Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ask a Vet!

I never thought about how they learn something like that or at what age they needed to learn.. I always cleaned her afterwards until she got (what I thought) was old enough to do it herself and thought the rest just came naturally to them...

She was my first bottle baby and I knew I would make mistakes..LOL! Never thought about this though..

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    I never thought about how they learn something like that or at what age they needed to learn.. I always cleaned her afterwards until she got (what I thought) was old enough to do it herself and thought the rest just came naturally to them...

She was my first bottle baby and I knew I would make mistakes..LOL! Never thought about this though..
    People know a lot more know that they did years ago, but it is good she is a loved kitty regardless!
    I've Been Frosted

New Opportunity this week!

Anyone have a question they would like to ask a Veterinarian? This week I will be recording a show with 3 eta, one a nutrition guru of sorts, one traditional, and one holistic and traditional. So anything goes, let me know!
    I've Been Frosted

Just saw this...

Too late to ask a question?

No, as we are doing another "Ask a Vet" show next Wednesday! Ask away!
    I've Been Frosted

cool - thanks!

My question, in reference to my horses:

How accurate is hair analysis for mineral deficiency/toxicity?

I will put that at the top of the list!

Any more questions, folks?
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, I'm disappointed you never sent me that audio file with the vet's answers, you said you would. Of course, it's too late now - Fister has gone. I had taken some time to think about and write those questions, and express myself the best I could, and I really would have liked to hear what the vets said. Well, I guess some are more important than others.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi View Post
    Karen, I'm disappointed you never sent me that audio file with the vet's answers, you said you would. Of course, it's too late now - Fister has gone. I had taken some time to think about and write those questions, and express myself the best I could, and I really would have liked to hear what the vets said. Well, I guess some are more important than others.
    Sorry, Randi, I thought I had - the engineer* is sometimes tardy getting the files back to us after the show, and that one took far too long to get back to me. I could still dig it out and send it to you if you want ....

*nice person but ....
    I've Been Frosted

Bumpity!
    I've Been Frosted

I thought of a question. Let me know the next time you'll be doing the show so I can ask it.

Time helps the sadness subside, but the memories remain forever.

Okay, I will!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by zippy-kat View Post
    My question, in reference to my horses:

How accurate is hair analysis for mineral deficiency/toxicity?
    Both vets agreed - hair analysis is excellent and accurate, best taken from the mane or tail, somewhere where it grows continually, and they can give you the history of any deficiency or toxicity as well. It is best to have a vet do the collection both to make sure they get the root ball, and so, say Princess Pony will hate the vet instead of you, who has to deal with her on a daily basis (think of how annoying it is if someone yanks a piece of hair from your head!) but this is often the best way to tell with horses, especially if there are not other gross symptoms. It depends what part of the country you are in what they need to test for, of course. Does that help? I'll email you the audio files when I get them, but wanted to tell you that part, in any case!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Both vets agreed - hair analysis is excellent and accurate, best taken from the mane or tail, somewhere where it grows continually, and they can give you the history of any deficiency or toxicity as well. It is best to have a vet do the collection both to make sure they get the root ball, and so, say Princess Pony will hate the vet instead of you, who has to deal with her on a daily basis (think of how annoying it is if someone yanks a piece of hair from your head!) but this is often the best way to tell with horses, especially if there are not other gross symptoms. It depends what part of the country you are in what they need to test for, of course. Does that help? I'll email you the audio files when I get them, but wanted to tell you that part, in any case!
    Awesome, thanks and I look forward to the audio files! Out of curiosity were these the holistic vets or the traditional vets?

Does it help? Sort of! lol It was more out of curiosity than anything. Summer went through a REALLY rough patch 2-3 years ago (issues with ulcers and a few other things) and while she is 200x better, she's still not quite right. The traditional equine vets I've had her to agree something's not quite right but, even through various tests, can't diagnosis anything concrete. Her chiropractor and message therapist brought her further along but I still feel like we're missing a piece of the puzzle. A friend recently mentioned hair analysis (none of my vets have mentioned it) and I was just curious how accurate it might be. It's a fairly cheap test so it might be worth a look.

I'm interested to hear if they mentioned anything about the process. I thought the hair was cleaned, incinerated, then tested. Apparently not if they are able to give a history! Interesting!

Thanks, Karen!

Quote Originally Posted by zippy-kat View Post
    Awesome, thanks and I look forward to the audio files! Out of curiosity were these the holistic vets or the traditional vets?

Thanks, Karen!
    Dr. Carol is very much a holistic vet, and Dr. Cathy is as well. I'll email you the audio files in a minute, see what you think, and if you have any follow-up questions, I can give you email addresses for them!

And for everyone else, we are doing "Ask the Vets" again next week, but at a new time, and this show will be live so if you are at a computer you can listen next Thursday at 3 .p.m. Eastern as we record the show!
    I've Been Frosted