Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spring ahead thursday, #575!

Spring ahead thursday, #575!

IT's time to do the DayLight Savings thing!!!!

Time to change the clocks and all the batteries in you smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors too.

Since it's a crazy, early time change, how's about a breakfast buffet - for those who have to wake up early on MOnday..

Corned beef hash, pigs in a blanket, eggs/omelets, sausage, bacon, bagels, lox, coffee, tea, milk, OJ - the drink - not the football player, and some rye bread?

Done!

I'm so excited about DST. It means Spring is right around the corner. Yipee!!!!

Breakfast??? You bet. Hey Richard, how about some biscuits and gravy. We can't get that up here, and did ya hear??? Our liquor laws are changing and by Summer, we can purchase wine, beer and spirits in grocery stores. Finally we are catching up.

Yup.....bread, eggs, milk, vodka.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    I'm so excited about DST. It means Spring is right around the corner. Yipee!!!!

Breakfast??? You bet. Hey Richard, how about some biscuits and gravy. We can't get that up here, and did ya hear??? Our liquor laws are changing and by Summer, we can purchase wine, beer and spirits in grocery stores. Finally we are catching up.

Yup.....bread, eggs, milk, vodka.
    Do you have room for me, Doris, tuck and the edster?

We have some bizarre booze laws here.....no hard liquor in the stores and some pharmacies sell.
    You cannot by booze on a election day until 6 p.m. and there is one boubon distillery that operates in a no-booze county.
    Done!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    Do you have room for me, Doris, tuck and the edster?

We have some bizarre booze laws here.....no hard liquor in the stores and some pharmacies sell.
    You cannot by booze on a election day until 6 p.m. and there is one boubon distillery that operates in a no-booze county.
    Done!
    I thought last week was daylight savings time, but seeing as I rely on my computer and related devices for the time, know they change automatically! Our smoke detector beeps if the battery gets too low, thank goodness Paul has sound-location ability, or I'd not have figured out from where the beep was coming!
    I've Been Frosted

That sounds like a really nice breakfast. Coffee with Bailey's would go really well with it. Sometimes I spike French toast mix with Bailey's...yum!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    That sounds like a really nice breakfast. Coffee with Bailey's would go really well with it. Sometimes I spike French toast mix with Bailey's...yum!
    Nothing wrong with that!!

Done and Done!

In honour of Mz Gini and Easter:
    http://foodiesnetwork.tv/15-minute-sunflower-peep-cake/

Our weather on the news for this weekend has been described as "a soaker". Hmmm, rain...who would have thunk?? Wet Coast indeed.

A spanish coffee please barkeep. Hey, what ever happened to LOK???
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

--Polar Express

Finally a break from the deep freeze. Great morning for a run. Got the smoothie maker going. Lots of frozen blue berries and raspberries. Anyone?
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Hello from sunny Utah! How about creamed chipped beef and a bloody Mary (obviously not a ski day)?
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

PM: What the heck is "creamed chipped beef"?????
    --unknown

--Polar Express

PM: What the heck is "creamed chipped beef"?????
    Oh, Slick, have you never heard of it?

A white sauce - now referred to as Bechamel - with flaked pieces of dried beef - theoretically available at the meat counter. We had this sometimes as kids, though I never heard of it in the other term* until I was older!

(Google it, and you'll see SOS)
    I've Been Frosted

In honour of Mz Gini and Easter:
    http://foodiesnetwork.tv/15-minute-sunflower-peep-cake/

Our weather on the news for this weekend has been described as "a soaker". Hmmm, rain...who would have thunk?? Wet Coast indeed.

A spanish coffee please barkeep. Hey, what ever happened to LOK???
    Un cafe espanol.......The LOK is lurking about, let me check the L&F? Oh my goodness, CCB is really good!!!!

Done!

QoP, I'll trade a smoothie for a plate of brekkie?

DONE?

Hi PM.
    I'll mix up a BM if you serve?

karen,
    The guy across the street fought in Korea and he mentioned SOS to us once. We giggled about it and then I started to hear the term more and more connected with school cafeteria food........

Too funny.

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    karen,
    The guy across the street fought in Korea and he mentioned SOS to us once. We giggled about it and then I started to hear the term more and more connected with school cafeteria food........

Too funny.
    Ayup, Dad was in Korea, and that's where he heard that term, too. The quality of the beef certainly makes a difference!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Ayup, Dad was in Korea, and that's where he heard that term, too. The quality of the beef certainly makes a difference!
    Well, now to find out if it started there.

I had heard a 'square meal' referred the dishes sailors used in the old days. When they has a mess call, a full ration covered the square dish they used - so that term came to represent a 'full' meal.

So I wonder if the plate came to be called a shingle?

My dad had an old vaudeville joke: "When I was a kid we ate round steak because we couldn't afford a square meal."

The origin of that saying is really interesting, RICHARD. I didn't know that.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda