Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can animals love their owners?

Can animals love their owners?

My Biology teacher, whom I don't have the greatest liking of, says that animals can't actually love their owners. This is her opinion, not a fact.. which to me her opinions mean nothing, since she always seems to think her opinions are factual.

Anyways, what do you think? Can animals love their owners?

In my opinion, I think they can. I think it's complete B.S. when she says they can't. I'm not sure about everyone else, but I can feel love between my dogs and I. And If it's not love, then I have no idea what it is.

If it's not love, what is it? What makes them wag their tail when I just quickly glance at them? What is it when I come home and their whole bodies are wiggling to see me. What is it when I cry and the come to comfort me?

Love.

To me it's pretty obvious she's never owned a dog. (she's allergic anyways)

Now, maybe a goldfish can't necessarily 'love' their owners -- but definitely cats, dogs, birds, rats.. and others.

That's my opinion..

What's yours?

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I believe they can. I think they show it by giving kisses, and by licking your tears away when you're crying.

I agree with you that that is BS.

Josie and I have a VERY strong bond (Not that I don't with Zeke, but it's a little different with Jo) Any time I am feeling down, she comes right up with me and cheers me up. She seems to know exactly when I need her as well. Same for her if she needs me. If she has an epileptic fit and she is down stairs, she will always come right to my room (even if someone else is downstairs)

Both dogs are extremely happy anytime I come homeas well. They rush to the door and flip out. Why would they now if they didn't care to see me? They're even overly happy just for a pat (esp Zeke ;D he loves to be snuggled) I just don't see how pets (especially dogs and cats) don't love their owners.

sorry my examples kinda sucked

My babies: Josie, Zeke, Kiba, Shadow (AKA Butter)

I have heard many behaviorists say that when you dogs lick you they are in on no way showing affection. They are showing submission or begging for food, or whatever.

I know I may not be educated in such matters, but when one of the dogs in playing, stops, runs across the room to give you a kiss, and goes back to what they are doing, I think they are showing affection. When you are petting then, and they turn and give you a kiss, I think they are saying thank you. And when theit whole bodies wag when you get ome, I think they are showing how happy they are to see you. If those aren't real emotions and real feelings, they are still good enough for me. And if that isn't true love, well then maybe true love isn't so important.

Absaloutly they DO.
    If you have an abused dog (i mean beaten etc) they owner appears, they either cower,growl,whine etc. No love there. or they cower and have a slight wag (as in i want to come and love you, but scared) this dog wants to love but is scared to for fear of being beaten.
    and then theres the PTers dogs who all seem to be MAD about us,lol whole but wiggles, kisses, etc dog's that go OTT loving.
    My dog loves
    Ky
    Ky = Me, Rio, the new addition Donnie and Tia (the fuzzy ferts) = My Love My Life My All.

Since I've been studying canine behavior for awhile, I've read all about how when dogs lick you, they are really showing submission. The leaders of the pack are always groomed and that is what your dog is doing, etc etc blah blah blah. HOWEVER, I choose to believe my dogs love me. Some may call me ignorant, but it sure is bliss
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Well maybe you should remind her of the dogs who have refused to leave their owners' gravesites, rain sleet or shine!

Or how about the dogs that go into a deep depression when they lose their owners?

You know there are so many people who believe it's impossible for animals to have feelings. Why on earth would they think that?

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

I'm not sure they conceptualize Love in the same way we do. And we humans, me most definitely included, have a tendency to put human emotions on certain dog behaviors that don't necessarily mean what we assign to them. The tail wagging has been mentioned as a sign of Love. Murph and Maddie's tails wag at everything, not just me. If they get a drink of water, their tail wags. My friend'll take her dog out to the park, run her ragged, then the dog zonks on the couch. Her sister will come home and the dog will stay sleeping on the couch, so she'll decide "Oh no, she's so sad". Uh no, she's tired.

But... On the day that Maddie died, I was working all day and didn't get home until late. I know that she held on for all she was worth, until I got home, so I could be with her when she went to the other side. I don't know maybe it's not Love, but it sure was an especially close bond. In doggy terms, maybe it even transcended Love. Guess it doesn't really matter if it was Love exactly. Boy, it was something incredibly special though.

Par...

.................................................. .................................................. ..... Nothin' Butt Dogs............ Free Dog eCards

Absolutely. Yes, they can.

If it is not love, I come up with the same questions as you, KayAnn. Why do they wag their tail when you just give them one look?

It's gotta be love.

I can feel the love when I just look at them, when I snuggle with them.

I could feel the love when Nelly was with us. He loved our whole family. Boy, did I wish he would have had his wings clipped, but it was nice to know that he LOVED us enough to come out from eating his food to *fly* across the room while we were watching TV. I don't watch much TV anymore, because I can't feel the *LOVE* from him.

So, my final answer, of course, is that if someone says pets cannot love their owners, that is BS.

Of Course animals can love there owners! Thats how realtionships form. Why do we see dogs, wagging their tails, kissing, there owners when they get home? Because they love them. If they didn't they would just do nothing.

I even felt love with my hamsters. small animals, with a teeny brains, hey, still it's love!

When a person dies, that a pet was close to don't they feel grief? Because they loved that person.

I know Katie did with my Grandpa

Two words:

OF COURSE!
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I know my animals love me. They show it in many ways. If I'm gone for a few days, it is unbelievable how happy they are when they come back. In fact, I feel more love and respect from my pets then my human friends and family. hehe

Thank you Wolfie!

Re: Can animals love their owners?

If the affections that my dogs show me
    aint love than What do you call love?

How ever it is defined I will say it's love.

----<---<--<{(@

Originally posted by aly
    Since I've been studying canine behavior for awhile, I've read all about how when dogs lick you, they are really showing submission. The leaders of the pack are always groomed and that is what your dog is doing, etc etc blah blah blah. HOWEVER, I choose to believe my dogs love me. Some may call me ignorant, but it sure is bliss
    I'll be ignorant with you!!!!!!
    I've read that as well, but I choose to believe otherwise.
    Of course, I do have one dog who is very stingy with the kisses, so much that I have to smear cream cheese or something equally yummy to him on my face just to get a kiss--do I do it? Sometimes!!
    Call me nuts, but I believe all of my dogs love me.
    Emily, Kito, Abbey, Riley, and Jada

I believe that pets can love their owners. I also think that science cannot "prove" love in humans, how do they expect to scientifically "prove" it in humans??? They are admitting more and more that animals feel emotion. And if they choose not to call the strong bond between an animal and its human "love," well, that's their choice. I know what love is, and that's it!