Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental care

Dental care

Beethoven has just had her teeth cleaned by our vet today. I was just wondering if it is really important for doggies to have their teeth cleaned? Does this have to be done by vets or we have the option of cleaning their teeth by ourselves? If so, how do I have to go about it? Does anybody else here gone to their vets to have their dogs' teeth cleaned?

sorry for the too many questions!?! im just confused Thanks
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

I know they have doggie toothepaste and toothbrushed you can buy... i dont brush Simba's all that much but we have the toothpaste

Netherlands (where I'm from) & Germany (where I live)
    I brush Cookie's teeth every 2 or 3 days with special doggy toothpaste and vinger toothbrush (for dogs).

Just like in humans, keeping the dogs teeth clean is important. The tarter and plaque that build up can actually cause other health problems.

I do preventive cleaning on both my dogs. I have a finger toothbrush I use on them with doggie toothpaste when it's needed. They chew vigorously on bones and nylabones which helps keep their teeth clean too. By keeping up on it at home, I hope to prevent them from going to the vet to get them cleaned. The vet has to put them to sleep and I think doing it myself is much more preferrable. If it gets real bad though the vet is the only option.

I agree with Dixie, I really don't like to take my dogs to the Vet to have it done, mainly I don't want them to be put to sleep, we also have a finger brush, toothbrushes, and clean wipes that we use and of course toothpaste. We do it about twice a week.
    We learned the hard way with our Kona, who lost most of her teeth, had many health problems and passed away at 15.
    Jackie

Originally posted by jackiesdaisy1935
    I agree with Dixie, I really don't like to take my dogs to the Vet to have it done, mainly I don't want them to be put to sleep...
    yeah, that's my problem too at first, however, the vet said that Beethoven doesn't need to be put to sleep if she would stay still through the whole procedure and don't bite. And to my SURPRISE, she did, so she wasn't put to sleep.

uhmm, may i ask, what's a finger toothbrush?!?
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

Petsmart carries them, they are a little finger rubber glove with sort of bristles on it and you put it on your finger and clean their teeth with it.
    Jackie

Type of food, real bones, and the denta-bone type chew bones all can help in cleaning teeth. I try to brush Sadie's teeth as often as I can because it is very important. She uses poultry flavor toothpaste and does like the taste. We use a brush and the rubber finger thing - the finger thing works great, easy to use on a dog who isn't thrilled about the experience.

I'd rather not go to the vet since I can't really afford it, and if putting the dog to sleep was involved forget it! It really isn't that difficult at home.

I got my brush kit from my vet but I've seen them in most pet stores.

Just HOW DO YOU solve a problem like Maria?
    I brush my dogs teeth, Smudge is a lot better about it then Winter is though. With Winter I have to just put some of the stuff that I use on my finger and rub it on her teeth and gums...I don't use toothpaste, I have some but I don't use it. I use this oral care stuff from a company called oxy fresh, it stinks to high heaven but the dogs seem to like it. I also have this three sided toothbrush that I use on Smudge that way it gets the inside the top and the outside of his teeth at once, but I'm gonna have to get a finger brush with Winter because she has some mild tartar build up...but only very mild.

regular dental care is important. as our dogs live longer they start suffering (kind of like us) life style diseases. dental decay or heavy tarter build up for example can lead to broken teeth or infected gums not to mention horrible breath. the infection can spread through their systems. i have read that dental problems can result in other serious health problems(and i'm sorry i can't cite the references).
    2 years ago, i noticed alex rubbing his left face side off and on for a few days, checked his skin and inside his cheek and saw nothing. he was already booked for a dental cleaning, i was very very surprised when my vet called me and said the tech had discovered while cleaning alexs' teeth that one of his top molars was cracked and bleeding. he had it pulled then. that tooth must have been hurting for awhile. so alex will get regular dental care, from me at home with a finger toothbrush & dog toothpaste (human toothpaste isn't good for dogs) and from the vet. hope this helps.
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Ellensy, I agree with what everyone has already said. Drake gets his teeth brushed everyother day. I use the finger brush and the toothpaste (he loves that toothpaste). In between brushings, I use the wipes. Drake also has lots of chew toys and they help keep his teeth clean. Once a month, Draker gets a knuckle and that thing works likes magic!

I would much rather take a few minutes out of my day to care for his teeth than take him to the vet. The procedure isn't all that expensive but Drake hates to go to the vet and I do not want to have them put him to sleep while they work on him .

If your dogs teeth need cleaning, try a good chew toy or a knuckle and see if that helps. If it does, then continue by brushing on a regular basis to prevent tartar and plaque build up!

i just have a bit of problem here, maybe i can go and buy my doggies the chew toys, but as I can remember, I stopped buying them chew toys because they don't like 'em and they don't even play with them, why's that? and here in our country, i really has a problem with finding the toothbrush and the toothpaste...the truth is i haven't seen one. Stores here just sell gel stuffs that they say can clean dog's teeth. Can't i use small human toothbrush? and uhmm, can you pls. give me some names of toothpaste so that I can ask around. thanks.
    ~eLLeN~

Perhaps they didn't want the chew toys coz it lacked flavor. If you can find a knuckle, I can guarantee that your dog will love it. It is very tatsy (Drake thinks it is!)

You can use a tooth brush but be sure that it has very soft bristles. Like a children's soft toothbrush. Be sure that you do not brush too hard. You do not want to cause his gums to bleed. I have also seen people use gauze pads. You take a square gauze pad, wrap it around your finger and rub it in their teeth.

As for the toothpaste. DO NOT USE HUMAN TOOTHPASTE, BAKING SODA, AND SALT! Many dogs don't like the foaming action these give, and they may upset their digestive systems.

Do you have a local pet store around? You can find toothpaste there. Your Vet will also be able to tell you where you can get some or may even have some at the office!

DoggiesAreTheBest, thanks for your advice.
    ~eLLeN~

Probably another good reason to do it yourself is so that they remember "who's the boss"!! I don't do it..... , but I probably should think about starting. I don't have a dominance problem with either dog, but I do want their teeth to be healthy.