Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I'm so MAD at my VET I am just shaking!!!!!!

I'm so MAD at my VET I am just shaking!!!!!!

I adopted Aspen (see picture below) from the shelter on Saturday (6 days ago). She had already been returned to the shelter 3-4 times. The first few times were through no fault of her own (divorce, moving, etc.) and the last time, the person who returned her said "She got into the trash a lot" and "She couldn't be left alone in the house because she chewed stuff up."

The last family only kept Aspen for one month and she's emaciated and had a terrible ear infection when I brought her home. She shows signs of having been physically abused, but I have left her alone in the house for 3-4 hours at a time and she has never touched a thing. The trash has never been overturned. She's an excellent, well-mannered, quiet, loveable dog.

She let me treat her ears, cut her toenails,etc. without so much as a whine. She's probably the most well-behaved dog I have ever met.

As soon as the vet came in she started treating me like I was ignorant trash. She acted like every question I asked her was stupid. She said "You know this dog has been returned to the pound more than once. That's a bad sign. You're inheriting somebody else's behavioral problems." I tried to tell her that Aspen was a very well-behaved dog, but she wouldn't listen.

If I was reduced to skin and bones over the period of a month, I would be chewing on things and getting into the garbage too! She was STARVING, for crying out loud!!!

Then the vet said "She's awfully ribby. She probably has worms. I'd like to do a stool sample." I hesitated for a second - the woman had been insulting me and treating my dog like garbage and for some reason I was surprised when she mentioned "worms". She sneered at me and said "What - do you want to bring worms home to Max?" I said "Of course not," and she collected the stool sample.

When I left the office, I was almost in tears. Then to top it all off, when I was leaving, I backed into the witch's freshly-washed and immaculately-waxed Lexus.

I left two tiny scratches which could easily be buffed out.

When I went back inside to tell her about she made a big stinking hairy deal about it. she said "That's the THIRD time in six months somebody has backed into me while I was parked there!"

Well - she shouldn't freaking' be parked there!!!!! It wasn't a parking space and her car was sticking way out in the middle of the aisle where it would be a miracle if it wasn't hit!

So of course she called the police and a report had to be filed and the whole nine yards.

GRRRRRR!

This vet costs literally three times as much as another vet I would prefer to use, but she's closer so I decided to keep going to her in case there was an emergency and I needed to get help fast. I've been using her for eight years - I've probably paid for 20% of that stinkin' Lexus.

OH - AND GUESS WHAT ELSE????? While we were in her office, the receptionist realized that Aspen's last owner is a client. Her owner told them Aspen was dead, instead of admitting she turned her in to the pound.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

Sounds to me like it's time to get another vet. I would never put up with that. I have two pound pups that did have issues but they are the best.

OMG how awful! I feel bad for you! What a stinking witch! I would switch vets for sure!
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

I'd be switching to the other vet. If a big emergency comes up, you can always still call the closer one if you really want to.

BTW, Aspen is adorable! She's lucky to have found you.

One of my dogs was starved too. I think dogs can overcome alot of things, but I don't think they ever forget being hungry. I know Kayleigh hasn't!
    Last edited by Glacier; 03-04-2005 at 05:32 PM.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

Why have you wasted 8 years with that sorry excuse for a vet?? I would let the BBB know about her and if there was an association for vets, make a complaint IN WRITING! She sounds like a horrible person, much less a vet. I would drive 30 minutes before I'd keep her as a vet. Poor Aspen. Give her lots of luvin from me. Also, I cannot believe that about the previous "owner". They should be ashamed, as well. I wish someone else would do massive damage to her Lexus. Want me to bring my old, beatup pickup there for a smash up derby?

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06

I was thinking the same thing. Don't take it anymore. Complain about her and find yourself a new vet!

yikes, I knew there was a reason we drive to the other side of the city for our vet and refuse to see any of the other vets in the office unless its an absolute emergency, when there are plenty of clinics much closer to us. I would find a new vet, and sabatage her lexus lol
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

ggrrr, she sounds like a right know it all! i hate people like that.

OH - AND GUESS WHAT ELSE????? While we were in her office, the receptionist realized that Aspen's last owner is a client. Her owner told them Aspen was dead, instead of admitting she turned her in to the pound.
    people are sick.

Glacier, it's the saddest thing - isn't it? It's like starving a 2-year-old child. They're so trusting and sweet. Why would you want to do something like that?

Val - I think it is time for the smash-up derby. And by the way - I already DO drive 30 miles to get to her! I'll be driving 60 miles for the new vet but it will be worth it.

She wasn't always so mean. I think she's mad at me for rehoming Tony and Chloe (my mom's chihuahuas - remember them?) Chloe was only 3 lbs and Tony was 3.5 lbs. I live way out in the middle of nowhere. They could have been snatched up by hawks - even though I kept them confined. Plus Max is kind of a clutz and if he'd stepped on them he would have broken bones.

I kept them for about 8 months, I think,then I found a wonderful home for Tony (he's working as a therapy dog 3 days a week now, too!). Then I called my vet's office and asked if they knew anybody who would be good for Chloe. I explained that I didn't want to put up any ads or anything because they were very valuable dogs (Chloe was worth $800 and Tony around $500) and I didn't want somebody to adopt them and then just turn around and sell them. I wanted somebody my vet was familiar with and I didn't charge her, of course.

Her vet tech. took Chloe and now she has a very good home, but I think they got the wrong idea about me - like I was the sort of person to just throw dogs away or something. I'm not like that at all! Our home is simply not the right environment for such fragile dogs.

When I saw the vet tech today, she said Chloe is afraid of men - like she thinks somebody abused her or something. My soon-to-be ex husband was the only man she was exposed to and even though he can be a real SOB, he would never hurt an animal in a million years.

That is awful, i think i am as mad as you are!!!
    I would take her somewhere else, in fact i probably would have just walked out of there in the middle of her saying things like that.
    That is too bad that you hit her car, but sounds like she deserves it(haha)
    She doesnt sound like a very caring vet, and Aspens previous owners should be ashamed of themselves!

Even if they are upset with you for rehomeing those dogs, it's really none of their business and it's very unprofessional to treat you like that because of their own personal feelings. I would complain about her to the vet association too. I'm not afriad to ram things with my car, just point me in the right direction, I have insurance.
    Love is Adoptable. Adopt a Pit Bull.

Don't Breed or Buy While Shelter Animals Die.

If Pit Bulls are outlawed, only outlaws will have Pit Bulls.

Originally posted by Pit Chick
    . I'm not afriad to ram things with my car, just point me in the right direction, I have insurance.
    I probably should have backed into it a few more times - the result would have been the same. It went on my insurance the same as if it had been severe damage, I'm sure.

I had an experience like that, but not as bad as yours. I had a veiled chameleon that I was treating with antibiotic shots, but the poor guy was getting worse. Instead of letting him starve I decided to take him to the vet (not the exotic vet I take my birds to) to be put down. Anyway, the doctor was writing down all my info and I had Frank (the chameleon) in a towel on the examining table. She flipped her hand and the towel went flying across the table. I was super mad and just remembering it I'm still mad! I jumped up off my chair and grabbed him and started petting him and seeing if he was ok. I hope that witch got the message!

Anyway, I would go to the other vet if I was you. You don't need to be dealing with a vet that treats their career like a job. Come on, she's not washing cars, she's taking car of living things and she should be more compassionate. (I'm not saying there is anything bad about having a job where you wash cars. Just that living things need more compassion than cars/objects). When I have a bad day maybe a few invoices have errors or something like that, but if I was a vet I would treat every patient like gold! I’m sorry for being so mad, but that is ridiculous. Plus, who cares that the dog was returned so many times! Would that vet rather have the dog put down!?!
    Billy and Willy! (2 of my 4)

Sounds like time for a new vet. Too bad she wasn't in her car when you hit it. Aspen is a beauty!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I'm speechless and like you, I would be shaking! She dares to call herself a vet? Well, maybe a technician would be a more appropriate title She was cruel, judgemental and just plain stupid! Instead of congratulating you, being supportive, offering advice, she was discouraging and dismissive! This woman MUST have recognized Aspen if she was at one time her client's dog. Perhaps she could have more appropriately asserted her veterinary judgements by filing a complaint against the client who neglected this poor, helpless pup to begin with And to think YOU had the concscience and courtesy to go in and report hitting her car. This is the kind of person I pray will ond day find their way to my stretcher in the recovery in SEVERE pain, frightened and in tears, begging for some relief. "Gee, sorry, I'm a little busy right now."

Definitely, find a vet with a kind and caring heart, somene who will listen to you and treat you and Aspen with respect! You and Aspen deserve nothing less! BIG hugs to beautiful Aspen and to you, for finally being the one person she can count on! What a wonderful mom you are!
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 03-04-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~