Thread: "Whenever" and "Seen"

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    For instance, the sentence, "I do it all the time," is grammatically incorrect. Can you tell me why?
    "I do it all the time," is not incorrect, unless there's nothing after the comma and that needs to be a period.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Willow Oak View Post
    You are totally correct (as if you need my stamp of approval). However, I think that it is okay to "break" the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I do it all the time.

For instance, the sentence, "I do it all the time," is grammatically incorrect. Can you tell me why?
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    "I do it all the time," is not incorrect, unless there's nothing after the comma and that needs to be a period.
    In the above quote, I say "I think that it is okay to "break" the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I do it all the time."

The context makes what I wrote okay and understandable; but technically, "I do it all the time" is grammatically incorrect. One must not use a naked pronoun -- i. e., a pronoun without an antecedent; otherwise, how is the reader to know what "it" is? The most grammatically correct way to write would be:

"I think that it is okay to 'break' the rules of grammar in the instance of written literature if one is doing so for emphasis or to be poetic. I 'break' the rules of grammar all the time."