Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pregnant?

Pregnant?

I adopted a cat from the local humane society almost a year ago. They told me that they would have to keep her for 2 weeks before taking her home so they could fix her. I got her two days later because she already had the surgery. Since then, she's been going into heat...and now I believe she's pregnant. She was always skinny, no matter how much food she ate, but recently, she's gotten really fat. Her stomach is hard, but I can't feel any bumps in it yet. Is there a possibility that she could be pregnant?

And can I have the humane society compensate me for the kittens vet bills if she is, because they made the mistake?
    Owned by Titus, Bob, Alice, Trixie, Honey, Chesterfield, Al, Oreo, Dave, Ed, and Tyr!
    In two short months I will have my dream horse, Cesar!

I don't know whether the Humane Society lied to you, or something else is going on, but I hope the cat is healthy. Getting her two days after surgery seems a bit hasty. Take a look at this link:

http://cats.about.com/od/catcare/u/CatBasics.htm#s5

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

No no...they said that she didn't need the surgery because she was already fixed. Hence the reason I got to take her. But she wasn't...as far as i can tell.
    Owned by Titus, Bob, Alice, Trixie, Honey, Chesterfield, Al, Oreo, Dave, Ed, and Tyr!

A quick trip to the vet, I think - if the Humane Society has a vet, make an appointment with that one.

Yikes.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    A quick trip to the vet, I think - if the Humane Society has a vet, make an appointment with that one.

Yikes.
    I agree. If she is pregnant it's their mistake and you should be compensated in some way. If she isn't then there could be some other medical reason for her condition. So she's an indoor/outdoor cat then?

I hope they'll compensate me. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow about it. She's an indoor cat, and my male isn't fixed. So I assumed when we got her, it would be okay to have the two together. I mean...you can't get pregnant if your infertile...Even if the male is in tact.... Guess not.

Quote Originally Posted by Addie View Post
    I hope they'll compensate me. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow about it. She's an indoor cat, and my male isn't fixed. So I assumed when we got her, it would be okay to have the two together. I mean...you can't get pregnant if your infertile...Even if the male is in tact.... Guess not.
    You should also look into getting your male cat fixed. I'm surprised that you haven't run into any spraying issues with him trying to mark things. Good luck with everything.

I also believe that if it was their blunder, that they should pick up the tab AND find homes for the kittens. I like surprizes, I don't like being blindsided, and I think that's what they did. Stand your ground.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Finding homes for the kittens isn't a problem at all. I'll end up keeping one I'm sure. I never thought I would have to get Landon fixed...he never sprayed or anything. I contacted them today and asked me a bunch of questions...but I think they realize that they made the mistake. I hope they'll help me out.

There are other reasons to get a male cat altered. Mistakes happen, doors get left open, windows break, etc.

The best reason to have ALL cats altered? Then you don't ever have to think YOU are the reason cats and kittens are euthanized every single hour in the US. You know you are doing your part.

Please get your male altered. For HIS health and safety, and for all of the cats/kittens that get euth'd every hour.

I understand the neutering. Currently though, It's not my biggest issue

Quote Originally Posted by Addie View Post
    I understand the neutering. Currently though, It's not my biggest issue
    I would tell you, softly and without judgment, that it WAS your biggest issue about 2 months ago.

Cats can reproduce very quickly too. This is another reason to have your male cat fixed asap. If your female cat is pregnant she could easily become pregnant again before you have a chance to get her spayed. I know this from experience. When I was about 8 years old we had a female cat and we let her have kittens. We planned on getting her spayed after that but before we knew it she was pregnant again. Your male cat will also be less likely to run away and to get into cat fights if he does get outside. Good luck.

well, had she been fixed when I got her, this wouldn't be a problem right now. The humane society said they wouldn't compensate me for the kittens vet bills because he's not fixed.

they should at least help.. they also said she was fixed.. how come they don´t acknowledge that too.. they should also understans that you were confident she was fixed
    Corinna´s Christmas Card Swap ´06
    dedicated to a lovely woman who won many hearts along her life...........
    she will be deeply missed.......Thank you for letting us be a part of your life, you will surely remain in ours FOREVER........R.I.P. Dear Corinna

Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful dude that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

notes-to-my-husband blog

http://365project.org/isabelle/365