Thread: Politics and religion.

Hybrid View

Last year, after her district turned up under crosshairs on Sarah Palin's "Take Back the 20" map, a chart of congressional districts whose congresspeople voted for health care reform, Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords gave an interview to MSNBC. Today, sadly, her words from that interview are terrifyingly prescient:

We need to realize that the rhetoric, and the firing people up and ... for example, we're on Sarah Palin's targeted list, but the thing is, the way she has it depicted, we're in the crosshairs of a gun sight over our district. When people do that, they've got to realize that there are consequences to that action...
    source

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Super. Now you can start the "Its all Palin's fault" and maybe leave ol' George alone.

Really? This is what we are coming to in this country?

Signed,
    "The Enemy"
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

Quote Originally Posted by Puckstop31 View Post
    Super. Now you can start the "Its all Palin's fault" and maybe leave ol' George alone.
    I never said anything of the sort, and you know it. I posted an article and then a quote. I provided the links. If you choose to attribute the thoughts in these articles to me, or anyone else on this board, you are way out of line.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I never said anything of the sort, and you know it. I posted an article and then a quote. I provided the links. If you choose to attribute the thoughts in these articles to me, or anyone else on this board, you are way out of line.
    Given the current context of the thread.... If you intent was not to 'blame' Mrs. Palin ( or Glenn Beck, Rush Limbaugh, etc...) for this violence, what was the reason for sharing it?

Like you said, words matter, but the mindset of the reader matters too. A map with crosshairs on it can mean a lot of things to a lot of people. Sane people will read it one way and a insane person.... Who knows how they will read it? Do we all need to be careful as to not 'say' things so as to not motivate a crazy person to be...crazy? HOW do we do that?

What I am trying to get at it is lets not start making excuses for this guy already, or help the media turn this into a reason to force us apart.
    "Unlike most of you, I am not a nut."

- Homer Simpson

"If the enemy opens the door, you must race in."

- Sun Tzu - Art of War

The victims in Tucson

20 people were shot; 6 have died.

Gabe Zimmerman, 30, Giffords community outreach director. He was recently engaged.

John Roll, 63, the chief judge for the District of Arizona,

Christina Taylor Green,9. Here is an article about her from the Washington Post.

Dorwin Stoddard, 76.

Dorthy Murray, 76.

Phyllis Scheck, 79.