Thread: HELP, My cat is POOPING on the bed!!

HELP, My cat is POOPING on the bed!!

Bella my 4 yr old cat has just started pooping and peeing on my son's bed. It happend for the first time about a week ago. Washed all the linens, nothing went thru to the mattress. At that point, we weren't sure which cat it was. We have a newer addition Semper who is 13 months old (we've had him a year). Then 2 days ago, we discovered poop and pee on my son's bed. This was happening when he slept in my bed and we left his door open. This time it did soil the mattress so after vigorous cleaning with Simple Solution extreme Cat cleaner, my son gets in bed tonight and Bella hops up on the bed and poops right in front of him!! What is going on. Now mind you, Bella is not anybody's "cat" in this house. She answers to no one, doesn't care for humans too much, will bite you in a heartbeat. Basically just feed her and clean her litter box and leave her alone. I am lost. I can't imagine her being "upset" with anyone in the house and she is very much a loner. Nothing has changed recently either. Except my daughter's boyfriend coming over alot. But Bella isn't pooping on her bed.
    Sherwin, Bella and Semper's Mama!

My cat Peeka did that, pooped right in front of me while I was eating dinner. It turned out that she was sick and I guess that's the only way she could tell me, even though she didn't appear to be sick at all. Take Bella to your vet, tell what has happened and have her thoroughly checked, especially for the early stages of renal failure, which is NOT a death sentence. Good luck and please update us.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

In addition to the vet check up, some other things to think about:
    - did you change the litter brand?
    - move the litter box?
    - add a litter box, since you added a cat? Yes, it was a year ago, but cats can be funny like that!
    - has the 13 month old been fixed? Males do give off stronger odors on their pee and poop, and if he recently used the box, the litter may not have neutralized the odor enough and she doesn't like it!

- did you change their food? Something in the new food may not agree w/ her and gives her an unpleasant feeling so she just goes where she is.

I haven't added a litter box. I just bought a bigger one. I've been using the same litter (crystals) for a year now and sometimes change up their food. Litter box is in the same place. I have made an appt with the vet. The only thing I know to do is keep the bedroom door closed. That is the only place she does it at. So, what will I do if there is nothing medically wrong with her? I am just blown away by this. It is so nasty...

If your vet says that kitty checks out fine medically, there are several behavior modification things you can try and when all else fails, medication that is safe to use w/o side effects. For right now, though, one step at a time. Hoping for a good report.....
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Great advice here.

Jen,

Cats don't like change. Adding another litterbox might help the problem. But please, have her be checked by a vet to rule out anything medical first.

I use Feliway, a concentrated spray. It has an enzyme that only cats detect and it works great! Calms everyone right down. You spray it high in the air and it gently disperses in the air.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

cat problem

Besides a Siberian Husky - I have 2 cats - the 2 cats are brother and sister - 4 years old on April 14 - only the boy cat have I had problems with - occasionally peeing/pooping on my bed or my clothes or whatever else - usually was a food/litter problem - and also, since he is very affectionate and requires attention - can get jealous - he has been fine for awhile - I just have to remember to give him his quality time every day and he's okay.

ALSO - once it turned out to be a urinary tract infection - so, do check him out with the vet first.

POOPING on the bed

Baxter my 12 year old cat did this too until I listened to him. The litter pans were old and did not clean up as well. So I got new litter pans. And a very happy cat.
    Sandy Frost

Well, ironically, I switched back to clay litter and she hasn't done it since. I had used Fresh Step Crystals for a year and she was fine with it. Then suddenly, she wasn't. Switched back to clay and (knock on wood) problem solved.

jen218300;236512

Quote Originally Posted by jen218300 View Post
    Well, ironically, I switched back to clay litter and she hasn't done it since. I had used Fresh Step Crystals for a year and she was fine with it. Then suddenly, she wasn't. Switched back to clay and (knock on wood) problem solved.
    GOOD! Whatever works. My cat loves Tidy cat.
    Sandy Frost

So glad to have seen this, my cat just started doing the same thing! My boyfriend thinks it's because my daughter wets her bed and the cat smells it so she goes poop there. She does not pee on my daughter's bed though. I am going to try a new litter box, this one is old, but we keep it clean, will try a different litter as well though we have always used the same one. I had wondered if it was because she just had kittens, because she never did this before their birth, and that's the only thing different...my daughter has been wetting her bed at night for a long time, the cat always slept with her before she had the kittens and never pooped on her bed. It is just so strange-and time consuming to change and wash the bed sheets and comforter every time!!

Quote Originally Posted by ReneeKathleen View Post
    So glad to have seen this, my cat just started doing the same thing! My boyfriend thinks it's because my daughter wets her bed and the cat smells it so she goes poop there. She does not pee on my daughter's bed though. I am going to try a new litter box, this one is old, but we keep it clean, will try a different litter as well though we have always used the same one. I had wondered if it was because she just had kittens, because she never did this before their birth, and that's the only thing different...my daughter has been wetting her bed at night for a long time, the cat always slept with her before she had the kittens and never pooped on her bed. It is just so strange-and time consuming to change and wash the bed sheets and comforter every time!!
    How long has it been since she had her kittens? Are the kittens still around? Where is the letterbox located, might she want it somewhere more private now that she's a mom?
    I've Been Frosted