Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thursday #567. Arctic Vortex Thursday!

Thursday #567. Arctic Vortex Thursday!

I had to laugh at the "Arctic Vortex" moniker.

What ever happened to "Cold air from Canada"?

-----------

I hope everyone has made it thru this past week - It's always great weather here in Thursday's and shorts and tanktops are the uniform of the day.

Since the sun always shines here I think that the sgorppino should be the DOTD - I saw a variation of this drink on TV and thought it might be a winner.......

Ingredients
    1 cup chilled Prosecco (Italian sparkling white wine)
    2 tablespoons chilled vodka
    1/3 cup frozen lemon sorbet
    1/4 teaspoon chopped fresh mint leaves

Directions
    Pour the Prosecco and vodka into 2 Champagne flutes, diving equally. Spoon a scoop of sorbet into each flute. Sprinkle with mint and serve immediately

----------------------------------

I think hot water, soup, homemade bread and a HUGE fire in the fireplace is in order!

DONE!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

We used to hear of the "Alberta Clipper" when the cold swooped in across the MidWest and NorthEast from up where Catty1 lives - this "Arctic Vortex," though, dropped further down, way down and had a swirling shape - it even briefly touched Florida, hit Tennessee and lots of the South ... Now that we have such good satellite imagery, the scientists and weather folks can see larger patterns than they used to be able to, so see the bigger picture with things like this vortex! All weather is local, but is also part of a global system, and now that we have off-planet satellites, we can see that better!

Cocoa please, with some of that good bread!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm drinking tea because it's snowing again; would anyone like some?

My favorite radio DJ quipped this morning that there may soon be garage bands in high schools across the Chicago area named Polar Vortex.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Just keep LOH away from the soup unless you want to eat it with a knife and fork.....
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

You know us Canadians, we love to share.

Hope everyone managed ok in the cold.

I've injured my foot on the ice here so I'm going to put it up, and hope Angel wants a snuggle.
    Gayle - self proclaimed Queen of Poop
    Mommy to: Cali (14 year old kitten)
    (RB furbabies: Rascal RB 10/11/03 (ferret), Sami RB 24/02/04 (dog), Trouble RB 10/08/05 (ferret), Miko RB 20/01/06 (ferret) and Sebastian RB 12/12/06(ferret), Sasha RB 17/10/09 (border collie cross), Diego RB 04/12/21

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    You know us Canadians, we love to share.

Hope everyone managed ok in the cold.

I've injured my foot on the ice here so I'm going to put it up, and hope Angel wants a snuggle.
    I am sure Angel is already on your lap, Gayle, feel free to try to nudge her off if you want to, well, breathe or anything! But with that short fur she's got, she is a nice heat source!
    I've Been Frosted

That drink sounds really good! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought Polar Vortex would be a good name for a band!
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Queen of Poop View Post
    She'll always take a snuggle after a bout of rope, but if it's evening the rope isn't required.

She makes a very, very warm blanket, it's just a tad tough to breathe with 50 pounds of puppy insisting on snuggling on your chest.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

And now, a brief winter joke (I heard this from the mother of a third grader at church choir last night).
    What does a snowman eat for lunch? Iceberg-ers.

Angel puppy, you and Q of P stay right there and I will bring you whatever you need.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I'll see your Artic Vortex and raise you one Pineapple Express.

Pineapple Express is the catchy phrase used here to describe lots and lots of rain from Hawaii. Unfortunately, by the time it arrives here its just unseasonably warm (melting our Cascade mountain snowpacks which give us our summer irrigation), and rainy.

These are not the droids you were looking for

Well we cannot blame Hawai'i for this but it is currently 57+ degrees and pouring here, and thunder and lightning. Fine weather for April, but January?
    I've Been Frosted

Do you still serve hot buttered rum, Richard?
    If so please give me some, I need something to
    To warm me up.

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

Richard, that DOTD sounds wonderful. Please sir, may I have one?
    Have just spent the whole day taking down my tree and lights and packing them up for the locker. Always a sad task for me.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Have just spent the whole day taking down my tree and lights and packing them up for the locker. Always a sad task for me.
    That's why ours stay up until Feb. or so.

Since we don't use the fireplace, I have them draped with Christmas lights on a timer. I always get the "Can you take the lights down" request, but I have forgotten - for the last two years. I love my lights.

Let's see here......

LH,

I hope you have some kind of connections, I NEED a Pat's win on Sunday.

Done?

Slick,
    One DOTD for you! (keep a string of lights up.....)

Done!

HI TRAY!

Long, long time, hope all is well.

HBR and a seat by the fire.....DONE!

Catland,

Oh how I miss the PAE.....especially that miserable cold rain in CA!

CM,
    When I was in high school, I was a camp counselor for 6th graders, they were telling the same jokes I told, six years later!!!

STE,
    And now, the Grammy winning, multi gold disc recording band....ARTIC VORTEX.
    They'll play all their hits, including.....
    Too Cool 4 u
    I Got Cold Feet
    The Freeze is ON!
    Yellow Snow
    You Got Me by the Snow Balls....

QoP,
    I love to read mountaineering books and whenever I hear about extreme cold I think about two men who were stuck on a mountain. To ward off frost bite, they took off their boots and stuck each other's feet into their armpits. I hope your foot stays warm! Feel better!

A round for everyone!!!!!!