Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sno-cone Thursday #591.

Sno-cone Thursday #591.

During the summer months you hear a bell tinkle from up the street.

You grab the bills or coins you have stashed next to the door and head out for a MEXICAN SNO-CONE!!!!!

-----------

Orange Mango Raspado (Shaved Ice)

1/2 cup fresh orange juice concentrate
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 cups water
    2 fresh ripe mangos (peeled and flesh cut from the pit)
    Sweetened condensed milk (for garnish if desired)

In a medium sauce pan, bring sugar and water to a simmer. Cool and then add orange juice concentrate.

Puree syrup and mango in blender until smooth. Strain and pour mixture into a freezer proof dish.

Place mixture in freezer and freeze until set but not too hard. To serve, scrape the mixture with a spoon or heavy ice cream scoop and place in dessert dishes. Top with sweetened condensed milk if desired.

If Raspado is frozen too hard to scrape, leave in the fridge to thaw for a few hours.

-------------

Usually, the 'snow-cone' guy had a block of ice on his cart and he pulls out a hand ice shaver (raspador), he 'planes' off enough to fill the cup and then you can ask for whatever flavor you like.

Don't be fooled by the condensed milk added to some flavors.........

Done?

BTW, If you have kids or do large BBQs or gatherings, It's fun to get a block of ice, a raspador and make sno-cones for the party.....

I'm drinking lukewarm coffee right now, but I'll sit with you... Thank goodness it's Thursday!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Battling a nasty sinus infection, so I will take a frozen lemonade! It's annoying, but was inevitable when the pharmacy ran out of one of the components for my allergy meds, so I spent 3 days on just Sudafed, which barely dents it. Sigh.

We thankfully had a nice rainstorm today that cooled everything off.
    I've Been Frosted

Okay, just brewed a huge pitcher of Ginger Peach tea - with loose tea from my favorite tea place, Virtuous Teas*, although I never feel any more of less virtuous when drinking it!

Anyone want some? I am impatiently waiting for it to be cold enough to drink - it is good tea hot, fabulous iced, but lukewarm, eh - not so much!

* http://virtuousteas.com
    I've Been Frosted

That tea sounds good Karen. Maybe over an ice cube or two to speed the cooling.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    That tea sounds good Karen. Maybe over an ice cube or two to speed the cooling.
    It is finally cold enough, I will pour you a glass! When making it, I used all my ice cubes available, so had none left for the glass at the time!
    I've Been Frosted

Sorry.....

Can I do a refill for anyone?

I was looking at Kentucky Christmas trees in the back yard, The fire flies are out in force.

It's nice enough to make a fire, have a drink and roast a marshmallow or two?

Done!

I'll have another iced tea. Have never seen a fire fly.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Aw, Gayle - you don't have them where you are? We don't see them often in the city, but I love it when we do!

Experimental cookies on offer - chocolate with graham flour and mini marshmallow baked on top - anyone want some? An attempt at making S'more-ish cookies, but we'll see what the verdict is after folks try them (church folks are good guinea pigs for recipe experiments)!
    I've Been Frosted

The first time I saw a 'firefly' was on the Pirates of the Carribean ride at Disneyland.

--------------------------

You cue up to get into a car/boat and the area has/had these 'fireflies' moving about.

In reality, they are little light bulbs hung from the ceiling/walls - pretty disappointing.
    So, that was one of the things that was on my ever evolving 'bucket list'. To see REAL FFs in action.

The first few times are pretty spectacular, but a Kentucky Christmas Tree is the best.
    As it gets dark, you see little sparks of light rise up from the lawn and begin to light up a tree. There were a few hundred in the neighbor's
    tree - Just like a Christmas tree!

-----------------

Karen,
    I had to laugh at your 'experiment' comment.

My mom used to cook for a church group - she measured her success on how much food was left over....

I want coffee this morning, with a danish?

We got some 'futbol' on tap too!!!

Done!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Karen,
    I had to laugh at your 'experiment' comment.

My mom used to cook for a church group - she measured her success on how much food was left over....

I want coffee this morning, with a danish?

We got some 'futbol' on tap too!!!

Done!
    Well, these were deemed a success, on a beautiful day a lot of people didn't stay for fellowship afterwards, but there were only 3 cookies left, and I tried several different iterations, so know what the proper technique is! Anyone wants it, I'll write it down!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Well, these were deemed a success, on a beautiful day a lot of people didn't stay for fellowship afterwards, but there were only 3 cookies left, and I tried several different iterations, so know what the proper technique is! Anyone wants it, I'll write it down!
    I am always interested in baking recipes!

Done?

Yeay! I have a 4.0 in BS!
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    I am always interested in baking recipes!

Done?
    Okay -

Here they are - Chocolate Graham Yummies

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F

Cream together:
    2 sticks of butter
    3/4 cup sugar

Mix in:
    1 egg
    1 1/2 teaspoons vanila

until light and fluffy.

In a small bowl, mix or soft together:

3/4 cup white flour
    3/4 cup whole wheat flour (hence the "graham" in the title)
    5 tablespoons cocoa powder (1/4 cup plus 1 more)
    3 tablespoons cinnamon

1/4 teaspoon salt

Add this to the wet mixture, mix thoroughly. It makes a very soft dough, so throw it in the fridge for a few minutes to =harden up if necessary.

Form spoonfuls into 1" rough balls. Set on an ungreased baking sheet 2 inches apart, and into each one, push

1 mini marshmallow - only about halfway in, don't push hard.

Bake for 11 minutes, marshmallow should be lightly browned. LET COOL on the tray a couple minutes before moving to a cooling rack. Remove from the tray with a spatula, as they are soft when warm. (If you don't, they fall apart very easily.)

Cool, enjoy!

If you pushed one marshmallow in too far, and it basically all melts into the cookie, you can always put another one on top of that spot and rebake that cookie for 5-7 minutes, to brown the new one!

When cool, store in an airtight container, and they'll keep well. Dunno how long, they've never lasted long enough without getting eaten!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Yeay! I have a 4.0 in BS!
    Um, congrats?
    I've Been Frosted