Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

Is this a good thing or a bad thing?

This "Pet talk" place can sure be hard on a person. We (at least the cat side) have had too many kitties leaving for the RB lately.
    Casey
    Pepper
    Gabe
    and others, and each time I find myself crying my eyes out like I lost a personal friend. I guess, I did.
    My heart goes out to each one of you who have lost dear friends. Try to be strong (stronger than me, at least)

Jen, I wish that Pet Talk had been around when I had lost my other furkids years ago. It is a wonderful place to come and share our loves and also our losses. Everyone here understands, unlike some who we may meet in our day-to-day lives that don't understand the human/animal bond.

The dog side has also had its share of losses. Right now I am drawing a blank and the only one who comes immediately to mind is Lizbud's Buddy. (Forgive my bad memory right now). There have been, and are, many sick pupsters there as well.

When we meet these furkids and they become our extended family we share the fun times but also the sorrow. Yes, sometimes being a Pet Talker can be very hard.

I find the price of having lots of friends who share my passion for dogs is higher than other friends. Because of the short life span of animals compared to people we do suffer more with our friends... but we also rejoice in their joys as well and somehow it all seems to balance out in the end.

I watched my friend Kathi recently go through agony as her beloved Jazz (Dixie's Aunt) faded and eventually cross over the bridge. But then I got to rejoice with her when she got her new pup about 5 months later. Now I am watching her go through saddness again as her Blaze (Dixie's brother) suffers with an unknown sickness.

We are a compassionate group of people!

What a good question, Jen. It is, in my opinion, a good thing, if you can disregard some of the pettiness that comes up, especially on the General section. I have been successful in keeping my mouth shut on that part, so far, I think.

As for the other parts of Pet Talk.....I don't know how we could ask for a better support group than what we have with these wonderful people. We grieve together, we laugh together, we celebrate together, we rejoice together and we pray together. It is exactly what I need at all times. All of those things are the reason that I could never leave here. I have found 5 of my closest friends, for life, on this site. That's a huge statement about what it means to me. Those 5 know who they are, my "favorite girls".

Logan

Jen, I was thinking of writing a post just like this. It is so hard on me to read of these sad happenings, but it is important to give support - I know I'll be needing it someday myself.

Wit the pictures and posts about everyone's pets, I feel I know them and I grieve when I hear the bad news (that has been coming way too often these days, it seems).

I am touched by the outpouring of care and concern that comes from the people here in these difficult circumstances.

And our hearts as well are heavy for Karen (Wolflady) who lost her beloved kitty Socks to diabetes last week. The hardest part is not being able to comfort our friends personally in their time of grief and loss. Yes, it is very hard at times when we learn our dear friends have lost their beloved furkids; it's like losing one of my own. But, a true friend is one who is there not only during the happy times, but during the hardest times, as well. As the song says, "He ain't heavy, he's my brother." My heart is aching for all members of our Pet Talk family who are dealing with the heartache of an ailing or lost furkid
    Last edited by tatsxxx11; 02-11-2003 at 03:57 PM.

Star,Tigg'r , Mollie and the10 Gallon Gang!

And my Rainbow Bridge Furangels...Jingles, Cody, Fritz, Chessa, Satin, Buddy, Lizzie, Oliver, Squeaker, Moonbeam, Rosie, Ruby~

Has anyone else found it hard getting a new pet because of a particularly hard passing of a previous one?

It was sort of bittersweet for me when I got Boo. I couldn't help but think "one day he's going to die and it's going to hurt like hell".

My parent's dog is getting older and I'm constantly fearful about his passing as well. I just can't seem to shake the death of my childhood dog.

I could not have handled the health problems with Bassett without the support of everyone here. It has been wonderful to know I can come to a place where I won't hear "she's just a cat" and where people understand.

Soledad - I've thought about that too.. will it be too hard when a pet passes. But I look at it like this: isn't it more selfish of me to NOT take in another animal who needs a loving home, when I have the love in my heart to give? Sure it hurts, but look at the life I can provide for an animal in need! It's those thoughts that keep me going, even when my heart is breaking.

I'm sorry to all of you for your losses. Although it's a difficult time, don't forget the joy that they brought you. My sympathies to all of you.

Don't buy while shelter dogs die!!

10. Soledad...I will admit that one of the reasons I did not get a pet until my husband psuhed so hard was the fear of the inevitable loss. I have cried for every loss on Pettalk.

An age old question in any case...."tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all..."

Good points, guys. I mean, I *know* these things....but it's hard not to still *feel* the way I do.

It wasn't just that my dog died, it was the long and horrible way we witnessed him go. We tried so hard and it was all for nothing.

It's hard to shake that feeling, and hard to work through it to the point that you don't think about it every time you look at your other pets.

I agree that it's hard to watch an animal suffer. Although I think most times, animals only suffer because we, as pet lovers, selfishly keep them around because we don't want to lose them. I am not saying that is what happened in your case, it's just an observation I have made too many times.

It is hard, but I look at my pets as the huge joys I have in the present, and the good memories I will have when they are gone. Just give Boo and big hug, and thank him for blessing your life while he can, and for giving you memories that you will cherish forever - memories you wouldn't have if you never had him at all.

You're right, my dog probably should have been put down a lot earlier. But you don't ever want to give up hope as long as there is some chance of recovery. However, my parents wanted us to make the decision because they wanted us to work through understanding mourning, etc. Look where that got me?

I love Boo to pieces and he is a great joy in our lives. We know it would be so much poorer without him.

Originally posted by Soledad

I love Boo to pieces and he is a great joy in our lives. We know it would be so much poorer without him.
    There's your reason for loving a pet right there!

Originally posted by Nomilynn
    It has been wonderful to know I can come to a place where I won't hear "she's just a cat" and where people understand.
    I have to agree with you. When I lost Wiley last week I told no one at school teh next day cause I knew that would be there response "Its just a cat get over it" While as Wiley was at the vets passing I was already telling people on pet talk about him being ill and then him dieng. It was a good suport. I felt bad posting about his death in the cat genral because I don't post over there alot but I needed to talk to someone about it and I knew you guys would understand. When I talk to people about you gusy I'm always Like O My Friend Someone told me this or that and they are like its just a website, but I see us more as a family who is scatered through out the world.

Ash
    Dogs: Nova, Konnor and Sitka