Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Good dog books....

Good dog books....

Does anyone here know of any really good dog books? I'm easily bored, and since it's summer, I decided I should just grab a book, and sit down and read! But...... I don't really have any good books... (Besides the James Herriot series.... which my mother keeps pesturing me to read...., LOL) I know that they are GREAT books, and I'll enjoy them, but I want to find some other good books, too.

Thanks a bunch!

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

I read a book called "because of winn-dixie" a few months ago. It was really cute. Even if it was middle school level I read it anyway.

Suzanne Clothier's "Bones would rain from the sky"...It's the best dog book I've ever read.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Originally posted by Glacier
    Suzanne Clothier's "Bones would rain from the sky"...It's the best dog book I've ever read.
    Is it fiction?
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

The Winn-Dixie book was great (and so was the movie). I'm reading A Walk Across America about a man who (surprise) walks across america with his dog. VERY good and I'm 1/2 way through. AND it's a true story based in the 70's. I once read a book about a black pug. I believe the book was called Clara. It was very entertaining.

Originally posted by finn's mom
    Is it fiction?
    No, it's her theory on dogs and our relationship with them. It's marketed as a training manual, but it doesn't deal with teaching a dog commands. It deals with building your relationship with your dog as two beings, not master & pet.
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Originally posted by Glacier
    No, it's her theory on dogs and our relationship with them. It's marketed as a training manual, but it doesn't deal with teaching a dog commands. It deals with building your relationship with your dog as two beings, not master & pet.
    gotcha, i like books like that. i've been reading some at the library. just off and on....
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Amazing Gracie is such a good book! and Ginger Pye

both great books I own and recommend!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

a good one I recently read is called "dog capers"? something like that I cant find it right now, its a memoirs but more like an adventure novel about this woman who feeds and rescues abused dogs after finding a german shepherd tied to a oil barrel on her way to work, which a huge gash in his shoulder that looked like someone had taken an axe to it, and when not a single person or organization was willing to help, it drives her to start helping these dogs herself, it is an exelent book, kept me very interested.
    Shayna
    Mom to:
    Misty-10 year old BC Happy-12 year old BC Electra-6 year old Toller Rusty- 9 year old JRT X Gem and Gypsy- 10 month ACD X's Toivo-8 year old pearl 'Tiel Marley- 3 year old whiteface Cinnamon pearl 'Tiel Jenny- the rescue bunny Peepers the Dwarf Hotot Miami- T. Marcianus

"sister" to:

Perky-13 year old mix Ripley-11 year old mix

and the Prairie Clan Gerbils

Cali!! It was Canine Capers, I have that book, and read it twice! I absolutely loved it!

Thanks everyone! I'm still going to look aroing on amazon.com a little, to find some more. I appreciate it!

Oh yeah, my sister has the book Ginger Pye, and I'm going to lend it from her.

Kaitlyn (the human)
    Sadie & Rita (Forever in Our Hearts) (the Labbies)

i like reading dog fancy mags. i know they aren't books, but close enough.haha
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.

Lute, I like Dog Fancy too! Have you read Bark and Fido Friendly magazines too? I like them.

I also LOVE Canine Caper It's an amazing story

"Bringing up beauty" by Sylvia McNicoll is also really good. It's about a girl raising a guide dog..

"A different kind of beauty" is the sequal to "Bringing up beauty" I loved this one.

I just received this email about animal books from the ASPCA (Hachiko Waits sounds good):

THE WRITE STUFF: WINNERS OF 2004 ASPCA CHILDREN’S BOOK AWARDS ANNOUNCED
    Now here’s some “fine print” that shouldn’t be overlooked! Earlier this week, the ASPCA honored the winners of the fifth annual Henry Bergh Children’s Book Awards program at a special ceremony and book signing held in conjunction with the American Library Association’s Annual Conference. A dozen titles were recognized for their exemplary handling of animal- and environment-related subject matter, including:

* Firefly Books’ Changing the Future for Endangered Wildlife Series, which features lively, accessible text and stunning color photographs of chimpanzees, frogs and elephants;

* Hachiko Waits, Leslea Newman’s fictional account of a real-life dog who kept vigil for nearly ten years at a Tokyo train station, waiting for his deceased master to return from work; and

* The Goat Lady by Joan Bergoli, which chronicles the friendship between the author’s family and an old woman who keeps a herd of white goats in her yard.

“The ASPCA hopes that by recognizing these books, we are providing parents, teachers and librarians with the tools necessary to instill in our children the need to respect and properly care for pets and the environment,” says Ed Sayres, ASPCA President.

If you’re looking for some great summer reads for the littlest animal lovers in your life, the 2004 Henry Bergh Children’s Book Award Winners are now available for purchase online. And we’ve got a great deal for humane educators, teachers and librarians (or anyone else who’d like to get a complete set of this year’s award winners)—when you buy all 12 titles, you’ll receive a 15% discount.

Originally posted by elizabethann
    Lute, I like Dog Fancy too! Have you read Bark and Fido Friendly magazines too? I like them.
    i've never heard of Bark and Fido Friendly
    Owned by two little pastries!

REST IN PEACE GRACIE. NOT A DAY GOES BY THAT I DON'T MISS YOU.