Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House woes. (May I rant?) - UPDATE

House woes. (May I rant?) - UPDATE

I wrote up a long post a few days ago about how much everything is going wrong lately. I ended up deleting it because I felt weird having it all out on the internet, but I am so fed up right now.

So, long story short my mother sold this house and my boyfriend and I have until closing date (29th of Nov) to find a new place to live. We might get 30 extra days, but its not confirmed. We have been searching for a new place since before the beginning of October and so far all we have gotten is false hope. As we expected, the majority of people we call about rentals say "no pets". The thing that gets me is the amount of people who say they will consider pets, we set up a day and time to view the house, and then on that day they either drop off the face of the earth and don't answer our phone calls or they tell us they have already rented it out to someone else.

We always recite the same info about how all of our pets are spayed and neutered, completely potty trained, Towser stays in his crate while we are gone, is being trained to be a therapy dog, doesn't bark, etc.

I hate it that people who are not responsible for their pets have ruined it for those of us who are. I told one lady that Towser is 100% potty trained (which he is) and she gave me a look like "yeah, right". One man was fine with a dog, but an "absolutely not" when asked if cats were okay. Apparantly the last tenant had an issue with their cat marking its territory. A lot of people are downright rude when telling you absolutely no pets. I understand, I am sure they have had a lot of problems with people not taking care of their property... I just wish they could see how well we keep our house. The vast majority of visitors think we only have 2 cats and a dog. We constantly get compliments that our house smells great, and that they never would have guessed that we have any animals in the first place.

What really gets me is we have a family friend who owns rentals with her husband. We have known her for years and years... at one point she was like a sister to me. She spent countless summers at our house and knows we take great care of our pets. They stated that they would waive their no pet policy for us when we began our search. That was when they had no rentals available. Now that they have two available, they make excuses like "we would rather rent to people who have kids". Seriously? SERIOUSLY? During the past month we have viewed dozens of places for rent, and the majority of ones that were rented by previous tenants that had kids have stained up carpets and crayon on the walls. I'm not saying all kids are like that, my mum would have never tolerated that nonsense.

We did go look at one yesterday where the couple seemed okay with pets. We chatted for a bit and I told the lady about how we use softclaws on our cats, which she really seemed to like the idea of (she is very against declawing, which is great). We are sending her our application on Monday and then fingers crossed from there... I sure don't have my hopes up, though.

Its insane. We have the money, we are good people, we don't party and we take great care of everything we own. Both of us are extremely clean people. Really, all we do is work our butts off and come home, clean, exercise the mutt, then hit the sack. We aren't asking for much, just a small place that can give us some peace of mind.

(Looks like this turned into a "life is not fair" pity party. Sorry about that.)
    Last edited by Casper; 10-24-2013 at 01:53 PM.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

I know from others how hard it is to find a rental when you have pets.

Have you posted on your local Craigslist, under the Pets section, asking if anyone can suggest a place? I know I see such postings on my CL on a regular basis. Of course, be prepared for the wackos to reply as well, but that may be one source for leads.

Don't be too hard on the friend -- my folks owned rental property and it is all but impossible to make an exception to the rules for one tenant and expect all the others to accept this.

I'm sure you have spoken with people at work to let them know you are looking.

Do you have a shelter near you? Sometimes they will know of places which allow pets -- after all, they won't adopt out to someone who lives where no pets are allowed. I've only just thought of this as I am brain storming for you, not sure if it is a source of leads or not.

I'm sure this is stressful, having a deadline and no place to go as yet. I'm also sure something WILL develop for you. Keep searching!

I'll keep pawsitive thoughts going here that you find a place.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

More pawsitive thoughts coming your way
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

That's so frustrating, I'm sorry. I know first hand the damage kids can do to rentals so if people think that pets are always worse they should think again. The house we bought had been a rental for years, I think since it was built. We had to tear out all the carpet, pad, and use special paint on the floor even in one of the kids rooms because the entire floor was literally soaked in urine. You could smell it the minute you walked in the door to the house, and this was an older kid like 8-10. The door had a lock from the outside so I think they were locking the kid in her room (maybe she was trying to run away? I don't know) and she was peeing in there all the time. Every bit of wall space 3 feet and below was covered in marker and crayon doodles....the entire house, blinds and doors too as well as doodles on the floor. They had two cockers that lived in the garage, I think they literally only lived in the garage I don't think they took them into the yard to potty so that was absolutely disgusting too, had to scrub the cement and it still smelled like a barn for months. So that was gross too but the kids room was worse. When we moved out of our old house into this one we decided to rent it instead of sell it and I advertised it as pets okay, not once did I think to not allow pets. Of course I was picky about how many pets and they had to be spayed/neutered. We got lucky and have awesome renters that take really good care of the house, they have two boxers and I have no problems with that. I pray they stay there for a really long time because you never know, it is hard to judge how the people will actually be. But I definitely wish people would give those that have pets a chance, it sucks that bad renters have given everyone a bad name when it comes to renting. Especially frustrating that someone who knows you and personally knows how clean you are won't give you a chance.

The shelter idea is good - they often know of places.

Also, can you offer a pet deposit on top of any other deposit required? That may help.

Good luck with this!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Don't know what your financial picture looks like but, it may be more feasible to buy than rent a house. You usually pay about the same or less
    with a mortgage rather than rent. Rentals can be vary expensive depending on the area. As to renting with pets, my daughter was in that same situation
    with one dog ( a pit mix) and was turned down everywhere until she got a letter from her Vet (our family Vet for years) attesting to the dog's good nature.
    It worked for her.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I was going to say the same as Lizbud, Courtney. Maybe you can look into buying, even a condo? If you have the money, why not try? I'm not sure you can get approved for a mortgage or anything but maybe it would be a better option.

That sounds so beyond frustrating. I am sure your pets are beautifully behaved, they lost a customer over assumptions, so who was the loser in the situation?

Thanks for the positive thoughts.

We would love to buy, but at the same time we plan on moving out of state in a year or two. Plus our credit isn't up to par for the whole house buying process. I've asked the dog catcher if he knows of any places, and he didn't. I'll try to get in touch with our elusive humane society to see if they have any suggestions. I've also asked a few friends who rent and have pets and its alarming how many of them aren't even supposed to have pets, but just sneak them in. I definitely couldn't do that.

We do offer pet deposits and references, and that sometimes gets their attention, but they always end up choosing someone else. I don't know if everyone is looking for older tenants or what. The majority of people our age around here are trouble, and its common to assume young 20-somethings might not be the best choice, but gosh... just give us a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    I know first hand the damage kids can do to rentals...
    Oh my goodness, that sounds like a complete nightmare... and incredibly sad that people lived in such conditions.
    I'm glad you don't let pets deter you from renting to someone. Now if only you had a rental available for us... and didn't live so far away.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

When I rented my apartment, my credit wasn't good either and they required two months security and one month's rent in advance. No problem. I asked about cats and they said fine. I've been here 9 years already and have had cats come and go, because of me being in rescue. The girls in the management office often call me with rescue issues, which I don't mind. It's a win-win situation in my case.

I once lived in a complex where the 2 kids (ages 4& 6) upstairs were not allowed outside to play in the huge, beautiful courtyard, so they played "ring around the rose" in the living room till all hours of the night. The noise was awful. My first "red flag" should've been when the landlord said, "Oh, and the kids upstairs are quiet and go to bed early so there shouldn't be a problem." Yeah right. Not only did they NOT go to bed early, the mother's boyfriend got a puppy and tied it to the railing in the common areas of the building, allowing it to bark incessantly. I called the cops on the advice of the landlord. She told the cop, "I pay taxes AND YOUR SALARY and you can't tell me what to do." I would avoid coming home at night until the kids went to bed, the noise was so bad.

It's sad that irresponsible people ruin it for the good people who abide by the laws. I wish you much luck in finding a place to live. There is SOMEPLACE out there waiting for you!!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Be persistent, and whenever you see a fellow dog owner, ask if they know anyone, or any place. Also, it is worth getting references from your vet., etc. showing you are not a typical pet owners - you are a Pet Talker!
    I've Been Frosted

Sorry you had to run into the "no pets" policy most places have now. My friend has an apt building and she had the same policy, I spent the day with her once but took my 3 dogs along... we had a great chat session, had lunch etc. I took the dogs out to the back once to potty then back in... they slept the whole time I was there- 5 hours in all. Before leaving I asked if she had a problem with me taking the dogs and she said of course not...I reminded her of the noisy kids we heard while we were chatting... told her maybe she should reconsider her policy, she thought it was only because my dogs were super trained-I told her most dogs were like mine, people today really take great care of their dogs. Told her to screen the next dog owners, ask for a pet damage deposit and give it a try. Today she has a "no kids " policy. Some people just don't realize that not all people are letting their dogs tear up the place, most are responsible owners and it's pretty easy to weed out the bad dog people.

I have to agree that kids do more damage than dogs today, seems parents don't care what the kids do as long as it keeps them out of their hair.

ETA-- I should have said many of the kids today, I know there are still terrific well behaved kids out there and I don't mean to label al kids as brats.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I'm so happy to see that you guys understand where I'm coming from. I've been asking around and have gathered a few more numbers I can call about rentals today. I am more optimistic now and will just keep giving it my all until something finally works out. I have a feeling that something good will happen soon.
    The Minions:

Just had to come update this since....
    WE FOUND A PLACE!!

Just got a call saying we are approved for the one I mentioned in my first post. I am so excited I am literally dancing around the room. Move in date is the beginning of November. I can't wait!!! I already feel like a gigantic weight has been lifted off my shoulders.

Thanks again for all the positive thoughts and advice.
    The Minions:

Yay!!!! Congrats and I hope everything goes well with moving!
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers