Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Christmas present for the person who has everything!

Christmas present for the person who has everything!

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/hts.../20081106.aspx

Demilitarized Boats For Sale, Cheap
    November 6, 2008: Shopping for a unique holiday gift? How about a submarine. There are several Whiskey Class Soviet subs available. Decommissioned in 1991, and built in the 1950s, these boats have sound hulls and are insurable. The price is right; $497,000 (delivery extra). Additional details at http://www.projectboats.com/whiskeysub.html. Discounts are available if you buy more than one.

The Whiskey class boats are basically modified versions of the German Type XXI U-boats. The German subs were 1,600 ton craft, and actually more capable than the 1,100 ton Whiskeys. But that's because the Russians just wanted a good, basic diesel-electric submarine for post World War II use. They got it with the Whiskey, and built 236 of them.

The Whiskeys offered here are demilitarized (torpedo tubes sealed and torpedo handling gear removed, along with other military equipment.) That leaves a lot of room for entertaining. Normally, a crew of 54 runs a Whiskey class boat, but about half as many would be required for a civilian version. While it is possible to refurbish a Whiskey as a pleasure craft, you would still end up with a boat that provided a rough ride on the surface. Running submerged gets old real quick. Perhaps you could just tie it up at a dock, gut the interior, and turn it into a party room.

Not much chance of criminals buying one of these for use as a smuggling craft. The Whiskeys are notoriously noisy and easy for warships and anti-submarine aircraft to detect.

Just what you always wanted!
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Please don't tell my husband. We have enough rusting junk.

If I had tons of extra money laying around I probably would buy that. That's a great bit of history to own.

Niņo & Eliza

Dear Santa?

Actually the Whiskey may be a good buy. God knows they built K.I.S.S. machinery. You could park it under a tree and spend a Saturday to fix it!

I wonder how many US Navy boats you would have chasing your tail if you came near a military base in one of these...

Quote Originally Posted by Reggie View Post
    I wonder how many US Navy boats you would have chasing your tail if you came near a military base in one of these...
    I swear sir, we were just having a party! Couldn't you hear the conga music from a mile away?

Umm want a drink?

Only you Goofy would think of the relaxation of this..
    Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Dear Santa?

Actually the Whiskey may be a good buy. God knows they built K.I.S.S. machinery. You could park it under a tree and spend a Saturday to fix it!

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Dear Santa?

Ok so it's not quite a tank, but it does have tracks, and you can go fishing in it!!!

Here's a video of the thing in action and it's FAST!

http://www.engadget.com/2007/02/28/f...of-of-concept/

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022

richard!!! richard!!! (jumping up and down, waving hands!!!)
    aw man, i want one! long have i had the fantasy of getting on the highway, and just tooling down the road, rotating the turrent to point at a selfish rude driver.....sigh....
    Last edited by joycenalex; 11-11-2008 at 05:15 AM. Reason: lousy spelling
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Hitting the bilge pumps is a more effective reminder.

THe hull of an APC is normally full of hydraulic fluid and antifreeze........not nice to paint jobs.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

LH, i have a section of the columbus 270 freeway that is a particular irritation to me, just the sheer thought of tooling alone in a "bluff vehicle" will keep me smiling all the way into work today. ( my work site is being moved on 1/5/2009, so i'll have a longer commute and i'll have to be more patient daily)
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

When I worked in L.A. it would take me 40 minutes to drive the 16 miles to get home. The day before Thanksgiving it took me two hours.

With an APC I could charge people to carpool with me-new stereo, captain's chairs and I get to play monster truck on the way home.

Richard, funny thing about stereos in an APC:

I drove the command track for the unit I was with in Germany. Being the good commo geek that I was, I had the thing wired for a stereo in short order, but the only way to hear it over the roar of the engine was to pipe it in through the vehicle crewmen's helmets.

There's a switch on the side of the helmet, one way you just talk to the other crewmembers, the other way anything over the audio circuit in the track gets broadcast over the 'net.

On a convoy I flipped the switch to broadcast to music rest of the company.......

And forgot I had the set switched to the battalion command net.

The BN commander was NOT impressed.......but the rest of the BN had a heck of a time.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    The BN commander was NOT impressed.......but the rest of the BN had a heck of a time.
    Fawsome!!
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

english? commo geek= commander geek BN=batallion.....and i still want either one of those for eastsife of 270 in july during rush hour...sigh, such a dream....
    oh yeah and how do you divvy up the music choices? i'm having a hard time imagining gilbert and sullivan, but more ....rap and thrash and head banger, and never john tesh