Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
As to seeing the other side of the argument, I see it, but reject the logic behind it. Relying on someone else to take care of issues just isn't something I'm inclined to do, particularly when the clean up crew is 1/2 hour away.

Congratulations on the record of being a victim, not sure how it's material ot this discussion, but it does clearly show you as someone who's more prone to relying on others for your security. After the first incident I'd have done something to prevent the others, but you're obviously of a different mindset.
And there is where your so-called logic fails. In none of those situations would a gun have been of any use to me.

Muggers do not walk up to you and announce..."Madame, I am about to mug you so please prepare your weapon." It happens so fast. My friend who was with me and on the pay phone (pre-cell phone ubiquity) did not even see it. Had I a gun in my purse - there would have been an armed mugger afterwards.

My car? - I do not spend all night sitting outside guarding my car with a loaded gun. That's how it is when you park on a city street.

The buglary? The police believed it was my landlord - a pot smoking idiot who was angry that I was moving out. As I sleep through the whole event - assuming that is when it happened, what good would a gun have done?

And I would not think any of those situations warranted the death sentence. Rambo wannabes who fancy themselves precision sharpshooter have watched wwwwaaayyy too many movies!

Instead of a gun...I learned to be more alert about my surroundings...more careful about where I go, more sure to park my car where I should, have better locks on my doors. I got smarter. As any cop will tell you - avoiding dangerous situations is far better than being armed.

Relying on other people. I don't think so! I preferred to rely on my own good sense rather than an inanimate object.

By the way....

I do hope you will get the Pope straightened out on his misunderstanding of the Ten Commandments!