Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about country dogs

Question about country dogs

We're getting ready to move to the country, and I have some questions about how our dogs' lives will be different. It's a very remote area.

Do you let your dogs outside off leash? If so, how often do they come inside? Do you have to go looking for them at bedtime?

I think it would be OK to let them have some freedom in the day time, but I really want them home before dark and I'm hoping they'll kind of hang around the house most of the day. Do country dogs tend to stay pretty close to the homestead most of the time?

I realize there are a lot of risks associated with letting them run off leash. Max will probably attack a porcupine at least one more time. He'll probably get sprayed by a skunk more than once. But I'd be willing to budget a little extra for vet bills just to allow him to have a happier life.

With Jake, I don't worry about him chasing any smaller animals and getting hurt that way. I'm pretty sure he'll just hang around the house and bark at the chickens.

Thanks for the siggy, Lexi_Lover!

If I were you, I'd invest in the fence. Tons of people do have country dogs who stick close to home with no fence. But then it just takes that one accident and the dogs are gone forever. You'll always hear people say its okay because the dogs stick by home, but most likely those same people have had many accidents in the past with their dogs, and when they don't change antyhing, many accidents are waiting in the future. There's no way to guarantee that a dog will stay on the property. Even if they lay there 99% of the time, there might be that ONE thing that comes along that will cause them to run off and get injured, stolen, or killed.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

I agree with Aly..
    I wouldn't take any chances, no matter how remote the area is.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

My friend's dog was shot and killed because he happened to be roaming around in the country. They lived pretty remotely, about six miles from the nearest neighbor, and, he still managed to get on someone else's property. How remote are you talking? I agree with getting a fence. They're happy AND safe that way.

Thanks, Dogz!

"...when does sometimes turn into all the time...." Joe Pisapia

"We all start off as strangers, it's where we end up that counts." Jennifer Beals, Four Rooms

"And I find it kind of funny...I find it kind of sad...The dreams in which I’m dying Are the best I’ve ever had" Tears for Fears, Mad World

"The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that's wrong with the world" Dr Paul Farmer

I agree with Aly. Put up a fence.

I live in a rural area, and most of the dogs here run loose. I am forever seeing a dead dog in the ditch, having been hit by a car. Or a dog with a broken leg. Or hearing some kids talk about finding a dead dog in a leg hold trap, after it bled or starved to death. My neighbors lab was brutally mauled and killed by a pit bull, in front of her two grade-school aged sons, when both dogs where running loose. My ex's dog was blinded by porcupine quills shot into his eyeball. Dogs are routinely shot and killed if a farmer or rancher suspects the dog is bothering his livestock ... and "bothering" has different meanings to different people. I could go on and on with what I have seen around here.

Dogs allowed to run loose in rural areas are, for the most part, diposable animals. If this dog gets shot or hit by a car or killed ... no big deal, because there's a litter of pups in the barn anyway. I don't believe you feel that way about your dogs, though, and I would hate for you to find out the hard way about the extreme dangers of dogs running loose.

Not to mention the fact that letting your dogs run loose, going onto other people's private property is extemely rude and NOT a good-neigborly sort of thing to do.

But I'd be willing to budget a little extra for vet bills just to allow him to have a happier life.
    It may be a LOT for vet bills, or it may be zero for vet bills, if you go looking for your dog and find he or she dead. And a happier life? I don't know about that. Dogs are pack animals, happy with their pack ... you. Sure, most dogs will explore given a chance, but that is certainly not to say that dogs who are not allowed to roam free are unhappy!

Put up a fence.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Our place is not as remote as your friend's.

The people who live there now have lived there for over 30 years. Their dog is really old and always off leash. The neighbors have a dog that's so old he can't really leave the house anymore, but when he was younger he was off leash. Then of course there are the working dogs on the farms.

That's why I was wondering if maybe running loose was not as dangerous as I had thought.

There is a very nice dog who comes over and visits the place we're buying. He's a big shepherd/collie mix. I know that when he comes in the yard, Max is going to be just going crazy, wanting to play with him.

Maybe instead of letting Max run loose, I can build a big kennel and let that dog come in and play with him. That would be the best of both worlds.

The road is so full of potholes that cars can't really go very fast on it, so I'm not really worried about anybody getting hit by a car - I am worried that, like your friend's dog, one of the dogs might get shot.

So - I guess there's really not much of a decision to be made. I will feel so terrible keeping them penned up, though, when there's so much fun for them to do out there. You'd think country dogs could have more fun than city dogs, but I guess they really can't do so safely.

I'm just thinking aloud here. Decisions, decisions.

OMG, Twisterdog! You have me convinced. That's just absolutely terrible. Jeez! Not at all the sweet, peaceful life in the country that I had pictured. Wow!

I did live in the country for a few years as a child, and in the area where I lived, people really didn't keep dogs indoors. It was just the thing to do - to let your dogs run. But now that I think of it, their relationships with their dogs weren't as close as the relationships we have with our dogs. I was so young, I really didn't pay much attention.

The thing is - Max can jump HIGH. I really don't know how high he could go, but he's unbelievably athletic. We have a big 4WD truck, and one day after our walk we had the window closed halfway and he was still able to jump into it from the ground. And he digs craters halfway to China. So - we couldn't have a great big fenced in area for him to romp in. The logistics are just too much. It's either freedom or containment for him - no in-betweens.

You know - I just had a thought!!!! There's an old barn foundation on the property. The foundation is very deep and there's NO WAY that Max could dig under it. I'll bet we could build a really secure kennel on that foundation, which would hold even Max! Then we could let his little friends come in to play with him. We were going to use the foundation for a greenhouse, but I think this would be a better use.

If you have taught your dogs to come on command, there may be a way to have a bit of both worlds. You could leave them in a fenced area when you cannot watch them and let them run free when you can. Dazzi is very good about staying in the area we are in and coming back when we say that is far enough. I often let her free especially when I am in the back yard working on the flower beds. She can roam but is close enough that I can call her back from whatever trouble she may be in.

And yes, I think a lot of farm dogs get to roam because the owners don't see them as family members but animals that can be replaced without much thought or grief.

"That they may have a little peace, even the best
    dogs are compelled to snarl occasionally."
    --William Feather

Originally posted by 4 Dog Mother
    If you have taught your dogs to come on command, there may be a way to have a bit of both worlds. You could leave them in a fenced area when you cannot watch them and let them run free when you can. Dazzi is very good about staying in the area we are in and coming back when we say that is far enough. I often let her free especially when I am in the back yard working on the flower beds. She can roam but is close enough that I can call her back from whatever trouble she may be in.

And yes, I think a lot of farm dogs get to roam because the owners don't see them as family members but animals that can be replaced without much thought or grief.
    I've taught them to come on command, but I don't think I could count on them doing it if they were preoccupied with something. I could trust Jake but Max would get focused on a squirrel or rabbit or something and that would be it.

The people who live out there now use their dogs to keep wild animals off the property. You can't have a garden out there unless you have a way to keep the deer away from it. They probably keep the small critters away from the chickens, too. I don't know why their dogs don't roam. They just don't! There's a farm about a mile away that has a border collie who helps out with the cows (keeps the coyotes away from the calves etc.). He stays put - doesn't roam at all. Maybe that's because he's a working dog and takes his job very seriously.

i live out in the country but my dogs know that they are not supposed to go any futher than my grandmothers house but i tought this to them as soon as i got them as puppys the only problem with bringing a city dog to the countryis that they get all of this freedom and they will go insane if you don't gradully intoduce it to them and let them KNOW THAT THEY DO HAVE BOUNDRYS you have to make that clear to them i didn't really read what everyone else said i only read the first post so you might have already decided on something idk i hope this helps but i do take them on leash to alot of places but as for hunting no one really hunts around me other than my brother and my cousin so the dogs are ussally with them and you can buy brought neon orange sweeter collars and things
    KayKay

R.I.P. my sweet Little bit and itty bit you will be in my heart forever I love you!

"No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle"
    Winston Churchill

Were i live we have are surronded by woods, Rio knows not to go over the bonderies, we have hedges as fences apart from the 2 drive exits where there is no gate, she knows not to go past them, although somtimes in hot weather she takes herself into the woods stream, and when i call (shout,lol) she comes running back alll wet so i know where she go's,lol
    Ky

I want to just mention one thing the others haven't Having lived in both th e city and the country as well as remote.

Being a good dog neighbor, I really hate having eveery one elses dog in my yard. I now have a neighbor who lets hers roam., I have picked up more of her dogs poop than my own newfys. She now has a terrier mix who is a very nasty guy. He barks annd growls at me from MY carport,chases kids on their bikes. Please if you love your dogs and want to stay on good terms with your neighbors build a fence.

Why not an underground electronic fence????? They work, and the dog learns quickly where his boundaries are. There is no wire fence to dig under OR jump over, no chain on your dog, and his neighborhood friends can come in to play whenever they want. Also, whoever mows the grass in your family will appreciate not having a fence to trim around!

Most electronic fences can easily enclose an area of about 1/2 to one acre (or more!), and should give your dog plenty of room to run and play to his heart's content!

A search on Google brings up lots of websites for "electronic dog fences", i.e., http://www.online-dog-store.com/elec...dog_fence.html

Let me put my 2 cents in.

We live about 3-4 miles out in the country. No, our dogs do not roam. We have a fence & in additon we have an electric fence (both at the top and at the bottom). It only takes a couple of times for them to touch the fence to not get close to it again.
    There is no way I would EVER let Roxey (or the other two) go without being in a fence or on a leash. She would be forever gone.

And also I totally agree with Corrina. We have a next door neighbor that now has 2 GSD's. They have an underground fence and I can't even being to tell you how many times they have gotten out They are constantly at my fence (play)fighting with my dogs. They tear up my grass (among other things) and do their business in my yard. And who pays for it & cleans it up? ME!

About a month ago I finally had had enough and told them if I caught their dogs out again I would be calling the dog warden. Well, they put up a large outdoor kennel but they're rarly in it

So anyway, I say either put up a kennel or a dog run. Don't let them run free. All it takes is for one person to be going fast on your bad road & their gone.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets