with Prop 8 defenders over who can marry.

“Ted Olson and David Boies, so what are they up to?” Olson laughed, summarizing the confusion and conspiracy theories that their union inspired.

As the sun set on the Bay Bridge behind him and the curtain dropped on the first week of the dramatic trial to challenge the constitutionality of the state’s ban on same-sex marriage, Olson reviewed the case: “We’re going to explain why allowing same-sex couples to have that same right that the rest of us have is not going to hurt heterosexual marriages. It has no point at all except some people don’t want to recognize gays and lesbians as normal, as human beings.”

Boies, wearing a flag pin on his lapel, said that the state of California is engaged in “gay bashing.” He spoke intensely about the gay and lesbian plaintiffs, who offered poignant testimony about their loving relationships and about wanting to be liked and accepted: “These people are people you would want your child to grow up and marry. You can be a child molester and get married. You can be a wife beater and get married. You can be a child-support scofflaw and get married. The importance of that emotional relationship is so vital to the pursuit of happiness that even prison felons, who aren’t really procreating, have a right to get married.”

Noting the rabid effort being made to restrict marriage to only those who can protect its sanctity, a chuckling Olson reeled off some names: “Tiger Woods, Eliot Spitzer, Mark Sanford, Kobe Bryant, Bill Clinton.”

I asked Olson if he misted up, as many in the courtroom did, when Jeff Zarrillo, a 36-year-old manager at AMC Entertainment, testified that he loved his partner “probably more than I love myself.”

“Yes,” Olson replied, noting that he finds himself getting weepy a lot, including when a bright lawyer in his Washington law firm approached him in the library to tell him she was a lesbian mother of two and she was grateful to him.

“I think there’s something the matter with you if you don’t care enough to feel the suffering that they’ve been through and if you’re not emotionally upset about the fact that we’re doing an immense amount of harm to people,” he said. “We’re not treating them like Americans. We’re not treating them like citizens.”

Boies said the problem was generational, and they have to try the case before judges their own age who might find it hard to move beyond old prejudices. (Although this judge, a libertarian-tilting George H. W. Bush appointee, Vaughn Walker, who likes to hire magicians for the court’s annual dinner, has been so accommodating to their side that Ed Meese complained he was tilting the case.)

“I’ve got a grandson who’s a senior in college, and he can’t imagine fighting over this issue,” Boies said. “It’s like explaining to my daughter that there was a time when women didn’t have the right to vote and couldn’t own property.”

The anti-gay-marriage proponents whipped up a moral frenzy in 2008, suggesting conjugal parity would harm children, summon the devil, tear down churches and melt civilization. But Olson argued in his opening statement that the discrimination gays experience “weakens our moral fiber in this country.”

While Charles Cooper, the lawyer on the anti-gay-marriage side, cited President Obama’s declaration that marriage should only be between a man and a woman, Olson noted that Obama’s parents could not have married in Virginia before he was born.

I asked the lawyers if they were disappointed that the president who had once raised such hope in the gay community now seemed behind the curve.

“Damned right,” Boies snapped. “I hope my Democratic president will catch up to my conservative Republican co-counsel.”

Olson added: “I’m not talking about Obama, but that’s what’s so bad about politicians. They say, ‘I must hasten to follow them, for I am their leader.’”

Obama sees himself as such a huge change that he can be cautious about other societal changes. But what he doesn’t realize is that legalizing gay marriage is like electing a black president. Before you do it, it seems inconceivable. Once it’s done, you can’t remember what all the fuss was about.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    From the NY Times -
    Ever notice the pic of Maureen in the paper makes her look good, but when she goes on T.V., she's not all that?

Cant we get .gov out of the marriage business? No more treating married couples different from other couples or even single people. What happened to equal protection?
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

A Comparison of cultures?

Myleene Klass is said to be 'aghast' after receiving a police warning for using a kitchen knife to scare intruders at her Hertfordshire home. Photograph: Richard Saker

The TV presenter and Marks & Spencer model Myleene Klass has been warned by police for waving a knife at teenagers who were peering into a window of her house late at night.

Klass was in the kitchen with her daughter upstairs when she spotted the youths in her garden just after midnight on Friday. She grabbed a knife and banged the windows before they ran away.

Hertfordshire police warned her she should not have used a knife to scare off the youths because carrying an "offensive weapon", even in her own home, was illegal.

Klass's spokesman, Jonathan Shalit, said the former Hear'Say singer was "utterly terrified" by the intruders and "aghast" at the police warning. "All she did was scream loudly and wave the knife to try and frighten them off," he told the Sunday Telegraph. "She is not looking to be a vigilante, and has the utmost respect for the law, but when the police explained to her that even if you're at home alone and you have an intruder, you are not allowed to protect yourself, she was bemused."

The warning issued to the model comes after a pledge by the Conservative party last month that they would make it more difficult for people who tackle burglars to be prosecuted.

The shadow home secretary, Chris Grayling, spoke out after Munir Hussain was jailed for beating a man who tied up his family in their home. He and his brother used a cricket bat to beat one of the intruders, who was left with a permanent brain injury.

A spokeswoman for Hertfordshire police said no reference was made in the Klass incident report about a weapon. She said the incident was being treated as trespass and "words of advice were given in relation to ensuring suspicious behaviour is reported immediately".

Klass, whose fiance, Graham Quinn, was away on business at the time of the scare, plans to step up security at the property, near Potters Bar.
    guardian.co.uk © Guardian News and Media Limited 2010
    Link.

PALMVIEW — An 11-year-old boy shot a man who broke into his home north of the city early Friday.

Three men burst into the house near the intersection of Minnesota Road and 8 Mile Line just before 12:30 a.m., Hidalgo County sheriff’s deputies said.

The child and his mother were hiding in a bedroom when the gunmen tried to force their way in. One of the men shot through the door, striking the boy in the groin area.

The child, who was carrying a .22-caliber rifle, shot back, hitting one of the criminals in the neck. The men fled the scene shortly thereafter, investigators said.

Both the boy and the injured attacker remained hospitalized Friday afternoon. Authorities said the child was in stable condition and was expected to make a full recovery.

The wounded burglar was transferred to a San Antonio hospital under police guard.

Deputies have detained two other men believed to be involved in the attack.

____

Jeremy Roebuck covers courts and general assignments for The Monitor. You can reach him at (956) 683-4437.

____

The ‘Castle Law’ in Texas

Texas Senate Bill 378, which Republican Gov. Rick Perry signed into law March 27, 2007, extended a person’s right to use deadly force for self-defense beyond the home to vehicles and workplaces. The law took effect Sept. 1, 2007, and allows for the reasonable use of deadly force when an intruder is doing one or more of the following:

>> Committing certain violent crimes, such as murder or sexual assault, or is attempting to commit such crimes.

>> Unlawfully trying to enter a protected place.

>> Unlawfully trying to remove a person from a protected place.

The law also provides civil immunity for a person who lawfully uses deadly force in these circumstances. The use of deadly force is not lawful when it is used to provoke or if the victim commits a crime other than a Class C misdemeanor.

Source: Office of Gov. Rick Perry
    Link.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Hertfordshire police warned her she should not have used a knife to scare off the youths because carrying an "offensive weapon", even in her own home, was illegal.

So,
    Why not ban a fist as an 'offensive weapon', matches or lighters to keep arson down?

Wow,

So,
    Why not ban a fist as an 'offensive weapon', matches or lighters to keep arson down?

Wow,
    People who practice martial arts in the UK are the next to be registered and controlled, as weapons.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    People who practice martial arts in the UK are the next to be registered and controlled, as weapons.
    Have you seen Steve Seagal lately?

That dude practices eating now, no harm there.